What's in a name?

Posted by: harlan

What's in a name? - 06/17/05 04:28 PM

I'm new here, so I don't know the story. Some of the folks here have unusual 'handles'. How did you come by yours?

I'll start. Had to pick a nom de plume in High School. Picked 'harlan' (small h) in honor of one of my favorite writers (Harlan Ellison, 'For I Have No Mouth and Must Scream)
Posted by: Kintama

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 04:49 PM

the kanji is this:
Kin=Gold Tama=Balls

and the meaning is this:
Kintama = 'family jewels'
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 04:55 PM

I should have guessed as much

Budo(martial way) Doc(me) easy transition=BuDoc

Page
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 05:36 PM

That's easy, nothing creative here.

I am a hapkido practitioner so.....here you go.

http://www.kidohae.or.kr/eng/company/company.asp

The Korea Kido Association.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 05:52 PM

Dereck ... it's me ... my real name. Was going to use Wraith because when I was younger I was into Fantasy type characters and books. Have used this for gaming in the past but for this I felt I didn't need to hide behind a false identity and thought I'd just be myself ... not that I'm saying others are hiding. Plus it is cool to actual see my name and spelled correctly because I've never seen it spelled this way before. Martial arts have taught me to be accepting of others and of myself so just wanted to be me.
Posted by: GaryHanson

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 06:34 PM

Superb topic harlan, I too would be interedsted in knowing why people chose their handles.
Alas, my name is not particular interesting. It just happens to be me
I did toy with the idea of using my nickname "Brush" which my mates still call me to this day (after an unfortunate haircut I once had, many years ago).

Gary.
Posted by: oldman

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 06:45 PM

Harlan,
When I wrestle with my son it always starts the same way. I say " Boy, one day you're gonna kick my @$$........ BUT IT'S NOT GONNA BE TONIGHT!!!!!. Then he says "You never know old man, it just might be.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 07:26 PM

Within my tribal clan (Lenni Lenape - Wolf Clan) I am the Meesingwe, or Game Keeper = Ranger.

And yes I did have Ranger training in the Army.
Posted by: jnpnshr411

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 08:24 PM

I have been using jnpnshr411 online since seventh grade. I dont even know why i use it or how i came about it...but if any of you guys know then please tell me
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 08:26 PM

Sanchin-three battles(generally accepted as mind,body,and spirit)
31- my age,how old I was when I began posting.

I know,ingenious.
Posted by: ziggytkd

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 08:32 PM

Ziggy is my nick name and tae kwon do was the first martial art style I ever took.
Posted by: Outshined

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 08:33 PM

Outshined....A Soundgarden Tribute...
Posted by: butterfly

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 08:38 PM

OK,
Butterfly....my first and last name start with B and when you reverse one and put them together it sort of looks like a butterfly. Added to this, I knew an anthropology instructor once who had a young, slightly dislexic son who would call a butterfly and flutterby...and that, for whatever reason, stuck in my head.

And it sounded neat.

-B
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 08:48 PM

Bushi- gentleman warrior
No- possessive particle in Japanese
Ki- Spirit/soul

Altogether, Spirit of the Gentleman Warrior. I use it because despite my difficulties in school, I am actually quite the scholar, as well as a MAist.
Posted by: kenposan

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 09:10 PM

Kenpo- my art is Okinawa Kenpo.
-san = Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss : It's a mark of respect.

Pretty boring, huh?
Posted by: Rayman452

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 09:53 PM

Microsoft old zone.net for games, was like grade four I think, wanted a cool name so I chose rayman after the video game rayman, and since my first name is Ray. It said it was already taken so I was crushed, but it offered the numbers 452 at the end, so I've been rayman452 ever since.
Posted by: Gino

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 10:08 PM

My username used to be budobrubbie ("budo" = martial way, "brubbie" becuase I couldn't say the word "brother" when I was a kid). Now I just use my nickname, what everyone else calls me (even the wife), "Gino".
Posted by: MAGr

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 10:08 PM

I am very glad to know about other people's names thats a great topic.
My 'handle' comes from the fact that I have competed in professional sports (non-MA) since I was 14. I always represented England internationally. I am Greek, and proud of it and I guess through guilt I decided that at least in MAs I am going to represent the country I am from Hence MA-Gr(eece).
Posted by: eyrie

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 10:12 PM

"eyrie" means Eagle's Nest in Celtic. It's the name of our property. My wife's lastname is Eagle and we have a nest on the hill.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 11:32 PM

Great topic!

Over a decade ago in undergrad I took an elective course on mythology. Xibalba is the Mayan term for the land of the dead, where the lords of the underworld reside. I thought it sounded cool, and is my screen name for most forums and/or games I might participate in.

Mike
Posted by: JoelM

Re: What's in a name? - 06/17/05 11:48 PM

Yet another boring person. I'm Joel. I wanted to actually be myself here, not to hide behind a name (also not accusing others). I'm not going to make you guess my last name this time, I don't have the money to donate to the site again (you know who you are).
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 12:42 AM

Quote:

Yet another boring person. I'm Joel. I wanted to actually be myself here, not to hide behind a name (also not accusing others). I'm not going to make you guess my last name this time, I don't have the money to donate to the site again (you know who you are).

The least I could do is to donate the other 5, to make it an even 10; what say you, Michaud?

We'll go broke if every now and then someone starts a 'why your handle' thread
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 12:48 AM

Quote:

... not that I'm saying others are hiding.

Oh, but we are.

I came up with mine as a metaphor for language. Really deep at the time.

And, admittedly, it sounds cool.

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 12:52 AM

$10 even sounds good, Double B. My contribution will be made shortly.

Anybody going to join us? $5 to fightingarts.com?
Posted by: Cord

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 01:13 AM

Cord is the name of the principle character in a movie called 'The Silent Flute' co written by bruce lee and James Coburn. In it he is on a quest to defeat a mighty warrior, the prize for doing so is the book of all knowledge. Fantastic offbeat MA movie.

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 01:18 AM

Joel ...I think it clearly states in the forum rules that there shall be no solicitation. lol

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 01:25 AM

It's not solicitation, it's suggestion. I'm only acting as a moderator when I type in bold. Otherwise I just get to have my name a cool color.

So to you.

My $5 are in. How about all you other slackers?
Posted by: JumpingSideKick

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 02:58 AM

I have always been fascinated by Tae Kwon Do's jumping kicks, and the jumping side kick is a trademark Chung Do Kwan technique.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 03:26 AM

Leo - My nickname, mainly chosen by my friends because it's got the same first letter as my real name. It stuck because it's 3 letters long and therefore fits perfectly on arcade machine high score tables.
E - First letter of my surname
49 - My favourite number
Posted by: 18lohans

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 04:26 AM

I'm not sure if it's true, but I've heard many times that Shaolin Kung Fu originated from 18 postures Bodhidharma (spelling?) taught the monks (to help them stay awake during meditation). The postures are known as the 18 lohans.

Also, most MA's just seem linked to Shaolin (also not sure how valid this one is). But yeah, basically I just wanted a nick that shouted "the origins/roots/beginnings" or something like that.
Posted by: MiSt

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 07:04 AM

My name comes from when I joined a gaming clan called '_KEEPERoF_' and I had to chose somthing short that would fit in with the other guys names...I had always wanted to join the _KEEPERoF_ clan..they all had names like _KEEPERoF_PitY and _KEEPERoF_SoulZ so I chose _KEEPERoF_MiSt.

It reminds me of mythikal strange things..Oh, and it looks cool(I think).
Posted by: sunspots

Re: What's in a name? - 06/18/05 01:55 PM

My second passion in life, after martial arts, is solar physics, especially sunspots, solar flares, coronal mass ejections, etc. I use this name on some sites relating to that, and just kept using it here.
Posted by: Budokan for fun

Re: What's in a name? - 06/19/05 05:42 AM

My name simply indicates how much I enjoy martial arts.
Posted by: Prometej

Re: What's in a name? - 06/19/05 05:55 AM

Prometej ( Prometheus) , you all know the myth and what it represents
Posted by: Circle_of_Owls

Re: What's in a name? - 06/19/05 11:09 AM

In many cultures the owl is a symbol of knowledge and wisdom, it is also known for silence, and watchfullness. The owl is also one of the most deadly birds of prey. It reminds me of the "gentleman warrior" that Bushi_no_ki mentioned earlier. I won't pretend to possess knowledge or wisdom, but I do value them. Silent and watchfull describes me pretty well though.

The circle is an allusion to vultures circling a dead animal. I've always wondered what owls would circle, if they were prone to do such things. Would they search for knowledge? Are they just watching? Or do they just want to kill something?

Yes, I thought about this way too much.

- CoO

Re: What's in a name? - 06/19/05 12:11 PM

I think birds in general have some sort of weird gyroscope mechanism that somehow calibrates to magnetic north...circling might be a way for them to gain their bearings, each pass in the circle getting more accurate...or it also could be communicating it's territory or even just hunting. maybe all three. but I think we can assume that it is something necessary and wise for their survival. I'm not sure. the name Circle_of_Owls is interesting though.
Posted by: QuietGal

Re: What's in a name? - 06/19/05 02:07 PM

Mine is from people's (somewhat false) perception of me when the first meet me. When I first started MA with the group I belong with, they all thought I was a nice quiet girl (they thought I was a teenager when I joined). Turns out I am rarely quiet, not as nice as I seem (though I try to be), and a bit older than they thought. Fooled them all!!!
Posted by: spectrum

Re: What's in a name? - 06/19/05 11:15 PM

spectrum was a project from work. I was used to typing the word and Mark was taken.

In hindsight I hope some greater meaning is possible?

Re: What's in a name? - 10/30/05 10:53 PM

bump
Posted by: Karateka13

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 12:07 AM

Mine's quite boring too, and you'd think I would have thought up a more creative "handle" since my favorite subject is English and I'm a voracious reader. Voracious_Reader...now doesn't that sound so much better?

Anyways, I'm a karateka...and my favorite number is thirteen. I'm soooo original!

Posted by: thisguy

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 12:14 AM

well when ever i do something online, i try to be origonal with my names. so i play a game where my name was "thatdude" so in honor of that character my name is "thisguy"

other names include, but aren't limited to: darkmonkey, OhCrap, ThisNameIsTaken, WarmCimpSalad and so on...
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 05:59 AM

Mine was given to me after I came back from an injury with a steel plate in my ankle and started kicking hard again.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 08:13 AM

Mine is quite straightforward. I practice Wado Ryu and I am female so I was wadowoman for around a year when I started posting here. Then the forums crashed and I couldn't sign on with that name so I registered as was wadowoman. Very soon after there was another problem and I re- registered again as still wadowoman.
Sharon
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 08:59 AM

Zombie is a nickname I was given in the Navy. It was descriptive of how I looked before my morning coffee, especially after a night of partying.

On most forums and online games, the name 'Zombie' is already taken, so rather than add a numeral to the end, I added 'Zero'.

Double-Z
Posted by: horizon

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 09:08 AM

Well, my name is Kim, an on primary school someone told me that it meant 'horizon' in Japanese. I always remembered that because I thought horizon as a name was beautiful. Hopefully I am correct, otherwise embarrased . Then again, I still like 'horizon' and don't want to change it.

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 09:44 AM

'Kim' can't be Japanese since they do not have a standalone 'm' particle (they do have a 'n' however).

'Kim' in Korean means 'gold' and shares the same chinese character with Japanese 'Kin', also meaning gold. 'Jin' in Chinese is the word for gold.

There are several words in Japanese for 'horizon'...Kim is not one of them and isn't a correct romanization. your name in Japanese would have to be 'Kimu'.

having 'gold' to your name isn't such a bad thing
Posted by: REDTGR

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 10:13 AM

I got the name red tiger because red is the color of fire, and tiger is my birth year animal. both these are included in my chinese year of birth.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 10:15 AM

Iai is from my MA of choice, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido.
Bear is for my consummate lack of grace when committing Aikido..
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 11:51 AM

Wow...long thread. How'd I miss this one?

Actually, these days it's hard for me to kick that high (unless you're 10 y/o). I needed an e-mail address that MA-ists would remember & "asskikr" sounded too low-class. It also makes people smile when they figure it out.
Posted by: cdkrugjr

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 12:21 PM

Cue Guy . . . our lowest tested rank is Kyu Gai . . . Japanese for either "No Kyu" or (my preference) "10,000th Kyu"

Just a way of reminding myself that I'm still a beginner.
Posted by: ShaolinNinja

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 12:36 PM

I study Shaolin kung fu and ninjutsu. Anybody who's watched enough B-movies knows that the two most kickass martial artists are Shaolin monks and ninjas. Hence: Shaolin monk + ninja <<<via cosmic synergism>>> = ME, ShaolinNinja. Can you dig it?
Posted by: WuXing

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 02:08 PM

WuXing is Five Animals, which is the form I am focusing on for my personal practice (Shaolin Wu Xing Quan). There is such a variety of techniques and applications, it will take me a long time to discover all the potential uses.
Posted by: dogfacedboyuk1

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 02:18 PM

dogfacedboy is a pretty hairy circus freak from the days of the travelling shows, real name was Theodore Petrov I think. I'm pretty hairy myself so I swiped his circus name as Theodore Petrov didn't sound quite so cool.
Posted by: RobNus

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 02:25 PM

well my name is rob, and my friend aobh (pronounced "eve", dont ask, its an irish name) started calling me robnus, because it was a derivative of "penus" which obviously is a mispelling of some other word. and that stuck.

usually, its ŽobNus, just to be different, but this site didnt accept it when i registered....

Posted by: onb

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 02:33 PM

onb - an acronym for a nickname I was given in univeristy... O.N.B. = Old 'n' Bitter. We tricked people into thinking I was 32 when I was still only 21 but unfortunately, from that day forward I will always be 32... which sucked when I was young, but as I get older, I figure I'll just stop aging at 32. (funny, when I was 21, 32 souned really old... now, not so much)
Posted by: 40+TKDLee

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 03:39 PM

40+TKDLee breaks down as my age (40+) when I started TKD. The Lee part is a nickname from LeRoy.

Pilsung
Posted by: schanne

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 04:10 PM

Schanne, because it is my last name.
Posted by: tkdkid5282

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 11:26 PM

tkd obviously stands for tae kwon do and the kid part satnds for hoe people think of me when the see me. we werea t publix on day and i was going to be a junior in h/s and the guy at the cash register was tlaking to me liek i was a littel kid. he was like "hi sweetie""are you going into 6th grade this year?" i was like "no,try 11th" so thus exists tkdkid plus some random number
Posted by: rookie

Re: What's in a name? - 10/31/05 11:34 PM

Rookie - I registered on another site when I first started MA. I was, therfore, the Rookie on the board. I have only been studying for about 5 yrs, so Iguess in the grand schee, I am still a rookie.
Posted by: Ket

Re: What's in a name? - 11/01/05 01:16 AM

One of my hobbies, and that which takes time when I'm at home at night drinkin' beer and eating my sandwich, was always writing. First, I tried writing normal modern-day fictional stories, but they bored me to all hades. Then I went over to fantasy (Which, admittedly I don't know much about). The main character in everything I've attempted to write has been one, Ketilron. A theif, a darin'do rogue, a charmer, and quite handsome (Takes after me). Ket was his nickname.

Also, while doing little free-for all matches as a dumb younger man, our "ref" (Using the term loosely) asked us to give a ring handle. I think he was joking. Everyone chose named like "Fists of Lightning!" and "Kill'em Quicker Kicker!" and crap like that. At the time I was asked, the guy I was against had a very shiny red shaved head, and I thought it looked like a kettle boiling over with all the sweat coming down his forehead. Without thinking, I said Ket, when asked my handle. Then, thinking it over, I remembered my character in whatever unfinished written work I have, and repeated the name, Ket. Got weird looks for that, guess it made no sense to anyone but me. Ya, sorry, long story.

Stuck with it ever since. Real names Andrew. Howdy.

-Ket

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 11:51 AM

bump twice

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 12:01 PM

You've gotta be kidding me! I was just about to bump this thread myself because I put it as one of my favorite topics and thought, since we have a lot of new members, it would be cool to know how they got their handles too. Only you beat me to it just as I was reading through it!

Wow...
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 12:08 PM

Uummm, we dont have to use our real names? Geez, now they tell me. I just thought all you other guys/gals parents was from the Beatle's era.

Explain "Bump" for me someone?

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 12:10 PM

Hey Paul,

Well if there's a topic people stop replying to, it gets pushed downwards while newer topics go on top. If you want this particular topic to stay on top for other people to comment on, or whatever, but you have nothing to add you just post "bump" which means you're bumping the topic back to the top of the page.

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 12:11 PM

On occasion, an old thread will be revived by making a post.

'bump' just means 'Hey, I liked this thread, I think it still has some use...wanna post?'

Oh, and I am from the Beatles era:

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~wakoluk/preview.html
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 12:23 PM

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 04:49 PM

Shikata ga nai means "it cannot be helped". It really can't, but that's ok.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: What's in a name? - 05/01/06 11:34 PM

Since most of the techniques of jujutsu and aikido involve "twisting the wrist", it's the only instruction I can remember...

Posted by: jc4199

Re: What's in a name? - 05/02/06 12:29 AM

J = Jason = me
C = Chirstina My loving wife
4199 the day we got married April 1, 1999
Kinda corney but I like it
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: What's in a name? - 05/02/06 12:44 AM

used to be on here as user: kintama

now I use my name.
Ed = Edward = they tell me means 'Guardian'.
Morris = Moors, Moorish = means 'Dark, swarthy'

another tidbit:
Quote:

The term "Morris Dances" is derived from "Moorish Dances." At one time the sensible contribution of the actors playing the "Moors" degenerated into sheer buffoonery, which involved leaping and cavorting around without much order.

that would pretty much be me.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: What's in a name? - 05/02/06 12:54 AM

Diabolic or diabolical is "devilish". Started getting called it in a game I use to play online and it kinda stuck. In real life my old friends call me "juice" because years back I use to get crazy when I drank and they would say...Uh-Oh the Juice is loose!
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: What's in a name? - 05/02/06 04:30 AM

Tim = my name
Black = an alternative to my unspellable surname, Glebocki...

I'm not really very original
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: What's in a name? - 05/02/06 07:57 AM

Goju - the main style i study

Warrior - because of the big kanji symbol i have for it on the back of my neck

1 - Because i numba one!
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: What's in a name? - 05/02/06 12:06 PM

tkd_high_green

tkd - obvious, my chosen method of abusing myself
high_green - my rank when I signed up on here.

Laura
Posted by: Kosh

Re: What's in a name? - 05/02/06 06:28 PM

LOL, while reading this thread I began to wonder where Kintama was, and I thought to myself that Ed Morris reminds me of him. Imagine my surprise when I find out they`re one and the same.

As for my name here, it`s nothing special. My real name Peter is almost always taken as is its short version (Pero in Slovene). I`m not very creative at creating nicknames and at the time when I registered here I was watching a lot of Babylon 5. My favourite character was ambassador Kosh, so I took that name. His qoute is also in my signature.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: What's in a name? - 05/03/06 02:47 AM

Hello Harlan:

[I don't know how "new" you could be exactly having 2,521 posts already however...]

"Ronin" being a historical Japanese term for a professional warrior (ie Samurai) typically a wandering professional soldier without any group affiliation, or more specifically without a specific liegelord/Master.

If I take the title very loosely, simple means I have no "master" and am pleased to be without one. A teacher most definately, a "MASTER".... no too many laden ideas with one of those...

As for 66 is was an excellent year for wine !

Jeff
Posted by: Boomer

Re: What's in a name? - 05/05/06 03:30 AM

I have forever been "Boomer"...only close friends and family know why.....
Posted by: Uchinanchu

Re: What's in a name? - 05/05/06 07:27 AM

My handle comes from the local Okinawan dialect. It means "Okinawan person". I chose it because Okinawa has been my home for quite some time now.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: What's in a name? - 05/05/06 03:24 PM

Dark, swarthy guardian, eh? Not so bad.
My real name translates to "Polite Farmer of the Red Stream".
Posted by: Reiki

Re: What's in a name? - 05/05/06 05:39 PM

I've been coming here longer than I can remember, however I am a Reiki master teacher so it seemed a good idea to have someone on here who knew how to fix all those injuries!

and I was too lazy to find a MA sounding name that wasn't already taken...
Posted by: Ives

Re: What's in a name? - 05/27/06 07:32 AM

Ives! My last name is Ibes, but I once heard it changed during the Spanish occupation of the Netherlands.
Those Spanish never seem to get the V like a V out of there mouth. It's always a B. But I like the V.
Ives comes from Britain I believe.
So much for history.
Posted by: Tezza

Re: What's in a name? - 05/27/06 12:29 PM

Everyones all got these call names and mines just basically my nickname:

'Tezza'

My real name being Terrence, yet over the years people have called me Tez, which eventually turned into Tezza.
So theres nothing to it really, not like some of your fancy names.
Posted by: Crash

Re: What's in a name? - 05/27/06 01:28 PM

"Crash" I have another nickname (Moesy) but I like more tough scrappy nicknames like Crash, Spike etc. Or any of the guys names from the movie "The Warriors" (Ajax, snow, Rembrant, Cleon, Vermin, Swan, cowboy etc)
Posted by: ChronicGMV

Re: What's in a name? - 05/27/06 01:46 PM

I just have this thing with time...

Re: What's in a name? - 09/20/06 10:14 AM

bump for the newbies on board

(Hey...I gotta know...why 'crablord'? )
Posted by: clmibb

Re: What's in a name? - 09/20/06 11:06 AM

Well mine's not creative at all. It's just my first initial, middle initial and my last name.
Posted by: Kysogkram

Re: What's in a name? - 09/21/06 03:57 AM

Well, here goes. It's really very silly.

Basically kysogkram is a Danish expression me and my friends use. We're always goofing off, arguing about stuff and giving each other a bit of a hard time (just for fun, in a friendly way ofc).

Kysogkram means: kys = kisses, og = and, kram = hugs... kisses and hugs.

So this is basically used in the gayest fashion possible (how un-pc of me), if someone calls you an [censored], you'd just reply with "kys og kram!".

Gah, doesn't make much sense, guess you should've been there to get it
Posted by: Journey

Re: What's in a name? - 09/21/06 09:02 AM

Very cool - thanks for topping this back up for us new folks. My name is based on this belief / saying / quote - whatever it is... Life is not a JOURNEY to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: What's in a name? - 09/21/06 08:04 PM

Im not sure about any historical significance of my name but I do know that there is some theatrical significance in that the name Chen Zen was used by Bruce Lee, Jet Li and Jackie Chan in one of there respective movies. If it holds any other significance than I am unaware of it but there you have it nonetheless.
Posted by: exceptionist 2

Re: What's in a name? - 09/21/06 09:59 PM

funny, I thought I posted here already.....

exceptionist2- suffix being exception, or anomaly, both relative to the intent.

exceptionist- personalized modification to indicate my deliberate/non-deliberate anomalous nature. Also a coincidental similiarity to Neo "Matrix", because "exceptions" are also error conditions that change the normal flow of control in program coding.

exceptionist2: can be a statement, such as my first signature on this site which was "exception 2 rules", which states two separate "but true" sentence fragments:
1. I truly do in fact rule.
2. I am an exception to rules.

exceptionist 2 is currently the format because my fighting concepts and philosophy are very unrestricted by tradition and style, but more more influenced by theory and application....which in debate makes my beliefs "exceptions" to the rules that restrict others who oppose my theory because of unquestioning dedication to tradition.

I may have just went way too deep with that huh? First Place prizes are handed out where again?
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: What's in a name? - 09/22/06 02:33 AM

Then again others would call your training JKD.
Posted by: Marishiten

Re: What's in a name? - 09/22/06 03:39 AM

Oki doki, Marishiten is the name of a Buddhist warrior goddess. I picked the name because I like it, no other reason. Well, I guess the meaning did influence my choice, because if it meant something like BOULDER I wouldn't have chosen it.