Homemade Training Equipment

Posted by: pressureguy

Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 04:30 PM

Everyone list your favorite homemade training equipment.
Please, no weapons. Just stick to things like striking pads, homemade gloves, stretching machines, etc.

pressureguy

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 04:33 PM

I will list a few off the top of my head and add more later:

1. Take a 2-liter soda bottle and fill it up about 2/3's with water. Tie it with some rope from a tree or rafter and use it as a striking target. The higher the branch or rafter is, the farther the arc and longer return time for the bottle to come back to you. I have used sand as well, but prefer water.

2. Use "Fun Noodles" as blocking bats. Fun Noodles are those foam tubes that people use as pool toys. They can act as striking bats that are sold for around $30 (US) by marital art companies.

3. A upholstery company could make striking shields. They would be similar to large couch cushions.

4. "Ghetto Wavemaster" (I recently read about this one, but have never made it)--Take a 6-8 foot tree or post and stack old tires one it. As you start stacking the tires [placing them so that the stem of tree goes through the open space of the tire], fill each tire with sandbags and make sure they're securely connected [by bolts or some other method]. When the tires reach to or close to the height of the tree, find something to cover the top.

Everyone keep adding and try to continue numbering the ideas.
The next person should start with #5.

pressureguy
Posted by: MikoReklaw

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 08:45 PM

5- A piece of paper, held on just one side, to do finger jabs through [lot harder then it sounds].

6- Empty-bottle variation of #1.

7- Head-level kicks in Waist deep water.

8- Big bucket of sand for fingerjabs.

9- Dirty Clothes. I seperate my clothes by throwing them in the air with my foot, then kicking them into the pile they belong using various kicks.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 08:58 PM

Take one large duffel bag with as few zips as you can find, a lot of sand or soft soil and cover it entirely in duct tape and you've got a home-made heavy bag. Tie it to a rafter with some rope. Not as good as the real thing and it will not last as long but it is slightly less expensive and works just the same.

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 09:58 PM

11. Make an easel out of lumber and bolt a tire to it. You can cut up another tire into thirds and bolt the three sections on as arms and a head as well.

12. Tie or tape a rope to a tennis ball and use it as a striking target.

13. Use empty anti-freeze jugs as striking targets. One person holds the handle of the jug and another person kicks the target.

14. Here is a site with free plans for building your own traditional mook yan jong (Wing Chun Wooden Dummy) http://www.wckfc.com/news/dummy/

15. Here are the plans for a pvc dummy http://karateconnection.com/dummy.htm
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 10:12 PM

16. 7 foot long bamboo, 1.5 - 2 inches thick, stick it in the ground, secure overhead somehow.

Use it to condition shins and forearms, starting aim - to condition, anvanced aim - to break.

17. hang a number of strips of leather so there parallel, depending on the thickness of the leather and your level you adjust the number of strips to your needs.

Use it to practice knifehand strikes and whatever else you can use it for.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 10:23 PM

18. Put big tires on the ground. Presto, you got a homemade trampoline, good for exercising your legs when rope becomes boring.

19. Put a thick layer of cloth onto a pillar. Duct-tape well, and you got a home-made maki-wara.

20. Take that thing you bake bread with [you know, that round thing you make dough flat with]. Put it on table and roll your forearms over them. Then roll them over your shin. You got shin conditioner.

21. Fill a bucket with sand [not to much]. Attach your belt onto it and then bite your belt. Pull it up and down to condition your neck. Be careful, this may injure your neck if improperly done.

22. If you have a sandy area near your home like a beach. Go to beach and do shadow boxing. Tough to be honest.

-Taison out
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 02/19/06 10:49 PM

Quote:

20. Take that thing you bake bread with [you know, that round thing you make dough flat with]. Put it on table and roll your forearms over them. Then roll them over your shin. You got shin conditioner.

That would be a rolling pin

23. flat rock, out of the garden or off the beach, use to condition palms.

24. boil kettle, pour hot water into sink, place hands in water, usually done after 23, although if to hot wait until its only just bareable then place hands in water.
Posted by: Wheyfaced

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 07/31/11 07:00 AM

I made a modified choy lee fut dummy (for wing chun). Works kinda like a martialarm. If u dont no what a martialarm is google it. its good for training pritty much every aspect of wing chun. laps, paks, bong sau, tan sau, stomp kicks, foot work. And I believe reflexolagie. (if thats how u spell it) I have pictures on my facebook so if u wish to take a look just search for me on there. Search; mark white. I live on the central coast of nsw australia. My dp is my car a black vw bora. The modified choy lee fut design isnt mine a mutual friend over facebook posted the plans and allowed me to duplicate them. If your interested please take a look.
Posted by: eagleyed

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 08/02/11 07:01 PM

25. plastic bottle or bucket with weight. tie one end of a rope to it and the other end of the rope to a pole or baton. Hold baton at arms length in front of you and wind the rope up backwards and forwards. Good for strengthening the grip. Learnt years ago in Judo class.
Posted by: 47MartialMan

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 08/02/11 07:33 PM

House cinder blocks
Posted by: Jeff_G

Re: Homemade Training Equipment - 08/04/11 06:19 PM

I always carried a bag of balloons for use as target practice. It works great to tie one to a string and hang it at whatever height you like. Kicking them around the room is a great exercise for adults and kids. Pull out the teardrop type for the hotshots in the class. It is humbling in that you need to hit it squarely in the middle of the rounded end. Miss that and it just tumbles in place.

Enjoy!