olimpics

Posted by: SHAO KHAN

olimpics - 09/03/05 11:09 AM

Im intrested to know what people think of the standard of martial arts at the olympics i found the judo ok but the taekwondo slightly borring
Posted by: roniwankan

Re: olimpics - 09/20/05 04:14 PM

All sport has it positive and negative points, Judo is a great martial art, I do not see problems with TKD.
And do not forget Karate is olimpic too.
The Pan American Games this year counts with Karate and will be done in Brasil, Rio de Janeiro. I live in Brasil and I am crazy to see the games!!!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: olimpics - 09/21/05 02:05 AM

sorry...Karate is not in the Olympics.

Yes it has been admitted into the Pan Am Games (& Asian Games & European Games etc.) which is the contenental versions of the Olympics but not yet an official Olympic sport.

(Thank goodness)
Posted by: Marz

Re: olimpics - 09/21/05 02:24 AM

I have to admit, I'm the other way around. I like watching the TKD, but not so big on the Judo. Actually, after awhile, they both get boring. The medal rounds are usually the best entertainment. I may be alittle biased toward the TKD as I used to be a TKD practitioner and a friend of mine was on the last U.S. olympic team. Still, I'd rather watch UFC. No offense.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: olimpics - 09/21/05 02:59 AM

I don't know much about the unarmed arts, but the fencing is generally excellent (the best of the best of the A rated fencers from all over the duking it out for the win). Unfortunately, they never show it due to the relative unbroadcastability of the sport.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: olimpics - 09/21/05 09:36 AM

Quote:

I don't know much about the unarmed arts, but the fencing is generally excellent (the best of the best of the A rated fencers from all over the duking it out for the win). Unfortunately, they never show it due to the relative unbroadcastability of the sport.

i don't think a foil would pick up on a camera too well.

then again i tried fencing and i couldn't see where my oppinents foil was going lol (so i watched his wrist instead).
Posted by: JohnL

Re: olimpics - 09/21/05 09:44 AM

They are trying and have tried a number of things to make fencing more appealing to the TV companies but have yet to succeed.

Unfortunately/fortunately fencing is based on concealing your intent from the opponent and deceiving him. Doesn't work well for TV I'm afraid.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: olimpics - 09/21/05 08:59 PM

And the general public finds NHB boring...they understand boxing/kickboxing a little better than the intracacies of submission grappling*...

*I know that boxing and all forms of kickboxing can be intricate, multifaceted and successful in numerous self defense scenarios.