Whats in Your Wallet?

Posted by: oldman

Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 11:07 AM

Folks,
There is an add on TV these days that features hordes of barbarians chasing credit card users. At the end of the comercial one asks"Whats in Yourrrrr wallet?".
Over the year I have used a method to help me achive my goals. I collect or create images of what I would like to achieve. I 'm a very visual learner. I guess in a sense if I can see it, I can believe it. I place those images and phrases in my wallet or where I can see them daily. In doing it is a reminder, and serves as a reinforement of my goals. It has been very helpful for me. For example I did dozens of renderings of my dojo before I built it. The finished dojo looks almost exactly like my first drawings. The image you see is of a book that I 'm working on. As for now exists on my wall and in my wallet. Do you use any similar methods to motivate yourself?

Whats in your wallet?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 11:22 AM

first, put me in for 2 orders of your book....THEN you can see into my wallet!

actually, I have school pictures of my two boys...corney or perhaps numbingly common, but thats all the motivation needed. I choose not to post their mugs, but take my word for it...they are better looking than their dad.
Posted by: Tolyn1007

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 11:24 AM

I have a little address book that someone gave me some where along the way. I started writing sayings that I had heard in it so I now have a portable quips and quotes log. I'm more of a visual learner too so that if I hear something, write it down right away and see it on paper, I'll recall it longer.
Posted by: MikeC

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 11:32 AM

Luv the idea of the book. Would like to see pictures of your new space.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 11:41 AM

I don't keep them in my wallet, but I do keep a loose collection of ideas and techniques that I have seen or thought of in a file at my house.

Very useful to be able to refer back to something written down or drawn, so you can remember it properly.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 11:45 AM

Darn...Ed beat me to it. Put me down for one order...do I pay extra to get an autograph?

I'm very 'scattered', and have lost my wallet so many times that I no longer put anything of real value in it. For example, working two jobs I almost never see my kids. This became apparent one morning when I dropped off my daughter for school. After the usual/daily hectic rush to get up and out the door, racing to school, she jumped out of the car, and said 'See you tomorrow.'

My heart is my wallet, and I try to fill it with as many hugs and kisses as I steal.
Posted by: phoenixsflame

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 11:53 AM

Quote:

Darn...Ed beat me to it. Put me down for one order...do I pay extra to get an autograph?

I'm very 'scattered', and have lost my wallet so many times that I no longer put anything of real value in it. For example, working two jobs I almost never see my kids. This became apparent one morning when I dropped off my daughter for school. After the usual/daily hectic rush to get up and out the door, racing to school, she jumped out of the car, and said 'See you tomorrow.'

My heart is my wallet, and I try to fill it with as many hugs and kisses as I steal.

Yeah... I'm the same as Harlan, save I have a man purse.

I love my man purse. To those who aren't comfortable calling it a man purse, you can call it a messanger bag/satchel... Whatever floats your boat.

But its my man purse.

When I don't have my man purse, I have my backpack. I've lived with those two items for the past 15 years (Well, the backpack is new, only two years old, but its spirit is of my original one.)

Those are my wallets, and usually its my writing things. Notebooks, pencils, and ear plugs, medication... Um... A baby toy for my son if it hits an emergancy boredom streak.

And my backpack has my laptop. Woot. And books. I almost always carry my Zen mind beginners mind with me. I've gone through six books so far, I've given them to random strangers, dear friends and those who simply wished to know.
Posted by: Christie

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 12:04 PM

I'm not too sure about what is IN my wallet right now but I can sure tell you what ISN'T ... money!!
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 12:05 PM

I keep notes occasionally and I have a small sketch pad that I keep at work to throw a few things into, but don't really use these as collection points for future endeavors.

In my wallet is one picture of my wife and a pile of ATM transaction receipts....if I don't know where I am going, at least I know how much it cost me to get there......
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 12:10 PM

I write every thought i don't want to lose on pieces of scrap paper and try to put them in places where I won't forget to look at them. Sometimes my bedroom looks alot like the main character's from "Memento" (guy pearce).
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 12:26 PM

I carry a little notepad with me to write things down. Usually it is only for shopping lists, things to do, work projects. I have a pretty bad memory so if I don't write things down they don't get done a lot. I need to write things down more often.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 12:46 PM

no pictures (no-one to put in there really) just my debit card, £1.85, virgin addict money off card, national insurance number card and my mobile phones top-up card. . . oh and a condom i've not yet got round to using lol.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 12:54 PM

Quote:

virgin addict

I'm assuming that is something different from what I am assuming.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 01:47 PM

virgin cigarettes perhaps? or I guess in England they would be called 'Virgin faags' ?

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 01:49 PM

Virgin records discount card?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 01:52 PM

When I was a young teenager (13-14) back in the early 80's I wanted a BMX bike. I had this picture of it and I kept it under my pillow to remind me of each night so that I would save my money and not blow it on something stupid ... I got that bike.

As an adult when I need to do something unless I write it down it won't. I keep a list on the fridge or I have cork board by my vehicle keys that I will post things to remember to do.

For weight lifting I write down everything I do in a binder that I have kept from day one almost 8 years ago. I include what I did, how I felt, if I was ill, things I might have ate, and anything else I might need to review. I also write down ever martial art class I go to and if something was important that I should know I will also record this.

I dream a lot ... unbelieveable for somebody that only gets 3 to 5 hours a night ... and never in a row. But dream I do and I have even recorded somethings from dreams. In fact I had an incredible dream about 1.5 years ago that would make an excellent movie. As soon as I woke up I recorded the plot and maybe one day I will actually try to see if I can take this further.

What's in my wallet ... too much and not enough money. Pictures of my daughter, credit card, debit card, license, etc. and usually several debit receipts that I record at the end of the week so I can track everything in a spreadsheet so that I know what I spent my money on. People think I'm anal ... I just think I'm organized. I can stretch a dollar farther then most ... and this is why.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 01:55 PM

oh. yeah you're probably right.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 01:58 PM

kinda. when you spend £10 there they stamp it. once you've got 10 stamps you get a £10 discount. i only have one stamp though. . . i prefer hmv.

and to joel i refer the the woody allan quote "i only sleep with virgins; i don't like being criticised" suppose he doesn't like finishing either. ok this threads been degraded far enough methinks. back on topic sil vous plait.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 02:18 PM

I dont even keep my money in my wallet! I keep a few quid in loose change, and pictures of my wife and dog in it, and that is all. My cards/cash I keep elswhere on my person- cant be too careful re mugging.
I used to write stuff down all the time- training routines, goals, that sort of stuff, but I prefer to keep all this in my head these days, If i really want to do something, I need no further motivation or focus, I just do it.
I still have books in which I jot down any short stories or poetry that pops up from time to time, I was a very keen, very prolific, and quite terrible writer when younger, and am still prone to annoying bouts of imagination
i also have a sketch book in which i doodle ideas for more tattoos, just in case I ever get some spare cash
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 03:34 PM

I definately want a few signed copies of that book! I don't care how much it costs! you can have my wallet!!

Whats in it? the usual crap that men collect and a condom from 1987(I'm still hoping)!

Page
Posted by: schanne

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 03:55 PM

"Boobishi" book for me too, definetly a winner.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 05:48 PM

LOL @ oldman.
Nice looking book! Put me down for a signed copy too please!

Whats in my wallet - not a lot!
buggerall money
a few credit cards,
a lump of citrine
a jade monkey carrying a peach

What's in my handbag - all sorts of cr@p!
digital camera + pda
misc USB cords, flash drive
bills, receipts, misc scraps of paper with stuff written on them
chequebook
some energy bars & chocolate
steel pens [useful kubotans]
keys
junk....

The other day I forgot to unload the back of my car after the previous nights training and had to carry my armour and sword into the office and hide them under my desk for the day as I didnt want to leave them in the back of the car... I'd taken them down to the dojo to show the kids as a reward for their hard work. The damn bag weighed about 40kg!
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 06:10 PM

Sneaky way to do "market testing" oldman....

All I got is plastic...lots of plastic.... even our money is plastic (if I had any - which I don't)....

You take Visa, Amex or ETFPOS?

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 06:14 PM

I promise, I thought of Bruce the whole time.

I'm so glad to be here

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 06:30 PM

Eyrie,

An Australian dollar would put a rainbow to shame..... That is some colorful money.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 07:38 PM

Quote:

Eyrie,

An Australian dollar would put a rainbow to shame..... That is some colorful money.

Don't forget this colorful Canadian money. And where else in the world can you get a $1 coin called a Looney and a $2 coin called a Tooney? I believe that we are going to make a $3 coin called the Looney Tunes. One side will feature none other then Bugs Bunny and on the back side will be Elmer Fudd. Elmer will be chasing that wascally wabbit forever and will never catch him eventhough he is just around the corner.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/01/05 08:00 PM

Our $1 & $2 dollars are actually coins... Anything under 5 cents is no longer accepted. Yet, the supermarkets still price items at 96 cents or $1.79. Interesting....

$5 and up (highest denomination is $100) are all made of plastic - seriously. Our "hi-tech" notes have special security features that apparently make it impossible to copy - not that people haven't tried, but it's much easier to spot the dud these days.

And yes, they do come in pink ($5), blue ($10), orange ($20), yellow ($50) and green ($100)...
Posted by: Karateka13

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 01:16 AM

Gotta love those looneys and tooneys. I still have trouble spending looneys because in my old apartment we had to save them because we used the apartment's washing machines which only accepted looneys and quarters. Since we moved to the new apartment we have our own washing machine and dryer (needless to say, no money required) but I still instinctively save looneys and quarters. I still have my special edition Terry Fox looney which I unexpectedly found in the change a cab driver gave me. I'll never spend that one. Did you manage to get one Dereck?

As for what's in my wallet (Try not to fall asleep reading on the way down):

My student ID card
My student debit card (it's for using the photocopy machine and printer at university)
My debit bank card
My Canadian citizenship card
My Jewish General Hospital card
My SIN card
My Medicare card
My now expired monthly bus-and-metro pass
A bunch of ATM and some fast-food restaruant reciepts
$21.07 excluding my Terry Fox looney and an American penny.

That's about it. Such exciting stuff!

PS: Oldman, put me down for a book too!

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 01:24 AM

Quote:

I still have my special edition Terry Fox looney which I unexpectedly found in the change a cab driver gave me. I'll never spend that one. Did you manage to get one Dereck?

Personally no I don't but I believe my wife's father has set one aside for my daughter in a coin collection. This includes the first Looney and first Tooney's minted. Plus he has uncut pages of the one dollar and two dollar bills after they were taken out of circulation. Plus a multitude of other coins such as the quarters in a set when they released them with all of the provinces and other such things.

Oldman, I would also be interested in a book. Heck, you may just sell out your first copy run just with the FA members. I would of course expect it to be personally signed ... "To Dereck, my favorite FA friend."

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 01:30 AM

Quote:

Our $1 & $2 dollars are actually coins... Anything under 5 cents is no longer accepted. Yet, the supermarkets still price items at 96 cents or $1.79. Interesting....

$5 and up (highest denomination is $100) are all made of plastic - seriously. Our "hi-tech" notes have special security features that apparently make it impossible to copy - not that people haven't tried, but it's much easier to spot the dud these days.

And yes, they do come in pink ($5), blue ($10), orange ($20), yellow ($50) and green ($100)...

Colorful Canadian money has many hidden security features and then the oh so obvious hologram security features.

Sorry a little off topic. So how about those Martial Artists last week? Kick ass didn't they.

Dereck sneaks away while everybody is stunned trying to think what the heck he is talking about. It's martial art related now ... isn't?
Posted by: Karateka13

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 01:34 AM

Quote:

Personally no I don't but I believe my wife's father has set one aside for my daughter in a coin collection. This includes the first Looney and first Tooney's minted. Plus he has uncut pages of the one dollar and two dollar bills after they were taken out of circulation. Plus a multitude of other coins such as the quarters in a set when they released them with all of the provinces and other such things.

That's so cool! I used to collect foriegn coins myself when I was much younger. My dad would give them to me from his business trips. I'd love to start collecting again...it's like having tangible history in a box.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 01:39 AM

A laminated credit-card size card giving phone numbers to call my family members in an emergency and description of my present medical conditon, allergies and medication taken, together with some coins of course in case the good samaritan is short of change.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 03:02 AM

I'm placing my order now too!

I'm shocked that no one admitted to having a CONDOM in their wallet. I've had one in there for 20 years now. I'm hoping to get around to use it someday (S W M looking for someone who enjoys long walks on the beach...).
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 03:11 AM

I'll take one too!!!!!

hedkikr,

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15808015/an/0/page/0#15808015

Might I suggest you either throw it away or get a new wallet!!!

I don't carry one in my wallet,I don't think I'll ever have the spontaneous screw moment.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 03:14 AM

(thought you were going to say your wallet would be too small to accomodate yours)

OK....sorry for derailing - AGAIN.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 03:20 AM

Quote:

I'm shocked that no one admitted to having a CONDOM in their wallet. I've had one in there for 20 years now

20 year old condom?

You've gotta award it a 5th or 6th dan, depending on its size of course

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 08:01 AM

Gee, I wonder how long latex lasts?

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 08:36 AM

About a minute and a half.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 08:56 AM

Optimist!

Page

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 09:06 AM

Quote:

Optimist!

Don't be too hard on oldman; he is after all a lay minister

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 09:18 AM

"lay minister"?
please don't put those two words together ever again.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 09:29 AM

I am going to buy a wallet (I don't have one...again). In it will be:

1 signed copy of Boobishi (with 'the laying on of hands' highlighted)

1 old, unused condom

1 Virgin card

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 09:37 AM

Quote:

I am going to buy a wallet (I don't have one...again). In it will be:

1 signed copy of Boobishi (with 'the laying on of hands' highlighted)

1 old, unused condom

1 Virgin card

Let me get this straight:-

An old, unused virgin carrying a signed Boobishi condom card?

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 09:43 AM

Must be a problem in the translation.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 09:44 AM

I'm sure thats it.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 10:14 AM

In the lower left corner illustration...(sorry, I have to use Japanese sometimes)

escape technique: polka-dot man leans forward and steps behind with his right foot. and then simultaneously steps down into horse stance while pushing with right arm, throwing the old man onto his back or neck.
kata equivalent: any 90 degree step into horse stance with lower or mid 'block'.

alternate app: found in Goju Gekisai kata, (Nagashi Uke sweep)
rear leg performs ashi barai and the momentum generated pulls the body round assisted by the Nagashi Uke, the old man is either taken down or strike/takedown...depending on how evil the polka dot man is.

on the other two illustrations, the polka-dot guy is pretty much screwed and on his own...can't help him there.

oldman: 2
polka-dot man: 1

oldman wins!

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 10:56 AM

I don't think that polka dot man has any options in the lower left picture. His knees are bent and he leaning back, he is only being held up by oldman. If he tries doing anything oldman merely has to step back or to the side and polka dot man falls on his back.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 01:14 PM

it's a cartoon, anything could happen.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 01:31 PM

Man I like the realism in your thought process, I could feel the intent and passion in your work. Thats a nice book far more 1st glance revealing then that old Bubushi scroll, better drawing too. I want 1 maybe 2.

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 12/02/05 03:39 PM

Quote:

Eyrie,

doesn't it melt in the sun though? at least it won't get all soggy, i hate it when that happens.

oh and hedkikr check page 1 or 2
Posted by: MikoReklaw

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 02/19/06 09:59 PM

In my wallet:

-Every Fortune Cookie fortune I've ever gotten.
-My Obi-wan Wal-Mart Gift Card
-My DL
-An old order from Sakura MA [sakura-0.com] that I really should throw away. I've already worn out the gi in this order.
-Condom
-$14, all in ones.
-Deadly Weapon Registration Card
-My license to kill
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 02/20/06 12:12 AM

Nothing
Someone stole my wallet a couple days ago. For some reason I had the bright idea of saving up $400 and buying a Louis Vuitton wallet on Fifth Avenue.
That was only two months ago.
Think that's unlucky? I was going anniversary shopping, so I had $150 on me.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 02/20/06 06:36 AM

Bank cards
€10
Student card
Library card
Membership card of ninjutsu club
Membership card of kung fu club
Shuriken ( Just kidding! Or am I...?)
Posted by: Cord

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 02/20/06 06:58 AM

Photo of my wife
Photo of my dog
Loose change
Video store membership card
Vehicle breakdown cover card

'proper' money and payment cards I keep seperate so they stand less chance of getting taken in the event of mugging/pickpocketing.
Posted by: Landus

Re: Whats in Your Wallet? - 02/20/06 09:16 AM

I don't have a wallet.
But if I did!

Then I would have.....

Money.

Ok, just read Cord's.....

A photo of my mummy.
A photo of my daddy.
A photo of my brothery.
A photo of my cat
My gym membership card
My financial cards
And maybe a picture of some fit girl - whom I will pretend is my girl friend
My tank driving licence
My live weapon permit
And some other useful things like heat seeking rocket launchers and smoke grenades.