NEW Self Defense Videos

Posted by: Eric4444

NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/20/05 08:17 PM

Alright, I tried to take some advice from different people and I made a couple new videos. In the videos I explained how all the techniques were done, I think someone asked for me to do that. Now, I tried to fix some mistakes, but I'm sure there are still plenty of errors, hopefully with more practice I can improve, like I said, I've only been at it for 4 years, and I'm no where near a black belt. I stuttered alot in explanations, honestly this was my first time ever having to explain how to do a technique, so I'm sorry if its a bad explanation, not only was I unsure what to say, but a little nervous that hundreds of people can see these videos online. Anyways, here we go....

Shirt Grab

Choke

Head Lock

Wrist Lock
Posted by: kenposan

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/20/05 08:44 PM

Quote:

like I said, I've only been at it for 4 years, and I'm no where near a black belt.

Eric,

I wish more young (and older) people had this attitude. It is the sign of maturity.

Oh, and I liked the videos too, but I have to ask; does your brother get paid for this abuse?
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/20/05 08:49 PM

You sure do like elbows and knees!

All of em looked good, explanations were good too, I didn't see a problem with what you said.

I know the wrist lock one and the head lock one, LOVE the headlock manuver with the nose, it's my favorite move to do to people!

I do some variations though: (not that what you are doing is wrong, just different)
I hold the wrist lock and take him to the ground instead of bashing the crap out of em immediately, sifu described that motion like pushing a broom, that way you don't loose the correct bend in the wrist or arm, once he's on the ground I feel a bit safer, cause I don't have to worry about being kicked or anything else if he's face down in a wrist lock.
Plus I know a few moves from that position that are just TORTURE, I can't stand having em put on me, but it's great when the opponent screams for mercy!

And on the head lock nose escape, I hit to the ribs, personally I think it's a softer and much more painful target, plus it's less distance to the target than the sternum, but that's just a personal fav.

Keep up the good work and keep em coming!
Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 02:01 AM

good videos, don't take what I said the wrong way about the sound effects. What I meant was that (and this is only how I was taught, by all means do what you will) to not make the little "dishh" type sounds whenever you do something. I was just taught no noise unless you are making a kiai. Which it seems like you were doing anyway.

I like the headlock pushing the nose, I have not heard of that.
The wrist grab, I think I would prefer to go outside circle instead of inside. I think you did inside. I like outside because it is a nice arm bar setup.

The choke hold was cool, but one Q. If someone plans on putting both hands on your neck, why not pummel them with your four free limbs. Unless your on the ground which is a different story.

Good vids, though. It looks really cramped in there, I thought you were going to move outside?
Posted by: Gavin

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 02:32 AM

Eric, good effort mate. Your explanations were clear and concise (didn't even notice the stuttering really!). I speak from experience that you gonna get a lot of people nit picking at everything, but don't take it to heart and be proud of yourself for having the gutts to put your stuff on show!

Your stuff was pretty much technically sound too....there's a few things you could do to enhance what you were doing, but its impossible to cater for everyones taste and methodologies. If your interested in these, PM and I'll go through a few with you, rather that look like I'm having a go!

Good work though made, and don't take too much of what the neysayers say to heart. Just take and use it all as constructive feedback!

Gav
Posted by: JohnL

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 10:07 AM

I think you just like beating on your little brother.

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 10:16 AM

Quote:

I like the headlock pushing the nose, I have not heard of that.

Oh, its a WONDERFUL move, get someone to do it to you, or just push up on the bridge under your nose.
Only downfall is if your opponent has a cold....
Posted by: oldman

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 10:18 AM

I'm not able to play them. its probably just as well. My brother is 5 years older than me . It might give me "pile driver" flashbacks.
Posted by: schanne

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 10:58 AM

Very good, you and your brother have great attitudes, keep it up and some day I'll see you guys in the movies!

Curious, do you have a Sensei that you train under or are you self tought?

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 01:30 PM

I have someone that I train under, he's a 4th Dan in Tkd/Hapkido. Good person to learn how to fight from. However I guess you could say when it comes to the "art" part, and the philoshopy and spiritual side, then I am self taught lol. If you would like I can email them to you oldman, I'd greatly value your opinion as well.
Posted by: GungFuTy

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 02:12 PM

Great vids! And I must say, you are very brave to post them to any community forum. I thought the explanations were great. Your technique is also good for someone so new to an art.

Good job. Keep it up.

I’m impressed. (For whatever that is worth)
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 08:48 PM

As Kenwa Mabuni said, "Never forget the spirit of first beginnings."

I commend your enthusiasm...keep training.
Posted by: Karateka13

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/21/05 11:08 PM

Great work Eric! Commendable. Your explanations were very clear actually, where's the stuttering? Keep it up! (The, er, great work that is. Not the stuttering.)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/22/05 09:02 AM

Nice job, Eric. Good Effort. I have seen people who are older and with more experience put less effort into their stuff.

Keep it up!
Posted by: jaret345

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/22/05 04:00 PM

awsome vids man 1 got a qiestion, is there anyway of getting out of a guillotine when they got there legs back so you can't grab them? i know you can get into one of these if you ever go for their legs, or are you pretty much screwed? i haven't figured out a way to get out of it if ya could make a vid bout that i would appreciate it alot, btw what martial art are you in?

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/22/05 04:27 PM

If the nose thing doesn't work and they're just holding you there in a headlock, and you can't get to their legs, I just go for elbows and back-kicks to anywhere available. Groin, ribs, face, knees, etc.
Works for me at least...

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/22/05 08:13 PM

just wait for the videos to load, sometimes it takes a while, with me it kept buffereing and it would go to 100% and then start over but it eventually worked just wait for it

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/22/05 08:14 PM

the shirt grab looks like it works good but what if the person is quite strong and has an iron grip, you might have trouble twisting his wrist
Posted by: kenposan

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/22/05 09:54 PM

I agree with the concerns. I have never really been able to pull this off with a resisting opponent but that doesn't mean others can't.

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/22/05 09:58 PM

Well, after reading some of the other suggestions, I think the best bet is to try a palm strike to the face, then quickly reach over and grab hand, and as you do that strike him in the ribs with your other hand and quickly twist it off.
Posted by: AshiharaStudent

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/23/05 08:24 AM

Quote:

the shirt grab looks like it works good but what if the person is quite strong and has an iron grip, you might have trouble twisting his wrist

I've used this one as well, and you have to be quick. If you do it correctly then you are coming in at an angle where it is difficult to resist, but if the person does not want to let go of your shirt then you simply twist your shirt with it.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/23/05 09:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I've used this one as well, and you have to be quick. If you do it correctly then you are coming in at an angle where it is difficult to resist, but if the person does not want to let go of your shirt then you simply twist your shirt with it.

Kick him in the groin or inner thigh once you parry the attacking hand. This will take your opponents mind off his hand and allow you twist the wrist with a decrease in his resistance.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/23/05 01:21 PM

Good job Eric!

The only thing I would recommend would be before you try a locking technique is to strike first.You at least need a distraction,you don't want to try that with someone who is alot stronger than you. Try this with your little brother,you grab him,don't let go and have him perform the technique without a strike then with. Could be a shin kick,arm strike,anything.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/23/05 01:46 PM

I was actually surprised ... not bad at all Eric.

Quote:

I have someone that I train under, he's a 4th Dan in Tkd/Hapkido. Good person to learn how to fight from.

Sounds like my Instructor, does he also implement other martial arts into your training?

Side Note: Fill in your bio when you get a chance.
Posted by: tkddad

Re: NEW Self Defense Videos - 09/23/05 08:26 PM

Impressive for someone so young, we have a few young guys in our school that quite often act like goofs.

In my school we include pressure point applications with our self defense techniques, they can be effective against people with iron grips. It gives them something else to think about while you are applying the self defense technique.

Try applying pressure to the spot between the index and middle finger, hurts like hell if you do it right. Or the web between the thumb and index finger. There are lots spots.