pointless techniques

Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

pointless techniques - 09/20/05 05:45 AM

now, in katas, self defence seminars and so on you often get a lot of 'defence against the wrist grab' type of stuff.
i dont want it to seem like im trolling but who in reality would rather just hit him with the other hand? and even if they did try and apply various wrist/arm locks, the other guy isnt going to be standing around holding your wrist waiting for somthing to happen , hes gonna be hitting your face! like when you go up against a trapping hands practicioner for example, rendering you wrist twisting techniques useless.

and in my expreience ive never had anybody who wanted to fight me come and grab my wrist first off, so are these techniques pointless? or are they just filling the gap of 'just in case', cause as far as i know there not used much in competition either.

even as i write this some so called martial artists are no more than a few yards away from me in the library proving my point cause they cant grab eachothers wrists to begin with.

what do ya think

dcm
Posted by: MAGr

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 06:11 AM

No technique is useless. Maybe far fetched but then again so are some of the things that happen to us in everyday life.

I ll give you a scenario (one of a thousand that I can think of) where are wrist escape is usefull. You get attcked from behind and two dudes hold your wrists while a third comes from the front to hit you.

Someone is holding your wrist and goes to punch you... you block with your free arm, but then you need to punch back, so you have to free your previously grabbed wrist.

There are thousands of situations, and wrist grabs are taught not only for those scenarios where they will be usefull but also to teach you some principles about body meachanics and which way limbs can and cant turn.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 06:14 AM

You're speaking only from your viewpoint. True, if a man was to accost another on the street, it's likely that punches would be thrown before any grappling took place. However, what if the "victim" was a woman or a child? We all have to practice those, if only to teach them later.
Posted by: naraebon

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 06:26 AM

Hi

once more Ian Abernethy:

he`s saying a situation like this might arise after you being (verbaly) offended, you realize you`ll have to fight, you take the first (pre emptive) move and try to grab your opponents groin. Instinctively this is an area which we protect well, so your opponent will grab your wrist while you try to grab his groin ...

... and there you go.

I never experienced a situation like this, but it sounds logical to me.

http://www.ianabernethy.com/articles/article_3.asp

cheers,
Nara Ebon
Posted by: TwistingKick

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 06:32 AM

I always wondered the same thing when i was practicing aikido, i was told that this is the basic attack to defend yourself against and once u could defend yourself against a grab on the wrist, you could defend yourself from a punch to the stomach. (Not sure if this is true though) =)
Posted by: JKogas

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 07:00 AM

Wrestlers will often come in and grab your wrists and they seek to come in further and take control of your whole body.

Incidentally, wrestling (yes, the "sport") teaches the best counters to wrist grabs that I have ever seen.

But there's nothing wrong with hitting either other than it may not result in the release of your wrist.

-John
Posted by: Chanters

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 09:04 AM

I agree with MAGr when he says no technique is useless. I think particularly for women, it is good to practice defending against a wrist grab and this would be a possible method a potential rapist may use. Also what if you were slow and the attacker caught your punch?

Quote:

and even if they did try and apply various wrist/arm locks, the other guy isnt going to be standing around holding your wrist waiting for somthing to happen, hes gonna be hitting your face!

When applying a wrist/arm lock you need to apply it fast and be in a position where it is difficult for them to effectively kick or strike you, i.e not stood in front of them. If they try and strike you, apply the wrist/arm lock more and if need be go for the break. Some wrist/arm locks are used to get the attacker to the ground, therefore you don't give them any opportunity to try and strike. Granted I think some wrist/arm locks are tricky to learn but once you've grasped them they are particularly effective and painful if you're on the receiving end!. There's a guy in our class who's double jointed and has very flexible limbs, so whenever we practice the locks, I try and practice with him. At least if I can apply a lock on him, I should have an easier job applying it on other people.

What if you're in quite a confined area like a lift and striking is out of the question? You can in some instances get your attacker to grab your wrist, once he's fallen for the bait apply the lock. This does not require much space to move around.
Posted by: harlan

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 09:35 AM

Have you seen the video that taped the abduction of a little Florida girl, who was murdered, about two years ago? All he did was grab her wrist.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 09:56 AM

It seems that by asking a question like that you expose your lack of street and class room knowledge. Every body knows that the wrist grabs can be the start of an abduction tactic or the next move away from a, punch, bear hug, arm bar or throw.

In the (or my) class room its taught as just a basic wrist grab then a wrist grab pull into front bear hug or takedown, wrist grab/punch, wrist grab/kick, wrist grab into a clinch/rear bar,throw..... With any grab of the collar, wrist, arm, waist, or head you should work counters. Striking if you both are swing only even the event, evade, control(counter wrist lock or punch), disable and evade is our motto. Striking if you turn a guy by grabing him where you can hit him and he can't hit you (is control) is an advantage.

We also practice grabbing the wrist and behind the elbow in sparring or fighting, trapping and pulling the wrist into a kick or punch, sweep, lock or throw is a powerful move (of course wrist and elbow gives you less risk to a counter) but sometimes wrist is all you can grab.

I've done that move on the street, pulling him into the blows, you got to be good to withstand or counter that. Not many are that good. Pointless technique that builds upon victory or survival, its called the Martial Arts.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 10:04 AM

I'm surprised that nobody (that I noticed) mentioned the equal force factor. Yes, if somebody grabs you you may want to punch them, but in most places you will be the one facing the judges gavel if you do. A punch does not equal a grab, a grab escape does.

"Rather judged by 12 than carried by 6" Yeah, we've all heard it, but when it's only at the level of a guy grabbing your wrist? It is likely that the altercation will escalate, but if you can do a grab escape it will leave both of your hands free and may make the other take a second thought about what they are about to do.

Along with all the other good points put out by others.
Posted by: Rappa1

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 10:38 AM

I should mention right away that I've only been studying MA (JJ) for about three months. Your post grabbed me right away because I have been doing some thing that although simple, I don't think has been mentioned yet. You said that in most conflicts which are mostly punching, wrist grabs/locks etc. would not be practical/useful. We routinely practice open hand (palm heal) punch blocks ending in a wrist grab to move into an arm bar or wrist lock depending if the arm is straight or bent at that moment. I agree in a real fight you're not just going to grab someone's wrist but maybe it would be a realistic option after a block to take them down.
Posted by: MAngelo

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 04:28 PM

Hello all, first post, longtime lurker.

If my wrist is grabbed and I decide to hit my attacker, I either will incapacitate him or make him madder. If I grab his wrist and lock it, I can control him. It's about control, and like the above poster said, use of similar force.
As a father, I want my son to learn locks and grabs and controls, ala chin na. It would do him no good to escape a bully situation only to be in another kind of trouble for defending himself. You seem more reasonable trying to explain a sprained joint on an attacker than a bashed face.
Right tool for the job.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 04:32 PM

in one of the few fights i've been in, the attacker went straight for my wrists as i had my arms out saying "man, we don't need to go there". in street/bar fights, attackers are most often unpredictable and will go for whatever they can get, not whatever is strategically best. so wrist releases become as important as groundfighting, punch/kick combos, whatever as the last thing you want is one less of your "weapons" to defend yourself with. also, if someone trained in hapkido grabbed my wrist, i'd want to be releasing that thing right quick before the break or takedown!
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 04:42 PM

Some really awsome post here, alot of people need their eyes opened about considering things they might not percieve effective at first glance. Especially considering these systems and styles were developed by men whos lives revovle around self defense.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 05:22 PM

Quote:

now, in katas, self defence seminars and so on you often get a lot of 'defence against the wrist grab' type of stuff.
i dont want it to seem like im trolling but who in reality would rather just hit him with the other hand? and even if they did try and apply various wrist/arm locks, the other guy isnt going to be standing around holding your wrist waiting for somthing to happen , hes gonna be hitting your face! like when you go up against a trapping hands practicioner for example, rendering you wrist twisting techniques useless.

Quote:

If you were to forget or abandon the basics,I can assure you that your chances of getting an a$$ beating will not be prevented.

You said,the person who's holding your wrist will not be standing waiting for something to around for something to happen.

That's true.
However,If it's there's 3 or 4 moves in one technique,Its the instructors job to teach one move at time in order for the students to become more fluid,As well as making the 3 or 4 moves into one technique.

I Also, would like to mention,That i've had a hammer,Pipe,Baseball bat,Knives,etc...Ive also had the displeasure,Of defeinding myself again 4 smelly guy's.:p

Yet, you're saying,That youe adversary's going to just hit you in the face. If some thug is just going to hit me in the face,I'll more than be ready for it when the time comes,& im just wandering if live in a area similar to sesame street.?

Peace out!
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: pointless techniques - 09/20/05 09:24 PM

These are generally only part of a much broader self defense repretiore and get way too much attention because they are a "gee whiz" thing. When taught properly and learned well, an experienced practitioner will tell you that they are merely part of a "whole" technique that usually does involve a kick or strike before the counter to the wrist grab is applied (if it's even needed at all).

Jkogas mentioned that wrestlers go for the wrists as a way to open someone up for an entry. Harlan mentioned the little girl who was obducted by being tugged away while the bad guy held her wrist.

Somewhere bewteen those two examples are a thousand other possibilties. I wouldn't exactly call it a waste of time to learn a few techniques and become proficient at them.
Posted by: Marz

Re: pointless techniques - 09/21/05 02:44 AM

Naraebon,

I'm sorry........ ......alot of groin grabbing where you're from? I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.....the comment...not the....groin grab.......nevermind.

Re: pointless techniques - 09/22/05 06:43 AM

If you were to forget or abandon the basics,I can assure you that your chances of getting an a$$ beating will not prevented.

i agree the basics should never be forgotten, if you dont learn the basics it'll be harder to learn advanced techniques.

but my point is when your using your two hands to get (usually) the attackers one hand off you and he wants to do some damage, if hes smart hell do something as soon as he sees it, so unless your good at taking hits and doing techniques while being punched, kicked or whatever else, its going to be hard to be fluid in technique, dodging punches and perfoming the techniqes is obviously a little trickier so depending on the technique it may affect body mechanics making things even trickier, if you have multiple assailants and your trying to perform the technique, dodge punches and kicks from the guy who grabbed your wrist to beggin with, getting hit from all angles from the others, and if their armed your going to have to do all that plus get seriously injured or killed.

also the thing about thugs hitting you in the face is true and i agree not much to worry about, i don't knoow why but most untrained morons on the street tend to always go for the one hit wonder with a 'punch' that feels more like a slap (a girly pathetic slap, not iron palm ).

the only time ive been grappled on the street is when these two 'townies' stopped me and tried going through my pockets, i were'nt having any of that so slapped his hand away, then one came behind me (should have been paying more attention) and grabbed my arms, straight away when the one in front went to hit me in the face i kicked him straight in the goolies , he bent over then i delivered him a kick to the face, i felt the other guys grip on my arms looses (probably through nervousness) so i pulled foward with my arms, breaking the grip, turned round and palmed his chin then ran off. (dont know if that was the right thing to do or not, didnt want to get the police involved).

anyway, a few months ago he came up to me after school and he didnt realy seem all that hostile, the first thing he said to me was "oy mate, remember me?". i thought "here go again..." expecting some more trouble, i said "yeah.." then to my suprize he said "how are you then?"! i was like "alright"! we talked for a little while and then went our seperate ways. nice story eh?
Posted by: Hapkid0ist

Re: pointless techniques - 09/22/05 02:22 PM

Quote:

and in my expreience ive never had anybody who wanted to fight me come and grab my wrist first off, so are these techniques pointless? or are they just filling the gap of 'just in case', cause as far as i know there not used much in competition either.

even as i write this some so called martial artists are no more than a few yards away from me in the library proving my point cause they cant grab eachothers wrists to begin with.

what do ya think

dcm

A amjority of wrist grab defenses one you learn them and become proficient in them also become punch defenses. Youlearn them first at their most basic form. As for the grab itself, you are supposed to react the moment you feel someone grabbing you. You don't wait till they get a solid lock on you. By that time they most likely will beging with something else. But even if this is the scenerio it is all about, practice, perfection, speed and execution. And yes I myself rarely see people just grab someone else and just stand there, but you have to learn the basics of a technique to understand it and apply it proerly in other situations. Otherwise neither you or your technique will reach its full potential. And I would say about 95 to 98% of the techniques we teach including the judo belt grab defenses are in time translated into punch defense techniques. Its just that in Hap Ki Do, or at least my DoJang we only show you how to do the techniques and help you understand the best or appropriate times to execute them, we never tell you that you have to use them this time or that time. Situations are unpredictable so must you be.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: pointless techniques - 09/22/05 04:25 PM

Wow ... speachless ... there ... composed myself and can think clearly now.

Wrist grabs / wrist locks ... all "very" useful. Many extremely valid points in this thread of how or when you can use these. As a self defense technique on its own it is invaluable ... especially for women and children ... not disallowing men either. These techniques are taught at our school and I have found them extremely useful and am only hampered by my own imagination.

I was surprised ... or possible read too quickly to see this but these are also extremely useful for grappling. Whether standing up or on the ground upside down or sideways a wrist is still a wrist and can be grabbed and trapped and locked up. I have seen and have done so where you use the floor or their body or your body to hold their elbow in place with force and then torque or bend the wrist/hand. Or vice versa. Can you say pain ... tapping out right now.

Can you use it in real life ... YES. Is it practical ... YES. Time and place for everything. I'd rather know it then not.

Again ... wow!
Posted by: cxt

Re: pointless techniques - 09/22/05 06:24 PM

Duragon

Something you also might consider is that in many classical schools the first tech taught are the simplist and least likly to be dangerous if the student quits and leaves the school.

That way they can't "steal" the really effective and more dangerous techniuqes.
Back in the day folks were seriously worried that what they teach you today could very well used against THEM the next.

Not saying that I agree with that outlook--but I will agree that it makes pretty good sense.

Maybe thats why some folks still teach that first.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: pointless techniques - 09/22/05 08:56 PM

Hello Dcm:

If someone it truly attempting to hurt you, do you believe they will not grab your hand to prevent you from hitting them? To prevent you from hurting them???

Perhaps distance is the fundamental key to the defensive technique? Close enough and grabbing is more likely maybe?

Merely a thought, for whatever its worth...
Jeff
Posted by: je8ki9

Re: pointless techniques - 09/22/05 09:15 PM

Sorry chaps,chapesses,over 28years of doorwork ,there are very few places of my anotomy that people have not tried to grab,tear or twist off .Because it hasnt happened to you doesnt mean it doesnt happen !!.Iv used wristlocks manytimes as well sweeps ,takedowns pps and a plethora of other techniques.If you think about it logically these movements would never be taught or practised if there was no real value.

YOU HAVE TO LOOK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX!!!!!

Re: pointless techniques - 10/04/05 09:18 AM

it may seem annoying to some that im bringing back this post from the bottom of the barrel but i havent been around, cause i have a life outside of the forums unlike some , any ways getting back to the rusty old topic in response to mainly ji8ki9, when you say they try to grab and tear things off, do you mean they've succeeded in grabbing you or you've stopped it, cause surely the truly skilled would'nt allow that to happen in the first place, but i can understand your situation being a doorman, you must stand your ground, your duty is to stop them from getting in, and it being a doorway your defending i dont suppose you have much room to menauver with a wall behind you correct?
Posted by: MikeC

Re: pointless techniques - 10/04/05 11:24 AM

Pointless techniques, Hmm..

It is interesting to note that what is usually perceived to be useless training can have great importance,” Wax on, Wax Off” It may be too simple of an example to use from the Karate Kid movie, but I think it illustrates the point well.

Training in the passed disguised the utility or relevance of a technique as a way of concealing from the uninitiated and the outside observer the true purpose of a technique. Because much of what is being learned is watered down, the knowledge and relevance of some of the “odd” looking technique has been lost or changed from its original meaning.

In some cases the meaning behind a technique is only passed on to higher students and the rational for it might be the complete opposite taught at lower levels (Shoden).

Technique and training in a particular school may also serve to develop the student to look, think and move in a particular way relevant to the Ryu. Goju Ryu training, for example, is meant to develop a student’s body to move in a certain way that is different from other Ryu. You should be able to look at a student and be able to tell that he is a Goju practitioner from the way they move. This happens only with those who practice seriously, that is why it is questionable, the practice of studying other Arts or schools.

The problem also boils down to the knowledge and experience of the teachers of a school, speaking only about traditional Ryu; some teachers have not spent enough time with their teachers. This has the effect of watering down the Ryu. Many students than proceed from appoint of view that a particular Ryu is weak in certain areas or there exist no specialist knowledge such as newaza. In the end the generic look that main stream Karate has come to have becomes the problem.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: pointless techniques - 10/04/05 11:59 AM

Quote:

You should be able to look at a student and be able to tell that he is a Goju practitioner from the way they move. This happens only with those who practice seriously, that is why it is questionable, the practice of studying other Arts or schools.

I disagree. first, at best it would be guessing. and second, It would be a disadvantage to advertise your Ryu.

{kintama half-moon steps his way out of the room, opens the door with his knee and closes with his elbow}
Posted by: eyrie

Re: pointless techniques - 10/04/05 07:50 PM

Quote:

Duragon

Something you also might consider is that in many classical schools the first tech taught are the simplist and least likly to be dangerous if the student quits and leaves the school.

That way they can't "steal" the really effective and more dangerous techniuqes.
Back in the day folks were seriously worried that what they teach you today could very well used against THEM the next.

Not saying that I agree with that outlook--but I will agree that it makes pretty good sense.

Maybe thats why some folks still teach that first.

I heard that it was the most "difficult" technique taught first.

Re: pointless techniques - 10/05/05 03:14 AM

i get what you mean by being able to tell a goju practioner by his movements (being one myself ) . for example all basic kicks, from zenkutsu-datchi for arguements sake, all start like a front kick.
for instance a round house starts like a front kick and is then pivoted into a roundhouse making it harder to tell what kick is about to be executed.
ive also notice alot of sweeping in goju ryu, it seems to be a trait that most goju practitioners have or maybe its cause the guys i train with are just old and sneaky (but still throw me around like a ragdoll i might add )
but what you must remember is that your fighting a person and not a style. sure they may move similar but you can garantee the crap thats going on in their head is completly different. (just took a page from Jkogas didnt i? )

i did a couple years of judo and have always loved newaza ever since, it maybe true that over the years certain arts have lost a few things due to 'watering down', but isnt it the responsability of the practitioner to make their art as full as it can be? their responsability to stay with their teachers until they know they are ready?
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: pointless techniques - 10/05/05 03:49 AM

Yeah training with the arm stuck out and the opponent not moving is bad thing if it's done as a part of normal training, but I'd say that's a pretty rare occurance. Most good MA schools only do that for the first few hours of learning a particular technique, then get to the more useful (advanced) stuff of that particular technique.

As far as wrist locks being useless..

Please tell me about the hand positioning of someone who has you in a head lock, in your opinion. I'd say a headlock is an extremely common position to be in in a street fight, especially if you are a nonviolent person and you do not wish to escalate violence. It happens to be a perfect position to make a wrist lock from, if you're good at escapes from headlocks anyways.

I have had someone put me in a headlock since I started training, and once before I started training. One of these people was a drunk friend who I did not want to hurt, hit or do anything unless I needed to.

Both times the wrist lock was available to me but I didn't go through with them fully because performing them would result in either a battle of strength to do a controlled wristlock where the other person wouldn't be seriously injured, or an all out wrist lock that would shatter the wrist entirely. Simply by twisting the body, then dropping a bit, and bringing their wrist with you is how wristlocks can beat strength. Full body movement, not strength battles, no one has the power to twist their arm in the opposite direction with more force than you can twist your whole body.

I think wristlocks are one of the most useful forms of basic self defense moves, especially in the context I gave above. If someone puts you in a rear or side headlock, you are automatically in prime position to twist your body, grab their wrist, escape from the lock and apply a wrist lock AND an elbow bar plus a throw that will result in them landing on their front, unable to keep fighting, all in one sequence. I speak from experience on this particular method because that's exactly what I would have done if this person hadn't been a drunken friend. It would have resulted in broken bones and them hitting their face on a nearby wall on the throw. I wound up doing something much simpler and less risky for them.

As far as wrist grabs are concerned, someone could grab your wrist if you try to punch them, i.e. they just blocked your punch and managed to get ahold of your arm, or they could be trying to crush your hand with theirs to be macho (happens a lot with big guys, I'm sure you know someone who does it too, just imagine if they were drunk and angry). Also a standard 'come along' type of grip, aggressive bouncers or someone trying to drag you out of a building to start a fight, etc.. Also possible is if you are armed with a weapon or incapacitating spray, if they miss the weapon you're holding they'll try to go for the wrist usually, if a grab was their intention.

Another scenario is someone who might actually know something about martial arts and they are trying to apply a wrist lock on you, or worse a throw or elbow lock, you are in big big trouble if someone grabs your wrist then starts to turn around for a shoulder throw. You'd better know how to escape or your arm is about to be broken and you're going onto the floor in a hurry.