McPakua - want fries w/ that?

Posted by: hedkikr

McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/26/05 09:37 PM

This is a chain of schools that have recently begun to pop up in my area (I've got 3 within a 2 mile radius). From what I've seen, it's a mish-mash of techniques including BJJ & yoga. Watch the training/technique videos & have a good laugh.

One more thing...check out the "Masters" section to see what the "masters" & "Instructors" look like (especially Master Frantantoni).

www.pakua.org
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/26/05 09:51 PM

'Pa' means 8 and 'Kua' means changes. Well, at least they are 50% right.
Posted by: xuzen_628

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 12:20 AM

Some nit picking issues....

1) Pakua as I know is always refer to a zhang (palm) not chuen (fist). Hence I have only seen Pakuacheong or Baguazhang... never Pakua chuen. Maybe it is just terminology issue here, but any thought from other BGZ practitioner out there?

2) In the weapon section listed as sabre training... I don't see the traditional chinese Dao or broadsword, but rather it seems that they are holding katana, and the form that they are doing seems more akin to some form of mish mash iaido rather than the chinese broadsword form that I have seen before.

Pakua knowledge are also used extensively in the study of geomancy or feng shui, I wonder if they also teach them too...

Xwf
Posted by: Kintama

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 01:07 AM

"iitai? iitai? iitakunai daiyo! Yowaimushi dese ne!"

thought your quote was funny, was that from your sensei?
translation: "That hurt? That hurt? That didn't hurt- you are just a weak insect aren't you!"

on topic: ...is there a relationship in owners and/or org between Shaolin-Do and Pakua? I found some connections, but can't really nail down a common element. could be coincidence. also, I'm not sure but couldn't 'Pakua' also translate to '8-animals' ?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 01:24 AM

Kin,

I always thought that Pa Kua was 8 Changes or 8 directions. Eight animals I had never heard of before. I am very ignorant on Chinese martial arts, but thought this one of the "higher" internal styles.

-B
Posted by: xuzen_628

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 01:55 AM

Dear Kintama,

Yes, the funny quote is indeed from my sensei. I thought it was funny too. It happenned not too long ago, about one year ago when we did a technique called tekubi osae (a Daito ryu technique/ yonkyo for those in the aikikai system). A 4th kyu student cried out because he could not take the pain and sensei shouted at him "iitai? iitai? iitakunai daiyo! Yowaimushi dese ne!".

Baguazhang and Shaolin Chuanfa is heaven and earth apart, in terms of philospohy, organization etc. BGZ is one of the three major internal system of CMA, whereas Shaolin is known as the external style. Shaolin is heavily influenced by Buddhist phylosophy, BGZ is Toaist. Shaolin started from Henan province, BGZ is from Wudang mountain (pls correct me if I am wrong as I type this impromtu without refering to any published source).

And finally, as I recall, there is no known 8 animal style in the CMA universe, albeit there are 5 animals kung fu. Hence IMO, Pakua cannot be translated to 8 animals style.

Xwf
Posted by: MattJ

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 09:42 AM

Training videos......what is with all the turning of backs to the opponent? Seems like a RNC waiting to happen.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 10:32 AM

Ohhhh...I want a chance to spar with those guys in the videos!

Mike
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 10:40 AM

Is it just me, or is their sparring just one guy doing a form and the other guy just running around and punching where he knows the next block is going to be?
Posted by: glad2bhere

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/27/05 12:15 PM

I hope you folks are not altogether surprised. The Hapkido arts have dealt with this condition for some years.

For myself I have noticed a growing number of Mc-MA-s in the last ten years. Formerly it was usually somebody who has whip-stitched together some material and gave it a name of its own. However, I have noticed a growing number of cases where people have constructed some art and assumed a name of of a known and respected activity. My sense is this started with arts such as Judo and Karate when those terms came to be used in a more generic sense. Later it was "Kung-Fu" and Taekwondo. Now the effort seems to be more art specific with BaQua Chang, Escrima, Penjat Silat and Muay Thai being the most recent. To my way of thinking this pro mises to get worse rather than better if these arts do not make an effort to define their limits and authenticity. They don't have to "stand-tall" but they DO need to "stand-up". FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Posted by: Kintama

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/28/05 05:43 PM

I was talking about this:
http://www.whitemountain-tao.com/html/xiepeiqi.html
lol
either that sword is cartoon-size, or he is 2 feet tall.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 08/28/05 07:12 PM

Quote:

I was talking about this:
http://www.whitemountain-tao.com/html/xiepeiqi.html
lol
either that sword is cartoon-size, or he is 2 feet tall.

I'm sorry i just couldn't resist!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/y34/Funstick5000/?action=view&current=Nowthatswhataknife.jpg
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 09/16/05 07:46 PM

more on that pa kua chain...

Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 09/16/05 11:41 PM

Quote:

more on that pa kua chain...

Just to round up, funny you should ask about 'fries' because in the Fujian / Fukien dialect, "Pak Kua" is also a kind of roasted sweet meat, popular during the Chinese new year; and I believe it probably might go well with fries.
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: McPakua - want fries w/ that? - 09/18/05 07:05 PM

Quote:

Is it just me, or is their sparring just one guy doing a form and the other guy just running around and punching where he knows the next block is going to be?

If you can call that punching. It looked to me more like a form demonstration (this is the form you do, now I will be the other guy and show the meaning of the moves). A good jab to the back or kick to the knees would have knocked him off balance, and with that pre-programmed footwork, would have gotten him on the floor in no time.