Get A New Wife

Posted by: harlan

Get A New Wife - 10/31/05 07:39 PM

Was reading Lowry's article and wondered: how supportive is your significant other?

http://koryu.com/library/dlowry7.html
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 12:18 PM

No wives, but here is the problem with girlfriends:

They always start out supportive and understanding. Then in months 5-7 they really figure out that this is not a phase.

Thats when the complaining starts. And the passive aggressiveness. Then they leave.

This is why I only have one night stands with strippers It very rarely interupts training!

For the record, I would entertain a long term relationship with a martial artist or a cheerleader! I am wondering if Mrs. MattJ has any college friends that she could hook me up with !

Page
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 12:22 PM

Quote by BuDoc -

Quote:

For the record, I would entertain a long term relationship with a martial artist or a cheerleader!

*makes goo-goo eyes at Page*

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 12:23 PM

Yes...I seem to recall that you are looking for a 10th Dan...who would 'bring you to the next level'?

Seriously, my 'on the ground' experience with others is that support is generally very low. The 'high marks' in this poll simply reflect the population here...which is why this forum is such a happy place to be!
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 12:46 PM

you need to keep in mind the poll is a snapshot statistic. just as budoc mentioned, people that said they have a 'working understanding' might be voting differently in 6 months....but we'll never see that vote because it's the MA forum time that gets comprimized first.

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 12:54 PM

I agree...a poll is not necessarily 'truth' and people change.

In general, I would say that 'success' in any life long pursuit depends on periods of stability. Economic, social, mental, etc.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 01:24 PM

Quote:

This is why I only have one night stands with strippers It very rarely interupts training!

Unless you get the gift that keeps on giving...
Posted by: oldman

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 01:41 PM

To be excellent at any endevor comes at a cost. It can be paid by ourselves but also by the people we are in relationship with. Some people are willing to pay the price. As for myself I am committed to loving well. That leaves me plenty of time to train an aspire to reach an impressive level, slightly above mediocrity in the arts.

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 01:45 PM

Has anyone tried to persuade their significant other to take up the arts? When I was younger I would try but learned that I can't force it upon someone that doesn't want to learn it for themselves. Even thought it would be great to train together.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 01:46 PM

Nicely put Oldman.

Last night I actually had my wife select which one. She was offended when I asked her if it was the 1st one or the 2nd one. She said the 1st for sure and I should have known that. Man, wouldn't these women make up their mind. On one hand she says I can think for myself and on the other hand she says I can't. Women!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 01:51 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried to persuade their significant other to take up the arts? When I was younger I would try but learned that I can't force it upon someone that doesn't want to learn it for themselves. Even thought it would be great to train together.

I got my daughter into it for a while from 10 to 12 but then she quit because she got her own life and friends, school and boys were more important. As for my wife, she hates feet .. no that is not correct ... loathes them. Doesn't like touching them and certainly doesn't want to hold them while stretching or being kicked with them. Her loss.

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 01:56 PM

Man, I go through the same thing. one minute my wife says she wants a man that takes charge and makes decisions and the next she is dictating. Unfortunately, I am too easy going and pretty much go with the flow. Basically, whatever she wants to do, I am game...

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 01:57 PM

I had all 4 of my kids into it. The girls eventually lost interests but the boy and I still do it. My wife..Well, he don't mind feet, but if you barely touch hers she laughs histerically...
Posted by: Cord

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 02:27 PM

Oh man, every poll I try and enter i get a message saying a vote has already been registered from my IP address

Still, i have to say that i have the most fantastic and supportive wife in the world! Her physical capabilities are impaired through long term back problems, so she cant take part in MA with me, but would if she could, and actively encourages me to keep at it. When I suffered a couple of setbacks regarding my old MA school, she was the one who got on google and found alternatives in our area. She often says that 'I am kicking ass for two' . She also loves MA and action movies, can destroy me at Tekken, laughs at my jokes, is a great cook,and all this is wrapped up in a really hot 6ft goth babe. oh boy I am in love!!
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 03:08 PM

she's reading this, isn't she.

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 03:11 PM

wow, you got a keeper cord....That is awesome...I get a little encouragement, but not as much you. Keep onto her..
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 03:13 PM

does she have a sister? or better yet a clone?
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 03:26 PM

In between marriages I (briefly) dated a guy who would do absolutely anything to stop me training. Sad attempts included hiding my gi, phoning me with bogus emergencies as I was leaving the house and once, letting down my car tyres.
Sharon
Posted by: Cord

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 03:28 PM

Quote:

she's reading this, isn't she.

nope, and she would never let me big her up like that, but I dont care.

No sisters or clones knocking around either-sorry she's a one off, and for some crazy reason or another married me! There is not a day goes by I dont thank the stars for her poor judgement

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/01/05 03:34 PM

That is crazy...He went through all that trouble...I am sorry, as much as I love my wife, if she went to that trouble to stop me from training, then she can be without me...Luckily, most of my training is in the garage..:)

I bet ya started keeping a second gi at the triaining hall..
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/02/05 09:02 AM

Quote:

In between marriages I (briefly) dated a guy who would do absolutely anything to stop me training. Sad attempts included hiding my gi, phoning me with bogus emergencies as I was leaving the house and once, letting down my car tyres.
Sharon

Weird. What was his beef with your training?

When you dumped him, did you headbutt him in the face?
Posted by: Tolyn1007

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/02/05 10:02 AM

My fiancee' is pretty supportive. I think she'd go to training with me if her work schedule wasn't so radically different from mine. However, she did sign off on me building a training room once we buy a house and will even let me participate in an MMA match as long as I do so with sufficient time allowed for me to heal before the wedding. LOL.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/02/05 12:30 PM

[quote Weird. What was his beef with your training?

When you dumped him, did you headbutt him in the face?

His beef was that almost everyone esle where I trained was male. Did I headbutt him - almost
Posted by: rideonlythelabel

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/02/05 12:37 PM

Quote:

Did I headbutt him - almost

Almost is not good enough.

Re: Get A New Wife - 11/02/05 01:21 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh!!! Insecurity issues.....lol

I went through that with my ex-wife..Notice, the key word there, EX...lol
Posted by: corky

Re: Get A New Wife - 09/07/11 02:13 AM

My wife is very supportive, she even looked out for schools for me to train at while i am in Hong Kong.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Get A New Wife - 09/08/11 02:26 PM

My wife's like that, too. Maybe they're just trying to get us out of the house?
Posted by: Kenny Johnson

Re: Get A New Wife - 09/10/11 12:03 AM

My wife is 100% supportive. smile
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Get A New Wife - 09/10/11 09:15 AM

Dang! That was quick. I thought you were just engaged. Way to go!
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Get A New Wife - 09/23/11 01:06 AM

Mine thinks it's great that I train, takes pride in the fact that I'm a fighter, and even holds mitts for me from time to time. But while training for a fight she get's a little annoyed at times just because I spend an enormous amount of time in the gym or training at home. For the most part though she leaves me alone or takes interest. But she also knows I'd give her the cold shoulder big time if she tried to come between me and something I'm so passionate about because what kind of loving partner does that as long as it's not an obsession (and it's not, I make plenty of time for both even when in camp for a fight)? I'm lucky. Sometimes she thinks some of the drills we do are silly because she doesn't understand the purpose but that's ok. and for the record she's my wife who I've been in a relationship with for 4 years.
Posted by: hope

Re: Get A New Wife - 09/23/11 01:28 AM

My husband of many years is supportive, picks me up from the dojo some nights and tolerates kata in the living room, but doesn't want to practice with me. He outweighs me by close to 100 pounds so maybe he figures one of us will get hurt...