really depressed :(

Posted by: inneedofhelp

really depressed :( - 02/15/06 08:41 PM

My main goal in life is to join martial arts and be good at it but there is one main factor discouraging me and holding me back. I have really terrible eyesight. It is about -6 which is horrible and I can barely see my opponent if i do join. Contacts are not possible for me. Laser eye surgery is not possible for me. Any advice if I should join martial arts?
Posted by: TKDBlackBelt

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 08:51 PM

Have you every seen this one movie, I cant remember what it is called, but it was about a blind swordsman. He was able to defeat many men at once. Now I know that it isnt realistic but the point is that you are letting your limitation limmit you. Dont worry about your sight, you have ears and a nose and the sense of touch. I went blind for a day for psychology class and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I could hear everything but didnt have the practice to distiguish a certain sound from a noise, but it takes practice. You are not going to be good at a martial art if you dont practice. Same in your case, you just have to take that first step. Most instructors will work with you to teach you their MA. I am in a TKD class and we had a kid in a wheelchair come and join class. TKD is the art of the leggs and he couldnt use his but he still tried, later I think he joined a judo class.

TKDBlackBelt
"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there"
Jonh Wooden
Posted by: TeK9

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 09:02 PM

Hey if you have a passion for the martial art, then I say go for it no matter what, there are men, woman and children everyday who practice the martial arts despite disabilities. Poor eyesight is no excuse to ignore your passion. It is not uncommen for blind children to receive thier black belts. Please keep in mind you have other sense othe than sight. The ability to feel is very important in self defense, it is not always about sight. Being able to blend in with your opponent/attacker is not a matter of sight but of touch and sound. Please dont give up on your goal, my brother as really bad eyesight, he is virtually blind when he takes off his glasses, and has trouble identifying individuals when he spars and yet despite this, he still tries. I urge you to take up jujitsu,judo or aikido these arts emphaises blending with your attacker and using their force against them. You will see just how incredible you can be.

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 09:12 PM

Thanks for replying makes me feel better.
Yeah I've heard of these stories but I feel that I wont be as mobile as the other students since wearing my glasses restricts my movement and taking them off makes them so I can't see my opponent. I think of the future and I know i can probably get a black belt but i dont think i'll be capable of getting any higher with such bad eyesight
Posted by: oldman

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 09:17 PM

Inoh,
You mentioned being depressed. Practicing martial arts can contribute to both physical and good mental health. That being said it is also not a cure for depression. Depression is a very common expeirience and can have many causes. I would encourage you to talk to the people closest to you for support. I would also encourage you to see a doctor for a thorough check up. In doing so you can put together a plan for increasing you health and happiness.
Some people are blind, some just lack vision.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 09:18 PM

A grappling art is perfect for you. In many grappling arts, you can't really see your opponent, you're feeling their position. You would probably be excellently suited for Judo, BJJ or Wrestling!

I hope you choose one of these arts because you will surely enjoy yourself and be able to take advantage of your full potential if you do.
Posted by: MikoReklaw

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 09:18 PM

Do not be depressed, because even with bad eyesight, one can learn to fight. Just make sure your instructor knows, so taht he/she can put you with someone that will help you grasp your basics. In fact, your eyesight will become a help rather than a hinderance as time goes on.

Without being able to see the people around you while training, you will not focus on how someone else is doing a technique. Instead, you will focus intently on your own execution of technique.

And once you progress into kumite, you will have an advantage in the fact that you cannot focus on one point, as many newbies tend to do while sparring. You will learn to watch without your eyes, and hone not jsut your peripheral vision and combat awareness, but you will develop what is best described as a low-level version of ESP. You will see and feel a technique faster than you can realize, almost as if ur reading the person's mind.

When you lose one sense, all others are strengthened. Just remember that, and train hard. You will do very well, if you keep your dedication.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 09:26 PM

Are you sure contacts aren't possible?
I'm -4.5 and have been wearing soft-lens contacts for 20 years without problems. a couple of times they folded up under my lid on me during practice which is painful, but they've never popped out during contact sparring or 2-person drills. The hard lenses pop out easy during training - I don't recommend those.

I use extended wear disposables...wear them for 2 weeks, day and night, them throw them away. no cleaning. they have 4-week ones too.

I think the maximum correction strength for contacts now is up to -6/+6 ... call an optomitrist.

If you are too young or not elegible for contacts, another option is impact safe glasses. then you just wear a strap behind the head to prevent them from slipping off.

what I did when I was younger is train without glasses. my near vision is excellent, my far vision stinks... so by not wearing my glasses, I could see perfect when sparring/training close in. this was a good habit for goju fighting. during testing it was good because everyone around watching was just a blur and easier to ignore and concentrate. same thing with kata practice. another bonus was since the sensei knew my distance vision was poor, he knew he had to show up close.

turn a disadvantage into your advantage.

Re: really depressed :( - 02/15/06 09:26 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'm feeling better that I can join martial arts. Its not really depression though just dissappointment. Now that I've heard your guys' opinions I think I'll join and stay dedicated. Thnx again for assuring me!
Posted by: JonRobbie

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 04:22 AM

hey Im impressed, U guys really went out of ur way to make this guy feel he could do just about anything
u shud all congratulate yourselves, most message boards are all bout complaining and chest beating men competing over their keyboards
Job well done
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 04:32 AM

I've seen people practicing MA in wheelchairs.

If you are a man and also a little deaf, you'll make a perfect husband
Posted by: BrianS

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 04:32 AM

Quote:

hey Im impressed, U guys really went out of ur way to make this guy feel he could do just about anything
u shud all congratulate yourselves, most message boards are all bout complaining and chest beating men competing over their keyboards
Job well done

Crap! Now I can't reply like I wanted to,thanks!
Posted by: trevek

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 05:12 AM

I've read about vERY successful blind judo players. Also, something like Tai Chi, with pushing hands sensitivity training could be useful.

How about kendo? You could wear glasses behind the the mask.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 05:40 AM

Quote:

My main goal in life is to join martial arts and be good at it but there is one main factor discouraging me and holding me back. I have really terrible eyesight. It is about -6 which is horrible and I can barely see my opponent if i do join. Contacts are not possible for me. Laser eye surgery is not possible for me. Any advice if I should join martial arts?

Hey inneedofhelp,

My words of encouragement to you is to join and give it a shot. Remember the MA works off of feel more than just sight so don't forget you other senses that are heighten due to the fact that your eye sight is poor. We practice all of our self defense with our eyes shut as much as with them open. A good drill is to work your self defense with your eyes close and once you feel a tap or a touch to open your eyes and explode into technique. So please don't train only cause of the fact your eyesight is poor because your other senses will make up for that dilema ok.
Posted by: Landus

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 06:59 AM

Go for it inneedofhelp, I really hope you succeed and fulful your potential. Luck, I have feeling you don't need
Posted by: Landus

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 07:04 AM

Yes, I also agree with Trevek after reading what he said. I do Tai Chi Chuan, and we do pushing hands with our EYES CLOSED We solely rely on touch.

Looking at the above, I think Judo and Tai Chi Chuan would really work well for you.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 07:22 AM

I have bad eye sight. My glass give a new meaning to coke bottle's. However, I have been wearing soft contacts since I was 15 and I am now 33. Like Ed, I have had them flip under my eye lid, which wasn't painful, just weird feeling and a pain to get out from under your eye. But, don't let that discourage you from trying contact. My eyes are +4.25 which makes me far sighted. I can see far without my glasses, but things get blurry up close.

Don't let the limitation stop you, I say go for it and have fun with you. Good luck!
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 01:24 PM

Ive had poor eye sight since I was four years old (about -5), of course on many occasions whilst getting older Ive had to take off my glasses to partake in a physical activity, but over time Ive gotten used to doing that, sparring isnt much of a problem, infact I fight better wothout them since I need to be more careful of my opponent, but really I dont notice whilst Im sparring anyway, just got to focus on your goal.

There are no linits, only plateus. -Bruce Lee
Posted by: Crazy_Eyes

Re: really depressed :( - 02/16/06 10:02 PM

Hey man, you'll make it so dont even worry about that. I've got bad eyes too, I have no depth perception, and i'm in Tae Kwon Do. It was hard at first but i've gotten way better, I'm a 2nd degree now, your eyes and body will adapt. Just dont get discouraged buddy, I'm confident you'll make it man
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: really depressed :( - 02/17/06 05:17 PM

There is a guy training for his blue belt in jiu jitsu with the WJJF that I have heard about from many people. He trains in County Down, N.Ireland.

His name is Dave. He is registered blind.

You can.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: really depressed :( - 02/17/06 05:27 PM

There is this BB in an aikido school around my way, he is blind. I went to check out a class and he amazed me. First off when i was introduced to him he knew where i was standing by the sound of my breathing and footsteps. He was an awesome aikidoka. Also my sensei is paralyzed from the neck down. What i am saying is there are thousands of people that have disabilities. To me your problem doesnt seem that bad compared to these guys, get out there and do your thing! Quit digging a hole and build a mountain !
Posted by: trevek

Re: really depressed :( - 02/17/06 05:30 PM

here's a few links you might find interesting:

http://www.chinastrategies.com/maindex.htm

http://www.chinastrategies.com/maindex.htm

http://dmoz.org/Sports/Martial_Arts/Disabled/Blind/

http://judoinfo.com/usaba.htm

http://edweb6.educ.msu.edu/kin866/resnarvaez1.htm

Re: really depressed :( - 02/17/06 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the inspiration and it makes me feel better that I can accomplish what I set my mind to even with a vision impairment. For helping me make up my mind about my ambition thank you. Thanks to all for helping me feel better and some of you are really wise

I guess it's time to look for a dojo
Posted by: yamig

Re: really depressed :( - 02/17/06 10:43 PM

Cool. Have you decided on a specific art? (thats in your area) Alot of people here are pretty experienced, and I'm sure could help you if you wanted it.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: really depressed :( - 02/17/06 10:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks to all for helping me feel better and some of you are really wise

Blessed are those who do not see and yet believed

Keep us posted.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: really depressed :( - 02/18/06 12:05 PM

Quote:

A grappling art is perfect for you. In many grappling arts, you can't really see your opponent, you're feeling their position. You would probably be excellently suited for Judo, BJJ or Wrestling!

I hope you choose one of these arts because you will surely enjoy yourself and be able to take advantage of your full potential if you do.

That's what I was thinking, although years ago I trained in karate with a man who was almost totally blind. If you can't see well it makes sense to keep your opponent as close as possible. Good luck!
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: really depressed :( - 02/18/06 03:00 PM

before I got contacts I used to always spar with my classes on, it just made me concentrate all the harder on not getting hit in the head!

Matt
Posted by: Little Dragon

Re: really depressed :( - 02/18/06 07:47 PM

Hi there inneedofhelp,
I used to wear glasses until last year. In the dojo the sensei told me that it was better if I trained without glasses.I couldn't see far only up close. The other day though I posted a thread on what exercises would give me better reflexes, they said to take turns with a sparring partner, blindfolding each other,that leaves one person blinfolded trying to attack the unblinded person. They said this worked for them, and it works for me, so it should work for you. Don't let your poor eyesight get in the way of your goal to mastering the martial arts.And remember, nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal;nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude" Thomas Jefferson

Little Dragon

-The expert in anything, was once a begginer
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: really depressed :( - 02/18/06 11:58 PM

I agree with Leo. Take up grappling. And if you want a striking art then go for Wing Chun. The art of sticky hands. It was said, I believe by Ted Wong, that Bruce Lee was unhittable, even blindfolded, once he made contact with his "sticky hands".
Posted by: jonnyblade

Re: really depressed :( - 02/19/06 05:58 PM

You can always get prescription saftey glasses like a lot of basket ball players have, the ruber ones. If that don't work you gotta grapple, try freestyle wrestling or bjj.

Quote: