KaJuKenBo

Posted by: Mu Ryuk

KaJuKenBo - 02/17/06 10:16 PM

Hey all, looking for some information. The university I hope to begin attending in the fall (the California Maritime Academy, www.csum.edu if anyone is interested) has several sports I'm interested...competitively only Crew, but there is also a non-contact kickboxing club where I hope to coach for some work, a Wrestling club, and KaJuKenBo classes. This leads to my questions.

I know as well as anyone else that it depends on the school, but if anyone could help me with these basic questions, I'd appreciate it.

In your experience:

Karate - As far as I know, the karate portion of KaJuKenBo comes from Tang Soo Do, which is fortunate for me, as I am fairly well versed in Tang Soo Do. Is the TSD in KJKB heavily emphasized? How much are kicks used? Are they high kicks like in traditional TSD, or lower as in Japanese/Okinawan martial arts?

Jiu-Jitsu/Judo - Is there any Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in this system, or is it strictly Japanese?

(Mu Ryuk PRAYS that there's at least SOME BJJ involved)

Kenpo - Well, honestly no questions here.

Boxing - How heavily is Western Boxing emphasized in KaJuKenBo?

Sparring - Is it usually full contact, or at least hard contact, and somewhat kickboxing style, or more point sparring?

I'm decently proficient in TSD, BJJ and Boxing, so I hope these are heavily emphasized aspects at the Maritime Academy.

Thanks for any input.
Posted by: oldman

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/17/06 10:40 PM

A bit of history...

The word Kajukenbo is derived from the letter of the styles that contributed to the creation of the art. Together they make up the Kajukenbo motto: Through this fist art one gains long life and happiness.

KA (long life) - comes from the word Karate, an art form that places the emphasis on hard and powerful techniques. The karate influence was from Tang Soo Do brought by P.Y.Y. Choo.

JU (happiness) - comes from Judo and Jujitsu, art forms that emphasize throwing, locks and sweeps. The judo and jujitsu influence was from Kodenkan Danzan Ryu brought by Joe Holck and Se Keino Ryu brought by Frank Ordonez.

KEN (fist) - comes from Kenpo, a form of karate that not only stresses the hard and powerful movements, but emphasizes multiple and fluid hand techniques. The kenpo influence was from Kosho Shorei Kenpo brought by Adriano Emperado.

BO (style) - comes from Chinese and American boxing. Chinese boxing means Kung Fu, which puts emphasis on flexibility and agility, parrying and evasive movements that flow together. The Chinese boxing influence was from Northern and Southern Sil-lum styles brought by Clarence Chang.

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/17/06 10:45 PM

Thanks Mark...I totally read that right before I posted...hahaha.

Thanks for caring though.

Posted by: jcsenton

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/18/06 10:49 AM

I'm actually studying kajukenbo right now and man I love it.

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/18/06 12:19 PM

Quote:

I'm actually studying kajukenbo right now and man I love it.

Cool...so...uh...any help with my questions, maybe? Haha.

Thanks.
Posted by: jcsenton

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/18/06 02:50 PM

Well oldman pretty much described what kajukenbo is about. To be more specific it teaches several karate kicks such as the front kick, step shuffle side kick, roundhouse kicks, and so on. My instructors usually advise not to do high kicks to the head because that would be like punching someone in the foot so they focus on low kicks not to high above the belt.

The style also teaches boxing techniques like the cross, jab, hook, uppercut, along with elbow strikes. This style is very much like kickboxing except it has some more grappling moves like joint locks and some dirty tactics like pokes, and troat strikes.

Hope that answers your question.
Posted by: thisguy

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/19/06 05:06 PM

i just have a quetion for oldman: how is Tang Soo Do concidered Karate? From my understanding, Tang Soo Do is a Korean art where as Karate is an Okinawa art.

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/20/06 02:25 PM

Tang Soo Do is almost identical to Shotokan Karate. That's where it comes from, Okinawan and Japanese Karate, just with higher kicks and some other minor differences.
Posted by: oldman

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/20/06 04:08 PM

Well it's kind of like Apples. You got yer "Granny Smith" and yer "Macintosh". Both are apples but they have different characteristics and flavors. Both the words Kara and Tang can refer to "China" China hand way. Funikoshi used "Kara" so as to mean "empty" hand. Karate Do + empty hand way.
Posted by: schanne

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/20/06 04:48 PM

Looks like a nice place, are you going for marine biology or related?

Non-contact kickboxing......hmmmmmm very interesting
Posted by: kaju7

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/20/06 07:56 PM

Kajukenbo, like many other styles, has certain requirements like forms and pre-arranged responses to different types of attacks. When you have to perform these then I'd say kicks may show up anywhere from 20-40% of the time and they're usually aimed at the groin or higher.

Jujitsu, of the Japanese variety, is used for joint locks and judo appears as sweeps mainly. Boxing has some strikes taken from it like mentioned previously.

How much you use kicks and boxing combinations in 'street' fighting is up to you. A simplistic view of street fighting at my school means that you come up with the techniques that you want to string together in response to uke's attack. You keep up your attack until uke is curled up on the floor and you've got control. Kicks are usually to the groin or lower when uke is standing and then to many other targets when uke is on the ground.

Kajukenbo doesn't have ground fighting as part of its curriculum, however, it's up to the teacher whether or not it's taught at the school. Kajukenbo isn't like Shotokan, for example, in the sense that you can go to any Shotokan school and expect the same curriculum to be taught. (That's an assumption on my part about traditional martial arts.) Kajukenbo encourages the practitioner to keep what's useful to them, modify what isn't and incorporate other things that are useful. Your instructor may or may not have incorporated ground fighting.

Sparring is continuous and is usually in the light to medium contact range. That's really up to your partners (and school policy) how hard they want to be hit. You're welcome to use any level of kicking and boxing combinations that you find effective. You may even be able to talk your partner into transitioning from stand up fighting to ground fighting.

Re: KaJuKenBo - 02/21/06 12:51 AM

Thanks for the info, Kaju7.

Schanne: I am going to major in Global Studies & Maritime Affairs, and probably minor in law, though I may change that minor to some type of engineering. And don't worry about the kickboxing...it's kickboxing workouts without sparring...Thai pads, focus mitts, heavy bag, etc...or at least that's how it'll be if I teach there! To be totally honest, I'd like to see if I can persuade the club to become competitive, heh heh...