Interesting items

Posted by: MattJ

Interesting items - 09/03/05 08:13 PM

I got a new catalog today with a few things I might be interested in. If anyone has used any of these or knows anything about them, please give your impression.

Weighted vest - http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25464

This seems like a really good way to increase the intensity of a workout. I would like to know how well it works for bag work or even bike riding.

Heavybag attachment - http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24747

This seems like a cool way to get a DEFENSIVE workout on the heavy bag.

And of course, especially for me - http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25455

Remember! There can be only one!!
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Interesting items - 09/03/05 11:03 PM

This quarters Journal of Asian Martial Arts had a very good review of that weighted vest.

I know that doesn't help much, but I have purchased items based on reviews from said journal, and have been very pleased.

Whatever you do, definately buy the championship belt!! Everyone should have one

Page
Posted by: Cord

Re: Interesting items - 09/04/05 03:49 AM

Weighted vest- comes into its own for exercises like push ups, chin ups and plyo-squats. Also skipping if you feel particularly masochistic

The bag attachment looks cool! Me and my old training partner used to have a netting buoy about this size (hard plastic) on a long length of chain attached to the centre of his garage ceiling- we would play what can only be described as full contact swingball! one hits it at any angle, and the other has to evade, strike it back or get hit in the face very painfully!! This contraption made me get all nostalgic

Belt- only if you get a John Cena 'spinner' style one with loads of bling Seriously, 170 bucks is a bit strong isnt it? I mean, for that cash you could get a black belt in Dux-Ryu! Much more impressive
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Interesting items - 09/04/05 03:57 AM

Quote:

Heavybag attachment - http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24747

Once I've my training room sorted, I'm definately ordering one of these. Looks cool!
Posted by: Gino

Re: Interesting items - 09/04/05 09:48 AM

Matt - I purchased a weighted vest (not the one from the catalog you've referenced, but it looks very similar) and wear it while doing push-ups and chins. The added resistance definately makes the routine more challenging.
Posted by: Mu Ryuk

Re: Interesting items - 09/04/05 04:28 PM

I think that Championship Belt should replace black belts in all styles of martial arts

The heavybag attachment is very cool, that would definitely add a new dimension to heavybag work. I might get that.
Posted by: shihan_chris

Re: Interesting items - 09/05/05 01:30 AM

"Weighted vest- comes into its own for exercises like push ups, chin ups and plyo-squats. Also skipping if you feel particularly masochistic "

Whatever happened to somebody putting their foot on your back if you want to kick it up a notch with pushups, or just changing the position of your hands so you have less leverage, thus increasing the amount of force it takes to do each individual pushup? There's always some trick of the trade that you can use to improvise instead of purchasing some pointless item. You've just got to think outside of the box. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm by no means "cheap". I'm just practical.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Interesting items - 09/05/05 01:47 AM

Feet on the back does not provide consistant resistance unless the person is standing on you.

This is just another trick of the trade. If the box works, why do you have to think outside of it?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Interesting items - 09/05/05 08:24 AM

Quote:

Whatever happened to somebody putting their foot on your back if you want to kick it up a notch with pushups, or just changing the position of your hands so you have less leverage, thus increasing the amount of force it takes to do each individual pushup? There's always some trick of the trade that you can use to improvise instead of purchasing some pointless item. You've just got to think outside of the box. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm by no means "cheap". I'm just practical.

Feet on the back does not ensure an even distribution of weight, therefore poses risk to the integrity of the spine, also not everyone has a person handy to 'do the deed'.

Changing hand position does change the intensity of the exercise, but it does this by emphasising different muscles in the functional movement. The closer you place your hands together, the greater the angle of flexion becomes at the elbow, so the greater the workload on the triceps becomes. These are smaller muscles than the pecs, so the percieved effort becomes greater, although you are, in actuality, using less involvement through the chest.

A weighted vest is a safe and quantifiable way of increasing resistance for all bodyweight exercises. Its not essential, but as investments go, there is far worse and more expensive training equipment around.
Posted by: Tino

Re: Interesting items - 09/05/05 10:08 AM

I really liked the heavy bag attachment.MattJ have you ever used this attachment before?Im thinking I might like to purchase one of these.Cool site.
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: Interesting items - 09/05/05 11:42 AM

What do you guys think of this?
http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25260
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Interesting items - 09/05/05 04:55 PM

Quote:

Weighted vest - http://www.ringside.com/detail.aspx?ID=25464

This seems like a really good way to increase the intensity of a workout. I would like to know how well it works for bag work or even bike riding.

a lot of professional free-runners/tracaurs use these so it would probably work just a well for bike riding but you're balance will probably change as you're now heavier while leaning.

would also be good for workouts for the reasons mentioned before.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Interesting items - 09/05/05 06:35 PM

I have seen those shadowboxing rigs before. It seems like they would give a decent workout, but I prefer to actually hit something as opposed to shadowboxing.