New Student

Posted by: Rappa1

New Student - 06/27/05 12:07 PM

Hello, I'm a new student to MA and have a quick question. I have enjoyed my first 2 classes but fear I will not be a "regular" as I am a musician and my schedule changes from week to week. Can you still benefit and/or progress from studying 2x per week? Will others/instructor not take me as a serious student if I attend at irregular intervals? Thanks for your input.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: New Student - 06/27/05 12:18 PM

Rappa,

I think 2x is better than no time. But from my experience, same as lifting, same as running (cardio)....three times a week is the best cost/benefit ratio.

But, you can only do as much as you can do...and try to reap the rewards from a lower quantity class schedule.

Good luck.

-B
Posted by: MAGr

Re: New Student - 06/27/05 12:22 PM

This dude in my school has exactly the same problem as you, in terms of schedule. So he goes comes twica a week but practices regularly at home or in the park when he can. You dont have to go to every lesson, but you should try to practice at home when you can, that should let you be a bit more flexible in terms of time.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: New Student - 06/27/05 12:23 PM

Heh. I feel your pain. Due to my work/wife schedule, I can only attend classes 2 times a month.

Don't worry about how other people may percieve you. If you enjoy the training, and are getting out of it what you need, that is the only thing that is important.

You may take somewhat longer to progress than others that train more often, but unless you have a death match next week, there is really no rush.
Posted by: DaDoN_1

Re: New Student - 06/27/05 04:35 PM

yeah man..i know the feeling...i live kinda far from where i train....and it sux...but on the days when u can't make it..still try 2 do something on ur own..be it perfecting ur stances, inproving ur sparrin techniques...do something..and besides...2 times a week is still good..every class counts man, once ur willing to give it ur all damn u could even go one class and u'll improve!
hope u stick at it man..good luck!
Posted by: Slayr

Re: New Student - 06/27/05 08:09 PM

Talk to your instructor and see how he/she feels about your potential attendance. Training twice a week is fine, just remember that you should learn while in the dojo and practice at home. As long as you practice elsewhere, twice a week is cool. You shold have plenty to work on. Have fun with it!
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: New Student - 06/27/05 09:31 PM

All that and welcome to the forum .