Schools in Tampa?

Posted by: Eric4444

Schools in Tampa? - 07/31/05 09:32 PM

I'm looking for some good schools in Tampa for when I go to college. I've tried looking online but haven't had much luck. I'm looking for a good traditional school. What I really want to train in is Goju Ryu. I don't know if there are any schools down there though. Kyokushin would probably be my second choice. So if anyone knows the area, and knows any schools, please let me know.
Posted by: 7G MAVERICK CbT

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/01/05 01:58 AM

i know there a goju school in tampa. but it not goju ryu it called usa goju federation. i got the website for you it not very good website but here it is http://www.goju-karate.com/syndication
Posted by: Ogoun

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/01/05 10:21 AM

There is on Goju-Ryu school and one Kyokushin school. You can check the yellow pages, they are all listed. I recently moved to Tampa this year, and I was looking for a traditional myself.
Posted by: Eric4444

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/01/05 04:04 PM

Have you been to either of them? What are you thoughts? I'm going to the University of Tampa, and won't have a car, are they downtown?
Posted by: 7G MAVERICK CbT

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/01/05 05:04 PM

i dont live in flordia. i live in Ga i just came across that website. i do take usa goju federation but i never taken goju ryu. i know some body does goju ryu he said its similar. the classes says it 45 min long in tampa. in georgia the classes are more then a hour. or if you want to check out another website see what usa goju federation is like. go to www.google.com and type usa goju federation
Posted by: kadena

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/01/05 06:25 PM

This is a web site for Tampa Bay martial artists -- http://martial.meetup.com/18/members/. Information from this site current as of October 2004 --"Tampa Family Martial Arts, Goju Ryu. We have about 30 students. Anyone interested in working out, please call 813 317-7988."

The Kyokushin dojos in Zephyrhills and Brandon will require bus trips if you don't have a car. There's an Aikikai dojo within walking distance of UT that's good. Other dojos in the vicinity probably require a bike to get to and I don't know about their styles or quality of instruction.

If you've any interest in judo then try instruction with Professor Ed Maley. He teaches out of a YMCA approx 5 miles from UT (http://www.floridaschoolofjudo.com/schedule.html) from noon - 1 pm MWF.

A good Shuri Ryu dojo is run out of Lightning City Gymnastics (http://lightningcity.com/) by Sensei Luis Lugo, but this also requires a bus trip since it's in north Tampa.
Posted by: Ogoun

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/02/05 11:43 AM

No, I have not visited them. According to the yellow pages, it on Martin Luther King Blvd. I believe MLK blvd goes thru the downtown area.
Posted by: kadena

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/02/05 12:43 PM

Actually Martin Luther King is up by the NFL football stadium which is north of downtown. That's another bus ride since riding a bike in that town is not the best idea. Bike lanes are practically non-existant in non-residential areas and the heat can be miserable.
Posted by: Okinawagojuryu

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/19/05 07:04 AM

Hello , my name is David Somers . I live in Tampa, FL . I have been training since about 1978 , & have a Yon Dan from The Okinawa Goju Ryu Seibukai , under the late Nakasone Kinei Sensei . I have also trained many yrs w/ Sensei from the Miyazato Ha lineage of Goju Ryu , as well . I do not have a Dojo, perse , however I do welcome those w/ a good heart to come train w/ me privately . If you would be interested in meeting , & doing some possible training , please contact me privately .

Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/19/05 07:44 AM

Welcome to the forums David.

Hmmmm. Private instruction. I like that idea,may give it a go.
Posted by: Okinawagojuryu

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/20/05 12:35 AM

Wouldnt that be a far drive , from Ark?

David
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 08/20/05 02:48 AM

Quote:

Wouldnt that be a far drive , from Ark?

David

Yes it would! I was making a reference to our school,which is also private.
Posted by: TampaGojuRyu

Re: Schools in Tampa? - 09/05/05 07:40 PM

I have a dojo in Tampa that practices traditional Okinawan Goju Ryu affiliated with the IOGKF - we are called Tampa Family Martial Arts - website www.tampagoju-ryu.com
We are North of the Stadium about 3 miles - drop me an email at tfma@tampabay.rr.com if you want more information.
Bob