CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs?

Posted by: ETHOS

CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 01/14/06 12:51 AM

HI all
I just wanted to ask you folks if you guys/girs have heard about a martial art system developted by Chuck Norris? I read it in the back of a Century catalog and i'm just to curious.
thanks in advance.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 01/14/06 01:59 AM

Chuck is the founder of Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way"). Schools that train in his method are apart of the United Fighting Arts Federation (UFAF).
Posted by: TeK9

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 01/14/06 03:16 AM

Wow he create dhis own system of MA? I never knew that. I knew he was part of that organization but I had no idea about his own fighting system. I seriously doubt he strayed away from Tang Soo Do, TKD and Judo. It's probably a combination of all 3. The name of his system is that in Korean or in Japanese?
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 01/14/06 03:26 AM

It's not Japanese.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 01/15/06 03:23 AM

Quote:

Quoted by Wikipedia:
Norris has indicated in his autobiography that he has black belts in Tang Soo Do, Taekwondo, and is founder of Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way"). Mr. Norris has also practiced Judo, Shinto-Ryu Karate, and Brazilian jujutsu. He is also founder of The United Fighting Arts Federation (UFAF).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Norris

Quote:

Quoted by Chuck Norris's Official Website:
In 1997, Chuck achieved another milestone in his life by being the first man ever in the Western Hemisphere to be awarded an 8th degree Black Belt Grand Master recognition in the Tae Kwon Do system. This was a first in 4,500 years of tradition.

http://www.chucknorris.com/html/biog.html
Posted by: AmericanTangSoo

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 08/31/08 11:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quoted by Wikipedia:
Norris has indicated in his autobiography that he has black belts in Tang Soo Do, Taekwondo, and is founder of Chun Kuk Do ("Universal Way"). Mr. Norris has also practiced Judo, Shinto-Ryu Karate, and Brazilian jujutsu. He is also founder of The United Fighting Arts Federation (UFAF).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Norris

Quote:

Quoted by Chuck Norris's Official Website:
In 1997, Chuck achieved another milestone in his life by being the first man ever in the Western Hemisphere to be awarded an 8th degree Black Belt Grand Master recognition in the Tae Kwon Do system. This was a first in 4,500 years of tradition.

http://www.chucknorris.com/html/biog.html

Actually that's incorrect about the first westerner to be awarded an 8th dan in TKD. Years before two other Americans Charles Sereff and Edward Sell had received that honor.

I'm a black belt in American Tang Soo Do, the original system he developed before he renamed it Chun Kuk Do in around 1990 or 1991. My instructor was a black belt under him back in the 1970s. So this is what I know about his MA background based on what has been written and my instructor and other senior black belts under Norris.

Chuck originally trained in Judo and reached brown belt before injuring his shoulder. In 1960 while recovering he began to train in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and eventually earned his black belt in it. Chuck taught traditional TSD-MDK up until 1966 or so. It was around that time that he perceived that TSD-MDK had a lot of weaknesses especially in the punching area. Norris began training with shotokan masters Hidetake Nishiyama and Tsutomu Oshima, Gosaku-ryu founder Tak Kubata, shito-ryu master Fumio Demura, American Kenpo founder Ed Parker, and the legandary "Judo" Gene LeBell. Norris added techniques from each of those systems into his own. The system was referred to by some as American Tang Soo Do or the Chuck Norris Karate System. In the late 1980s he began training in Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu and made it mandatory for his "students" to train in as part of his Chun Kuk Do system (named originated in 1991).

The only MAs that Chuck Norris legitimately earned black belt in were traditional Tang Soo Do, Judo, and BJJ (under the Machado brothers). His 8th dan black belt in TKD from what I understand was just an "honorary" promotion given to him because he's Chuck Norris. Chuck has not formal training in TKD, if one were to ask him to perform a TKD form I'd bet the farm he wouldn't be able to demonstrate one.
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/01/08 12:10 AM

I saw that chun kuk do thing in the century mag a long time ago too. they had cool black and yellow uniforms, black and yellow bos, and some other black and yellow stuff with chuck's name on it. i don't think i ever saw it again after that. did it ever take off?
Posted by: Yugen83

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/01/08 06:26 PM

I wasn't aware that Chuck had a black belt in TKD, I thought his mother style was TSD. I tried Chun Kuk Do before. It seemed like a cross between TSD and BJJ with Kobudo thrown in for good measure.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/01/08 07:09 PM

Quote:

Chuck has not formal training in TKD, if one were to ask him to perform a TKD form I'd bet the farm he wouldn't be able to demonstrate one.

And why would he (or anyone) want to? You are talking about a man who had his tonsils removed with a chainsaw and can blow bubbles with beef jerky.

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/01/08 10:26 PM

i would take it just for the black and yellow uniforms.
Posted by: trevek

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/04/08 01:36 PM

"Actually that's incorrect about the first westerner to be awarded an 8th dan in TKD. Years before two other Americans Charles Sereff and Edward Sell had received that honor."

I actually had this out with his fan-page and they sulkily told me I must have an "issue with Chuck Norris" and that it was true about him being the first 8th Dan.

I pointed out that a certain Black Belt website had pages about Chuck Serref.

They pointed out that the site belonged to Bob Wall, Chuck's best friend, and spo I should take it up with him (ya boo to you!). I did and Mr Wall not only agreed with me but explained that CN had been misinformed by the association which awarded him the belt.

I wrote back to the fan-page but nither it or CN's page on Mr Wall's site has ever been amended.

A shame someone as amazing as Chuck Norris needs to rely on duff information when the truth is amazing enough.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/04/08 01:53 PM

AND if I'm not mistaken, the 8th Dan TKD was an HONORARY rank awarded to CN by General Choi for his contributions to the Korean arts (TSD).

VDJ

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/05/08 05:06 AM

Which makes it all the more bizarre that he was told it was the first awarded to a westerner, as Gen. Choi awarded Chuck Serref his 8th and 9th Dan. (unless they meant it was the first Honarary 8th dan)

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/05/08 05:10 AM

Lots of honorary martial arts ranks are given to famous people. I believe Wesley snipes was given an honorary 6th degree in tkd.

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/05/08 07:01 AM

Agreed, Brian. However, IF Chuck's 8th Dan was awarded by Gen. Choi I can't understand why ITF would tell him he was the 1st western 8th Dan when about the same time Chuck Serref was picking up his ITF 9th dan.

What is more, I am gobsmacked that while me, a mere nocody, could pick up an edition of TKD-Times and know CS (who I'd never heard of) was an 8th Dan, how was CN (involved a teensy bit more in US MA scene than me) not know of him or GM Sells... particularly when it is on a website he is a member of?

Bizarre!

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/07/08 04:56 PM

Quote:

Lots of honorary martial arts ranks are given to famous people. I believe Wesley snipes was given an honorary 6th degree in tkd.

Well, doesn't that just cheapen the value of a black belt then? If people are being awarded some of the highest ranks in a style just because they are famous then what is that really saying about the style in question? You don't even have to train in that style, but if you are famous then you can be awarded a top tier ranking within that style? I am glad that I am not associated with that.

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/07/08 09:45 PM

Quote:

Well, doesn't that just cheapen the value of a black belt then?

Alot of things do these days.

Quote:

If people are being awarded some of the highest ranks in a style just because they are famous then what is that really saying about the style in question? You don't even have to train in that style, but if you are famous then you can be awarded a top tier ranking within that style? I am glad that I am not associated with that.

Don't believe that your style doesn't do similar things. Politics I'm afraid. Blackbelt means nothing anymore.

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/07/08 10:17 PM

Quote:

Blackbelt means nothing anymore.

i'd have to disagree. blackbelt means something to those who earn them legitmately and devote themselves to that cause. whether or not it means something to someone else is what means nothing.

-TKD_X

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/07/08 10:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Blackbelt means nothing anymore.

i'd have to disagree. blackbelt means something to those who earn them legitmately and devote themselves to that cause. whether or not it means something to someone else is what means nothing.

-TKD_X

A blackbelt is just a piece of cloth. Little kids have them, people can order them on ebay,anyone can "earn" one in about 1.5 yrs of twice a week 45minutes a class,etc..
I don't see them as holding as much martial value as they once did.
If it means something to you fine,just don't expect anyone to respect it.

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/08/08 04:41 AM

these things are like the honorary degrees which universities give. essentially they show rcognition of the work of an individual in a particular field which reflects the values of the awarding body.

In many cases this is probably well deserved. For instance, CN promoted Korean arts and has done a lot of sterling work with social programmes like "Kick Drugs Out of America" etc. So if Gen Choi felt he deserved an honorary belt then fair enough.

It is a major problem when someone gets something purely for fame or profit. I recall one little girl who was too nervous to do her grading (when I did mine) and for some reason was awarded an honorary belt (maybe she'd done something else, I don't know).

Boy, did my belt feel a whole lot lighter and cheaper.

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/10/08 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, doesn't that just cheapen the value of a black belt then?

Quote:

If people are being awarded some of the highest ranks in a style just because they are famous then what is that really saying about the style in question? You don't even have to train in that style, but if you are famous then you can be awarded a top tier ranking within that style? I am glad that I am not associated with that.

Don't believe that your style doesn't do similar things. Politics I'm afraid. Blackbelt means nothing anymore.

Oh, I am quite sure that every style does similar things to this. You know, dealings under the table, I know you so I'll give you rank anyways, and other such practices. Hmmm, perhaps using "style" was a bit much and now I am leaning more towards "organization" since the style isn't recognizing your rank, it is the organization who does that. IMO, the black belt has lost a lot of value because there are so many friggin people earning them in two years from Mcdojo's these days. Kind of a martial inflation, so to speak. Easy black belts and honorary black belts tell me that perhaps its time for the whole belt system to be dropped altogether, or at least refined to a certain point. Or someone could pull a Joo Bang Lee and start demoting people back down to white belt . I guess that as long as the black belt remains a key selling point in the arts then there will be belt mills who churn out sloppy, two year black belts by the bucket load.

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/10/08 02:57 AM

Quote:

Like 3 year old black belts. Soon, there will be ultra sound scans of babies wearing black belts while still in their mother's womb.
Posted by: ShaoLimper

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/15/08 05:04 AM

This was a first in 4,500 years of tradition.

But TKD is barely 80 years old...

Re: CHUCK NORRIS'S MAs? - 09/15/08 08:04 PM

Quote:

This was a first in 4,500 years of tradition.

But TKD is barely 80 years old...

I know, right? It is amazing just how far some people will drag out a lie just because they feel inadequate next to others. I can see exaggerating a bit, but outright lying that badly? Some people have some serious issues.