how to train my uppercut on my heavybag?

Posted by: bear86

how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/27/05 09:37 PM

i have this problem, i can do all other stuffs with my heavybag except with uppercut. anyone have any other way to train uppercut?
Posted by: pisces590

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/27/05 09:40 PM

get one of the body shaped rubber hitting things, adjust it to the right height, then uppercut away.
Posted by: DrAgOnPuNcH

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/27/05 09:53 PM

u can try holdin light dumbbells and upper cut wit em....
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/27/05 10:24 PM

Punching with weights is a bad in my opinion.
Turn the heavybag up sideways,prop it up or tie it.Punch underneath.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/27/05 10:34 PM

if there is a long enough chain: hold the bag up to the desired height, and link it together with a Petzl.
now you can uppercut the bottom of the bag.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/27/05 11:45 PM

They also specificly sell a device for uppercut training and knees.
http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-uppercut-bag.html

Or, look at the above and rig you bag accordingly.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/28/05 01:40 AM

I agree with Kintama. You can also lift up the heavy bag so that it is parallel with the floor and punch the sides of it.

However the problem with using the heavy bag for uppercuts is that the bag may be too resistant to follow through for correct striking angles and impact. This is dependent upon the bag.

Thus, I still recommend partner drills with focus mitts to be a better way of practing this technique.

Regards,

-B

P.S. Sorry, I didn't look at Neko's link until after I posted. Next time I will look at the links first.

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/28/05 02:53 AM

Why do you think punching with weights is bad?

I'd say the partner drills are the best for an uppercut

But that bag looks really cool.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/28/05 03:09 AM

Goju,

I know you asked Sanchin this, but thought I would give my two cents here as well. I was always taught to not use weights with punching or kicking either for the following reasons.

However, I will preface this with the following two exceptions: 1) Chen Zen, Mod for Jeet Kun Do, has stated that he did this practice and it benefitted him; and 2) Slow movements using moderate weights going through the full range of impact is OK for conditioning and strength training.

Now here's the problem: Outside of wearing gloves which are usually only one pound and have the mass of the glove dissipated over the surface area of the hand and wrist is very different than holding weights.

If you hold or tie weights, say 2-5 pounds, to yourself and punch or kick with enthusiasm and speed to full impact of technique, you risk pulling muscles, injuring joints, and damaging tendons and ligaments through the holding of this additional weight.

Punching with excessive force and speed while carring a dumbell or having a weight band attached to your wrist can more easily hyperextend your elbow and damage your wrist when doing these things at full speed.

Be very careful if you use weights in this way. Please also note, this is different than using a resistive band attached behind the user to one of his limbs so that it is fully placing a load on the arm or leg when punching or kicking throughout its entire motion. This can be an effective training mechanism.

However, when holding a weight and punching, for instance, it is not the actual forward motion of pushing the weight along that injures...it is in stopping this additional weight and its forward momentum that is a possible danger.
Your wrist wasn't designed to hold back the momentum of this extra mass.

Regards,
-B
Posted by: BigRod

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/28/05 07:22 AM

There's nothing wrong with light shadowboxing with weights, no more than 5 lbs. Take it easy, smooth, slow and fluid movements. Probably best to limit this to 1-2 rounds.

And pay very close attention to what butterfly said.
Posted by: schanne

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/28/05 09:30 AM

Can't someone hold some focus pads for you, sounds like your making a mole hill into a mountain
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 07/28/05 11:37 PM

If all you have is your heavy bag you can let the uppercut slide up the bag untill it is head height. This will help you to slip a uppercut to your opponents chin. We would do only uppercuts for a whole round this way it will also help your speed because your not trying to kill the bag.

Kevin
Posted by: Jay Q

Re: how to train my uppercut on my heavybag? - 08/01/05 12:33 PM

I have also run into the same problem. I want to practice uppercuts and head kicks more accurately on my heavy bag. Here are a few things I've found from doing some research:

1. Revgear makes a "donut" style attachment that goes around the heavy bag that creates an extended edge that you can practice uppercuts on. Problem is it's about $60 for this attachment. Kind of pricey in my opinion. You can find it on their website.

2. Century also makes a donut style attachment. Cheaper in price but does not seem as well made as the Revgear. I've used Revgear focus gloves and they're made well.

3. I saw this video of Kyokushin fighter Ryu Narujima (who is awesome by the way) working out on a heavy bag. There was an attachment on the bag. It was a square shaped portion (about the size of a person's head) that extended from the heavy bag and was attached to it by a strap. I think the strap was velcro. If I had my choice I would rather have this than the donut style attachment. It seems more conducive to training accurate uppercuts, front kick under the chin, round kick to the side of the head and hooks to the side of the head or chin. Anybody train with this or know where I can get one?

Peace,
Jay Q