Wu Shu Kwan - Chineese Boxing

Posted by: billythekid

Wu Shu Kwan - Chineese Boxing - 02/15/06 07:14 PM

is there anyone that practices Wu Shu Kwan chineese Boxing in the forum? this was my first martial art and since have tried Mu Thai, shotogan Karate and just recently Tae Kwon Do but have not been impressed like I was with Wu Shu Kwan and was wondering if there is anyone that has practiced Wu Shu Kwan that can suggest another martial art that i might consider as there is not any classes in WSK in the area I have moved to and i wasnt too impressed with the Tae Kwando class i went to last night. Dont get me wrong is was good to be training again but i missed the use of the arms and the discipline. Also i have never sweated like when training for WSK. It was a true workout for all of the body and the sparring was hardcore but the discipline of the art and the experience of the instructors meant that you were always pushed and took some punishment but never to the point of loosing self respect or feeling threatened. You could learn to take a hit but it was not an exercise in mindlessly bashing each other up like Mu Thai was. I liked the balance between skill and contact. Suggestions appreciated ..
cheers,

Billy
Posted by: baby_bwoy

Re: Wu Shu Kwan - Chineese Boxing - 02/15/06 09:07 PM

ive been doing wu shu kwan for 5 years now, and i agree with the comment that its a hardcore routine with good technical work... where do you live and where did you study it....good luck...blesss
Posted by: Taison

Re: Wu Shu Kwan - Chineese Boxing - 02/15/06 09:33 PM

No disrespect intended but you got some real funny spelling
Quote:

Mu Thai, Shotogan

Next time, try MUAY Thai and SHOTOKAN karate.

Quote:

mindlessly bashing each other up like Mu Thai was.

Last time I did MT it wasn't like this. This means you were in a bad gym. Seriously, MT teaches you to respect your sparring partner, but again, many of the spiritual aspects were lost on the boat to USA. How long did you do MT? Was it more than 3 weeks?

I haven't done Wu Shu Kwan but I did Shuai Jiao and if my assumption is right WSK is the same thing as Wushu which means you and me have some things in common. But if it's not right, then blast me with a photon acid blast.

-Taison out
Posted by: billythekid

Re: Wu Shu Kwan - Chineese Boxing - 02/16/06 04:17 AM

i live in leeds, UK now well during the week anyway (orginally from hertfordshire) and i orginially trained in manchester through the UMIST university with Gavin Barton, who had previously trained in wales. There are loads of classes in london which is great but very few up north. We once trained in Liverpool before a grading and there were a couple of guys there who were very good. Apparently there is a class in north yorks but i dont know if it is still happening. the website for Wu Shu Kwan is very poor and there is no way of contacting the organisation apart from by post which is very annoying...
I think that anyone who is still involved in this sport should take it upon themselves to speak to grand master chang and his wife tracy to get the image of the sport via the website sorted out. It is very important these days with the internet as big as it is. At least to have email contact put on the website dont you think? if it is true and there are 150 classes in london surely someone training there is a web developer and could take it upon themselves to volenteer to give the site a bit of a overhall perhaps?

sorry about the spelling. I think you are right - i did get a bad class - unfortunately if the instructor was a egotistical maniac like this guy was (think short man syndrome) then beating up your new students must seem like a real ego boost, especially when you know they have done some kind of MA's before - proving that your MA is better, even though you are the instructor is not the way to spread the benefits of your sport!

I'm still open to suggestions of what else to look for up north until I can find a decent class or move though!

are there any martial arts that teach the way of the samurai anymore?
Posted by: baby_bwoy

Re: Wu Shu Kwan - Chineese Boxing - 02/16/06 05:55 AM

to taison..wu shu kwan and wu shu are quite different, they have only the slightest similiarities i believe...

to billythekid, yeah i know what you mean about the web site. but you can try this site..http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/acc/kungfu/...i train in london in finsbury park, so if your ever in the london area yuo should come and check out my class, its regarded as being one of the best in the area..good luck once again...