How do non-profit dojos attract members?

Posted by: Foolsgold

How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/08/05 05:40 PM

I'm speaking specifically about schools that don't charge at all, as opposed to schools that charge to cover rent/equipment/etc. Do these schools show up in the yellow pages? I doubt that they advertise much

How many people here attend or run schools without dues, and how would a person find said school?

Per usual, I'm just curious.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/08/05 08:54 PM

I'm surprized no one has answered this thread yet

The quick and easy answer is, I don't 100% know. But not knowing for sure doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

I have to generalize to answer...
First, it's usually individuals not 'schools' who teach for no money. minimum-profit schools charging operating costs are all over, some advertise, some only have a website, many just have a sign outside. word of mouth gets you to the teachers who teach privately. many have their own policies -a typical one being, if you don't like their policy, then leave. lol Most private teachers don't accept kids (less than 17). some have a pre-shodan requirement. (ie won't teach beginners). some only teach weapons, some never.

specific case:
The current school I'm at is a first I've seen that is operated by 2 equal skilled sensei which work full time elsewhere and alternate teaching...it's a great setup and allows them to have the dojo open every day of the week. The rates per month (not per class), no contract policy, and giving keys at green belt level tells me it is non-profit and as enjoyment. very practicle solution, but most teachers are so independant on how to run things, that the differences would end up as arguement. They allow each other to teach as individuls, while keeping to the style's framework and spirit. Their personality and easy going way are the main reason for attracting and keeping members. word of mouth gets them about 1 new student every 3-6 months or so. with a total class size of about 25... and an average class size on any particular night of about 10.

There are Sensei that can give more solid reasoning without guess or generalizing like I have...also ther are some members here that have done quite a bit of homework to find what they were looking for. hope they answer your thread
Posted by: guitarguy420

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/08/05 09:16 PM

Well when i lived in Arizona the person that taught me taekwondo didnt teach in a school he taught by himself for free in a church.It was a big church though so you wouldnt bother the other people.The only thing i could say is ask your parents if they know anybody or if there friends know anyone.Thats how i got into tkd for a while.
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/08/05 09:49 PM

Quote:

I'm speaking specifically about schools that don't charge at all, as opposed to schools that charge to cover rent/equipment/etc. Do these schools show up in the yellow pages? I doubt that they advertise much

How many people here attend or run schools without dues, and how would a person find said school?

Per usual, I'm just curious.

I'm proud to say I've been associated with such a school for several years.

The web site is self-explanatory. (for what it's worth I wrote most of the verbiage that is on the site several years ago - though it originally appeared in newsletters, pamphlets, etc.)

In a nut shell, everyone assocaited with running the school is a volunteer. Classes are "free" as you cannot pay for them with money. Every student must complete verfiable community service in exchnage for the instruction they receive. This results in a few thousand hours of comunity service each year. There is no overhead as the local school provides free use of a gym 2 nights a week. There are a few modest fund raising events to cover insurance costs. On occassion the dojo has also recieved some grant funding (I wrote a few grant proposals myself). It is a very admirable undertaking. If that isn't enough the instruction is quite good.

Check out the "Service" and "About us" sections.

Try this:

http://www.flanaganj.com/teryudojo/te_ryu_dojo_home.php

(best I can do)
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/08/05 10:50 PM

One thing to remember is that non-profit does not necessarily mean that practioners don't pay dues.

I currently teach in my own dojo completely free of any money exchange. I foot any bill that incurs.

I am looking to start a large dojo with a group. This will also be non-profit, however there will be student costs.

Non-profit simply means that after the expenses are paid, there is no money left over.

We as owners will take no money. However there is still a light bill, H2o,trash pick up, paying a secretary,phone bills,advertising,etc.

Once all the bills are paid any residual(doubtful) either goes directly into improvement,add on service or some type of charitable contribution.

So you can see that a dojo can be non-profit and still charge fees. The difference is no individual is making the extra money.

Page
Posted by: Kintama

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/08/05 11:22 PM

correct BuDoc, thats how I think of it too. I have to remember to be clear about that.
I like round number examples:
A dojo with op costs (rent&utils) of $1000 per month, with a reasonable per student rate of $50/mo, needs 20 students to operate at cost.

p.s. (a dig to another thread) It's not like teachers need a whole software package to figure that out.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/09/05 12:08 AM

Our school doesn't charge,but it's geared towards adults and is physically demanding.Alot of full contact etc...
We've never had to advertise,word of mouth seems to work pretty good.
How would someone find it? I really don't know,you'd just have to know someone in the school.
Posted by: QuietGal

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/09/05 11:44 AM

Our school is non-profit, but yes, we pay dues ($55 for adults per month). The money colleted helps to play the rent/water/electricty. Most of the people there joined because of family ties, church ties, or they were in another school or art together at some point. A few (including me) just somehow wandered in. Word of mouth seems to bring people in.
Posted by: Pess

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/09/05 11:59 AM

I just sort of found my school. It is for profit, but not much. On Saturday, there are two classes, 12 dollars each. Thankfully, we don't have to pay for rent, water or electricity. We have class in a parking lot ^_^
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/09/05 01:25 PM

How do non-profit dojo's attract members? Mostly through word of mouth. Assuming the school want's to attract members.

Teaching for free at the Boys and Girls Club for 26 years, and keeping to an older small group tradition, I only allow 25 members in the youth program, and unless class size dwindles don't take non new students. For the past 10 or so years we average taking on new students once a year. In fact I took on 9 new kids last September and they're all still with us.

The adult program (21 yrs old now) is even smaller. Havn't had a new member for 6 years, everyone's been training 15+ years. Not looking for or discouraging anyone, just almost nobody knows we exist. Almost all the adult members came from parents who were interested, or a few outside dan's looking for the training we offer.

Again keeping to older standards, we normally have 2 or 3 instructors on the floor covering 50 to 70 years experience in the arts.

Non-profit schools I've seen drawn members from 1) location such as being held in a church basement 2) word of mouth, friends telling friends.

Non-profit schools must still be fiscially prudent. The owner should not be paying for the training of others. In my case the program sustains itself by association.
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/09/05 06:59 PM

Vicotr, the dojo I indicated above seems to operate the same way as you described - with about the same demographics. As we train in the school there is a steady stream of kids. Most of the adults begin training because their kids are doing it. In many cases the adults continue after their child has lost interest or moves on to something else. The dojo also does press relases to a few local papers at registration time and will occassionally publisize other events, which are usually printed. All in all it is fairly well known in the community so there is no real need to pay for any type of advertising.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: How do non-profit dojos attract members? - 06/09/05 07:44 PM

Doesn't this word-of-mouth/associational approach seem...well, elitist? How about the people who don't know a thing about the martial arts before they start? I was one of those people, and frankly it was too embarassing to ask around about. So I rented a couple books out from the library to get me started, and I ended up all right. However, I can easily see how people end up in McDojos.

Maybe McDojos thrive on people like me, with no friends, relatives, or any inspirational figures in their lives who trained. Something else to think about, I suppose.

Meanwhile, I have a test....now. Bye!