Oldman at Borders.

Posted by: oldman

Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 03:54 PM

Members,
I've just gotten back from Borders where I treated myself to a browse and a pricey cup of coffee, and I have a question for you or may be a series of questions. I find that often just the act of writing or talking things out helps me come to a better understanding of what I'm thinking. I'm a self described ponderer. So much so that just thinking about doing something can be as satisfying as actually doing it.
As there are 24 hours in everyones day we have to decide how to spend our time. Work, play, eat, sleep, relate, serve, we all decide how we will divide up our days and what we would like to accomplish. So here's my question.

I have had a few people urge me to consider writing a book. The whole idea to me sounds a bit, well, crazy. The only way I got through English in school was by getting extra credit points by adding illustrations to any report to distract my teachers from my grammatical errors and lack of content.
My wife has been published and I have seen first hand what goes in to even a small book. People say to her "It must be really fun to be a writer". My wife says to me later " They must have never written anything". I can see it would be a difficult task. I have illustrated books but never wourds and text together. It would be a challenge and could be kind of a cool project similar to the appilcation and bunkai threads I have shared with you. I also have a cd collection of all the martial arts cartoons. The cartoons are easy. A bunkai collection would be like climbing Everest. I mean people do it but why,"because it's there?" So I guess the question would be "Why". I don't really need any additional income which would most likley be modest anyway. I've got more than enough headaches and things to do to keep myself busy. So, help a brother out...."Why".

One the other hand it could be cool to see someone at Borders sitting at a table enjoying a latte a their brand new copy of "The Boobishi" by Oldman.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 04:44 PM

I think that with a bunkai book out there done with cartoons it will appeal to the younger generations more. If a student at the local McDojo sees this book and asks their instructor, "Why don't we practice bunkai, like in here?" and then the instructor says "we don't do that," the kid may have second thoughts about staying at their McDojo and seeking out a real school that teaches these things.

Now I know that teaching bunkai (including locks and throws) to children is sometimes debated as appropriate or not. But if they at least have this in mind for their future learning in a school, I think that they would be more prone to stay and learn.
-That is, for kids who really want to learn the MA, if not they can stay in their McDojos.

Do it for the kids, oldman, think of the kids!!

Plus, it'd be really cool, I know I'd buy a few copies!!!

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 05:20 PM

Joel,
I do have concerns about the kids and quite honestly the adults. Maybe it's just best to let people figure things out themselves. On the other hand there are so many more efficient ways to harm someone. Maybe I could start the first chapter with how to hit people with a baseball bat. After that everything would seem responsible and sensible by comparison and too much work to bother with.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 05:47 PM

Oldman, you like a project (hoodat, bunk-ai etc) and i think this book idea is itching the back of your brain, you mentioned it in the bunk-ai thread, and now have started a thread on it.
I think you may be asking 'why?', but I say 'why not?'.
Dont know if you are familiar with the graphic novels in 'The Sandman' series by Neil Gaiman, but in the world of Dreams there is a library full of the unwritten books left unrealised by everyone.This always struck me as sad. I think if you have the ability (which you do) and the inclination(?), it could be a great source of joy and satisfaction. Also, as you point out, financial factors are not a concern so you dont have to work to a deadline, little and often. What was your point about saving a dollar a day?(sticky bun financial advice) 1 page a day and in 3 years you got a nice big hardback.
Posted by: Hedgehogey

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 07:15 PM

Quote:

I think that with a bunkai book out there done with cartoons it will appeal to the younger generations more. If a student at the local McDojo sees this book and asks their instructor, "Why don't we practice bunkai, like in here?" and then the instructor says "we don't do that," the kid may have second thoughts about staying at their McDojo and seeking out a real school that teaches these things.

Since Dr. Jung has told me that I can either take the role of the shadow or find a new job, I am forced to remind everyone that:

It is entirely possible...

...for a school to do bunkai...

...and still teach...

...bullshido.

[edited]
Hedgehogey, if you can somehow prove to me, in private (ie. not on the forum) how the rest of your post was even remotely relevant to the discussion, then I may let you re-post it.
Otherwise, stay on topic.
-Joel
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 07:29 PM

Do it, Oldman. Do it for me. I have a small collection of technically oreinted articles that I envisioned submitting to Black Belt magazine, but for one reason or another they manage to stay just this side of complete.

So if I am doomed to stay in the twilight of half-acheived dreams, at least you can follow through.

Cord also has a very good point in that the "graphic novel" is a well accepted form nowadays, so you need not aim it towards children unless you are so inclined. (This from a long time comic book reader who remembers when "Michael" killed almost all the Avengers! )

I think it would be great, and don't worry about people not using their imaginations. Many won't anyway. Some people will find a spark in the things you might show. I am one of them. Hell, the whole concept of different applications for kata moves is alien to my AKK sensibilities.

So right there the book could be beneficial to some - no matter what you show.

Go ahead.....do it. You have several guaranteed sales, anyway!
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 07:54 PM

oldman, I am inspired by many of your posts.I think an entire book would be awesome. Do it! Do it for us,but mostly do it for you!
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 08:01 PM

If someone's book is going to end up being read by people, and if those people gain something from reading it then I think it is your obligation to write it. It would be a travesty for knowledge not to be passed on.

Did you know that we, in the year 2005, have the same mental capacity as cavemen had?
This means, that the only difference between us and the cave men is our ability to store knowledge. Not only store it but transfer it and communicate it from generation to generation. I think it would be a crying shame if someone such as yourself, who obviously has something to contribute (otherwise it would not have been suggested to you and all the replies you are getting would have come to be), does not add to the pool of knowledge that differentiates us from animals.

This may seem a bit idealistic and pretentious, but I truly believe in the notion that knowledge is for sharing, and above anything else rewarding!

If you need more reasons, then tell me and I will list them alphabetically!

Its meant to be!

Posted by: yamig

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 08:10 PM

Do it. You know you wanna.

Seriously, if you have knowledge you want to share, I think it would be a waste not to.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 10:15 PM

The decision to write something is easy...the answer is yes, absolutely do it.
The decision to publish it is a much more serious commitment.
If you can write something that you think you will still be proud of in 25 years...publish it.

I have no doubt you have the ability to do both. Put me in for a pre-order.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/11/05 10:20 PM

Hedge,
once again you state the obvious as though it was a hard won insight. I will say thanks though I finally realized that the only reason I'm involved in the arts at all is to take advantage of the gullible and make a fast buck. Oh and I forgot, I also want people to have a false sense of security and foster their illusions. I'm so ashamed.
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 12:22 AM

Oldman, as I would tell you no differently publicly than privately here goes. Since you already have some insight into getting published and no illussions about getting rich if you are successful what's left?

Like you, I have a bookcase full of MA books. They range greatly in both content and quality. Some are techniqcal, some are philosophical - some a bit of both. I have read everyone. Several did not live up to the promise conveyed on the bookcover and were disappointing.

Of all that seemed to interest me enough to make it to my bookcase, only a few are reserved for the "top shelf". These are dog eared, highlighted and read many times over. They are treasures. The final leg of my martial arts journey is to put them all in a box and lug them down to the basement or give them all to someone who seems deserving of such a great gift.

You asked us all "why" should you go through the trouble? There is my answer. Not one of the authors of the books in my bookcase (not just those on the top shelf) could possibly have imagined how much they might have influenced my training, my own humble understanding of the martial arts or my life - one way or another.

If you believe that you, in your own way , can offer an insight or shine a light on someone's else's path to help them find their way - just do it. The truth is, is that when that happens you will never know it. However, like me and my dog eared treasures, they will be profoundly grateful for your efforts.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 12:27 AM

Oldman, you have the ability and the knowledge. You have a gift for communicating with people visually.
Do you have a love for the martial arts?
Do you want to share any of the above with others?
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 12:41 AM

Why bother with words? A picture is worth a 1000 words. In your case, it would be priceless!

I can just see it... a Dilbertesque compilation of The Daily Oldman, replete with Oldman's inimitable wisdom, liberally peppered with loquacious verbosity, haikus and Zen quips.

Can I put a preorder in for a dozen signed copies?
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 12:55 AM

The unanimous response so far is tribute to the talents you possess that we wished we possessed. I know how difficult it is to get published (I'm not); writing & re-writing & re-writing again, "them" messing w/ your "baby", etc.

One thing keeps coming back re: showing bunkai to irresponsible people/kids... It's worthless unless you practice the skill over & over. A person trying to apply techniques they learned from a book or video gets bored & discouraged very quickly. It's the interaction in a good school that brings MA alive.

Also, think IKEA... Your work could easily go international. It transcends the written/spoken word.

Just my $1.50 (inflation)
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 02:58 AM

Go for it.

You won't know whether it was all worth it until you finish anyway so I think the question is not "why?", the question is "why not?".

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Posted by: Bossman

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 04:25 AM

Oldman - I understand your quandry. I have written continuously in martial art mags for well over 20 years in the UK, have worked on joint books and have a developed a training system that 2 publishers want to publish and make dvd's of BUT... I feel that whatever I publish about my system will make it smaller, I teach all over europe and everyone wants a book and dvd. All the younger guys are out there on the 'seminar circuit' with a book and dvd and I don't want to be a part of that either. I feel that 'keys' or 'pinciples' can be written on an A4 sheet of paper - it's the personal instruction and discovery that really counts and I've passed that on over 35 years to a handful of students and therefore done my job. I feel that a book and dvd's will make it less and therefore be doing a disservice.

A book of Oldman cartoons and humour would be great.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 09:36 AM

To an oldman, from another old man...

Creating the cartoon characters in itself may be the answer to your question. The ideas and the characters spring from your mind. They are your creations, and like all artists, your create because it is your nature to do so.

In my culture, not to live your vision, is to live death. Everyone in their life has an epiphany where their true meaning in life is reveiled to them, whether they chose to live it is their choice. The world is either richer or poorer for their decision.

As the elders in our cultures, we also have an obligation to pass on what wisdom we have aquired in our lives to the younger generations, your medium for this is your art.

I would humbly submit that you search your heart to discover the true meaning of your art. Is it only for you, or is it ment to be shared with others regardless of the financial gain..or lack thereof?

Neither I nor anyone else here can answer your question my friend, only your can.

I happen to think the world would be richer for sharing your art.

RG
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 02:50 PM

Oldman I can't talk you into anything (do it, do it, do it) but I would really like for you to do this book. Your wife could help you write it if you had any problems. I think that your book would be a great teaching aid for students of all ages. I know I would buy a copy and tell everyone one I know to buy one. The best thing I could hope for is if you came out with a series of them. But, please if you don't come out with a book maybe you could start a website where we could download kata drawn by you.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 02:56 PM

Well, I would buy a copy. But I would buy anything put out by any of the 'fighting farts' here. Especially if it included a hairy harlan with nunchuks.

Seriously, I like the humor. Sometimes I find it a little crass, or lowbrow, but like a pinch from an old aunt...it loosens me up.

Suggestion: skip hard-copy and book store distribution. Target your audience..sell it as an e-book, right here at fightingarts.com, and use PayPal.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 06:48 PM

Harlan,
I like the way you think. I can't decide which word is most fitting crass, or lowbrow. Bo-ken I have had friends offer to put a site together. I guess we'll see where this all goes. Thank everybody for the input, I appreciate it.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 08:29 PM

Don't do it. I'm only saying this 'cuz I gotta, and I'd rather not explain why *wince*.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 08:51 PM

FG,
Even privately?
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/12/05 09:30 PM

Didn't even think of it. Check your PMs for my own little "novel" .
Posted by: cxt

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/13/05 05:09 PM

Oldman

You could always give it a try on a small scale using pre-orders.

Give folks an idea as to what, how long/pages, content, the specifc bunkai etc.
Give us a price.
Take orders and do a small "desktop" run for the folks whom paid up-front.

You should be able to keep the price point, pretty low--just time and whatever supplies you need to print off the copies you need.
And kinko's is not that expensive--just make the reproduction part of the cost.

Mainly the largest expense will be time and the first art--after you have that its just a matter of hitting "print" on you computer.

Format and binding of course are another subject.

You also might float the idea past the guys that run the site.
I noticed on the opening page that they do publishing now.

I will buy a copy sight unseen, I would think that other might as well.

As a matter of fact, you have ALREADY POSTED SOME OF THEM--so folks can already see what you are doing--might be able to post some of the pages on-line in read only format to give others a better look.

I think you should look further into it.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/13/05 09:03 PM

cxt,
Thanks for the ideas. One good thing is not having to hire an illustrator, designer or photographer. doing the drawings has been fun. I have to admit I'm in that (having a hard time falling asleep) period of possiblities. There are lots format possibilities.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/14/05 11:41 AM

Oldman,

Do it because you would enjoy it...and do it so you won't say what if. If nothing else, you tried.

-B

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/14/05 12:10 PM

B-,
It's funny you should say that. I PMed Foolsgold the other day with some similar thoughts. I'm far from being a hedonist but as I have gotten older I find that I'm doing more and more things simply because they bring me pleasure. I'm also getting better at saying no to things I would prefer not to do. One of the joys and jobs of midlife I guess.
Posted by: spectrum

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/14/05 02:49 PM

Oldman,

You should not worry about your proficiency in the rules of the English language. These rules can be learned. What cannot be learned or taught or duplicated is VOICE -- you have oodles of Voice. BTW I think you have decent content as well!

I can answer your “why” question.
Unlike mountain climbing, great things are created because they are not there! If the idea bugs you enough, you will do this project despite whatever good reasons there are not to.

The real hard part is getting your book published and placed in Borders bookstore.

Specialty publishers, Self-publishing, Web publishing, New York Publishers will be more confusing than any bunki. (See writers.net for a good source of info)

Sure you could self publish but I think you would be selling yourself and lots of potential readers short. (You did say Borders)

I keep expecting to see your stuff in MA magazines.

Have you published your MA comics any ware other then here? If you were looking to impress an agent or publisher and at the same time create buzz for the book you should.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 06/14/05 03:11 PM

Spectrum,
Very interesting " Because it's not there". My wife's foray into publishing as a business has been very interesting. It is business pure and simple. Publishing or being published is about making profit. Publishers are motivated by the same thing other businesses are. I had thought more about self publishing than seeking a publisher. Distribution is a whole other story isn't it. I think for now this is what I will do. I will set a goal to do one illustraited application each day. Primarily for my pleasure and increasing my own understanding. As simple as the drawings are it is a challenge to accurately use anatomy and gesture to covey the techniques. This will allow me to create an archive or collection of work that could be self published or shopped around to publishers. I'd like to thank you all for taking time to share your thoughts. It has benefitted me very much.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 09/28/05 10:23 AM

Bump! Oldman, since you elected not to lock this thread I guess it is okay to ask: how is the project going?

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 09/28/05 11:51 AM

Good job Harlan.

So what's up with this little project anyway Oldman?

PS: I don't think you never told us what you named your dojo @ home either - so cough it up buddy.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 09/28/05 12:13 PM

It goes as slowly as a 80 year old man with an enlarged prostate. The most recent drawings are in the Kata and app thread. It is nice of you to ask though. I did do another project. "Oldmans Greatest Hits" 155 cartoons from my first year at Fightingarts.com. It's on cd. So far it it has only been test driven by Butterfly. I am trying to eliminate some obligations from my schedual to make space for drawing time.

Kidohae
I'll tell you what I've been calling it after I check the name for accuracy.

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 09/28/05 12:16 PM

See? Don't ask...don't get!

Hopefully I'll get to see all the good stuff that went on before I joined (and that others wail about losing in the upgrade).

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 09/28/05 06:37 PM

**patiently drums fingertips on computer desk**

Looking forward to it.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Oldman at Borders. - 09/28/05 08:32 PM

Quote:

"because it's there"...
One the other hand it could be cool to see someone at Borders sitting at a table enjoying a latte a their brand new copy of "The Boobishi" by Oldman.

Need I say more?

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 06:10 PM

Folks,
I saw this thread ended up on Harlans favorites. So I thought I would give an update.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The manuscript is done for the most part. When I say manuscript I should add that with small exceptions there is no text. The book will count on illustration, the language of line to convey the information.

There always seems to be something I want to change or add to it. One of these days I will just have to send it on. A Judo teacher/author friend, Steve Scott has been kind enough to share some of his experience with me.

He has both self published and more recently been published by turtle press. I met with the printer of his first few books today. I found out coincidently today that the company also prints the books for Black Belt magazine's publishers. I believe I will be using them for my project.

I am learning alot through the process and hope to get moving on the printing soon. I have not talked about it much because I feel it would become a conflict as a member/mod here.

I have been in contact with F.A. about advertising and hope to work those issues out soon as well.

I have decided to layout the book as a workbook/manual. Each set of illustations will have opposite of it a ruled page for readers to make notes of their own. It will be spiral bound so it can be laid out flat. I am going to use it as a training aid this evening with my guys.

I have to get my distribution ducks in a row regarding payments and shipping so when it is printed I will be good to go.

So, the adventure continues.

In the not to distant future we will have an answer to the question,

Will people purchase a book without text, on an obscure east asian topic, by a cartoonist in Kansas.

The next time you hear about it will hopefully be when it is avertised on the site.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 06:16 PM

Id buy it!

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 06:30 PM

Oldman

I most certainly would buy several copies.

Pre-ordered if needed.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 08:06 PM

Oldman,

As the proud owner of one of your original pieces of work (gifted to me via one of your infamous F.A.com contests), I need to say "sign me up for one copy, please!"

Mike

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 09:04 PM

Ditto! (PS...can we have another contest? I want to win the 'babaloooi' one. )

Quote:

Oldman,

As the proud owner of one of your original pieces of work (gifted to me via one of your infamous F.A.com contests), I need to say "sign me up for one copy, please!"

Mike

Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 10:00 PM

As a designer I have found that less can be more. Words or no words if I learn something and enjoy it then its worth my money. Are you going to sell signed copies?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 10:22 PM

I believe I reserved a copy months ago!!

Can't wait!

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/07/07 10:40 PM

Bo,
How about original, signed cartoon in each one?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/08/07 01:03 AM

I've always been behind you Mark and also believe I've reserved a copy. You have my continued support.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/08/07 01:29 AM

Oldman, can't wait get my hands on a copy! I'll start looking for the book at Barnes & Noble within a year or so! Glad to hear you made the plunge!

Casey
Posted by: steelwater

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/08/07 12:38 PM

Oldman: Don't know if you considered this and you probably already know about it, but apparently www.lulu.com (I'm not associated with it) is a great place to self-publish. My friend is writing a comedy/commentary styled book and is going through them. Apparently for awhile now, they are offering the ability to purchase an ISBN number and they handle the distribution to Amazon.Com, Barnes & Nobles, Borders, and any book store that buys their books from the massive wholesaler, Ingrams. I've signed up for an account for test purposes, and it seems a bit easy. Make a .pdf of the book, upload cover art and you're good to go!

Good luck and can't wait to get a look at the book.

EDIT: By the way, it's completely free. Lulu takes a commission out of the sale price that's actually not too bad.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/08/07 03:37 PM

Oldman,

Have you ever seen a book called "Kung Fu for Girls"?
http://www.quirkbooks.com/Book.aspx?BID=157
This is most likely WAY different than what you are going for, but I reccommend it as something to look at. It is a selection of situations and techniques that apply specifically to the young urban female, and is told through some great illustrations. It gives very basic SD instructions, usually glaringly obvious, such as what to do if a strange man on the train sits down next to you and grabs your thigh (grab the offending hand and bust him in the jaw) etc.
Like I said, I'm sure the content is much different than what you're working on, but the format is there and I honestly think it's much more effective, comprehensive and attractive than a complicated MA book.
Maybe give it a look if you get the chance.

And I'll def read your book when it comes out
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/08/07 03:40 PM

Quote:

Oldman: Don't know if you considered this and you probably already know about it, but apparently www.lulu.com (I'm not associated with it) is a great place to self-publish. My friend is writing a comedy/commentary styled book and is going through them. Apparently for awhile now, they are offering the ability to purchase an ISBN number and they handle the distribution to Amazon.Com, Barnes & Nobles, Borders, and any book store that buys their books from the massive wholesaler, Ingrams. I've signed up for an account for test purposes, and it seems a bit easy. Make a .pdf of the book, upload cover art and you're good to go!

Good luck and can't wait to get a look at the book.

EDIT: By the way, it's completely free. Lulu takes a commission out of the sale price that's actually not too bad.

Thats pretty cool. FightingArts also does some publishing. Id like to have the time to write. I wish you the Best of luck Mark, and look forward to seeing the final draft.

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 02/09/07 11:42 AM

Bump.

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 09/21/12 09:19 AM

I hope this post will bring this thread full circle and hopefully inspire others to pursue their personal goals. My book "Oldman's Bubishi: An Introduction to Bunkai From Karate's Kata." is complete and in print.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 09/21/12 10:41 AM

Sounds interesting

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 09/23/12 02:51 AM

oldman

Excellent!

Whom is carrying it/where might I purchase I copy?
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 09/27/12 11:52 PM

I had no idea that this was published. I'm buying a copy as soon as I can. smile

Re: Oldman at Borders. An Update - 11/05/12 04:10 PM

Mr. Caile has recently posted a review. The review cant be found on THIS site. smile

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=715