running or swimming ?

Posted by: cobra

running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 01:57 PM

which would you concider to be better at burning fat, the fastes, or more effectively? and what about swimming and biking instead of running. thanks for all replys...( i just can't stand running so i'm trying my best to find an alternative way of loosing extra fat that's covering my stomach. if you have any other suggestions on something i could do besides swimming or so feel free to mention it too) agian thanks for all reply's
Posted by: Dereck

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:00 PM

Running by far is the best. Skipping rope is also very good and you don't have to go any where to do it.

From my own experience I've found swimming tiring but I did not find as effective at burning fat as running/skipping. As for biking, this is good but you have to do it intensley. Stick it in a gear that is hard and you have to work hard like going up hills. Something that makes you sweat.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:01 PM

I would say swimming, because you actually use your entire body. But that is an entirely uneducated guess.
Posted by: schanne

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:04 PM

Running, especially during the summer when it's hot.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:06 PM

I'd say swimming, because of the resistance.

plus I'm biased since the summer is comming up... I hate running/biking in the summer. If you live in a true 4 season climate: running is for winter, biking is for spring and fall, and swimming is for summer.

I see 40 yearold runners doing their thing in 98 degree temps...I wave to them on my way to the lake as I go by in my ac'd car sipping on some ice tea.
Posted by: Prometej

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:08 PM

Uneducated guess or not it`s true. And another good thing about swimming is that there`s apsolutely no chance of injury if you know how to swimm.
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:10 PM

I agree with dereck. Skipping rope is my personal favorite, plus it fits nicely into interval training, which is a great way of burning fat. I also use a stationary bike, with magnetic resistance so that I can simulate riding on smooth pavement, hilly terain, or contant uphill!

Now swimming isn't bad, but I would balance it between swimming, bike riding, and skipping rope if I were you. It is rather easy to become bored doing the same thing over and over, so its ok to mix it up. Maybe jog once a week, swim a couple times a week and skip rope or ride a bike a couple times a week.

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:14 PM

And another thing, it`s good for rehabilitation for pulled muscles,twisted ankles...
It would be good for a day off or relaxing your muscles.
Posted by: Crash

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:20 PM

swimming is high impact cardio and low impact on your joints.
I know a girl who was training for a kickboxing competition and hurt her ankle a few months before the competition so she did lots of swimming untill it healed cause it was the only cardio exercise her ankle could handle. but remember you have to SWIM not just splash around and cool off. and of course have a swim buddy or have a lifeguard present ether way, NEVER SWIM ALONE! good luck!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:22 PM

I hate running. I will swim, ride my bike, spar, jump rope or hit the bag.

Anything but run.

Run is a four-letter word to me.

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:27 PM

If gonna swim go through all styles so that you for sure work with all of your muscles.
When swimming,relax, breath properly and do the movements all the way- don`t cut them in the middle. I guess you`re all good swimmers but i see a lot of people who torture themselves with bad technique,waving their head like crazy and almost drown when they become dizzy and cramp gets them.
If you can choose swim in the sea because it`ll be easier from the salt that will keep you on the surface.
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 02:34 PM

why do so many posters HATE running? becuz it is HARD. thus it follows that it is the best for cardio and burning calories. it not only burns calories tho...it makes ur back strong, it makes ur legs strong, it makes ur joints strong....it makes ur lungs strong; becuz it is HARD....

i hated running for the first 4-6 months i did it. then, it got easier, or i got used to it and my body adapted. the hardest thing i had to deal with was the feeling i was out of breath while i was running. i HATED it. but, now i run easier then i did and i am stronger all over.

i dont blame anyone for swimming, or other cardio exercize; i have not 1, but 2 jobs that require i stay in as good as shape as possible.

maybe the best thing to do would be to do a different cardio exercize every day...

good luck, no matter what u do;
Kel
Posted by: Short_Stack

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 03:32 PM

Wrestling is by far the best but i would say going full out ummm swimming. but i like jump ropeing alot. if you want something really good go to a pretty steep him and sprint up it that will burn some fat

hope this helps
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 03:40 PM

Quote:

another good thing about swimming is that there`s apsolutely no chance of injury if you know how to swimm.

No chance of injury?
Huh, that's funny-I tore my rotator cuff training butterfly for Regionals back in high school.

Torn rotator cuff doesn't qualify for an injury?
Posted by: Cord

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 05:21 PM

Swimming:
Pros : Low impact (joint friendly), balanced (all major muscle groups involved), improves functional range of movement.

Cons : Skill dependant (bad technique= injuries), difficult to guage exertion (no way of assessing natural breathing rate and perspiration), additional cost (use of pool, swimwear, goggles), can become monotonous (lap after lap after lap....)

Running

Pros : Free to all (yay). High impact (promotes bone density). Elavates heart rate quickly, easy to adapt to correct pace. Minimal equipment outlay (proper footwear), easy to do.

Cons: High impact (can degenarate existing injuries/joint weaknesses quickly). Many over exert themselves, without a good stretching regime, can tighten your hams/calves to piano wire proportions.

Overall, I would do a mix of both, alternating high and low impact cardio days. When swimming, incorporate a float board and work on breast stroke kick sprints to strengthen add and abductors (this will translate into a sport specific improvement in your side kicks).

Dont forget that you can get special floatation belts that allow you to 'run' in water (if your pool is deep enough)- now that is a hardcore workout!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 06:15 PM

Here's something hardcore for you. A couple of months ago our three schools rented a pool and taught class for an hour in it. Each person was dressed in full uniform and had to train different skill in different depths of water. Afterwards the pool was theirs for pleasure.

Either I missed the day they were doing this or I opted out because I knew it would be hard work. When talking to people they said it was the most intense thing they have every done and were exhausted afterwards. A wet uniform felt like an extra 100 lbs on their backs ... not to mention the slower movements of the skills.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/01/05 06:18 PM

2 added advantages -

running has an added advantage that you really feel it if you put on even a kilo or so of extra weight. if you run 2-4 times a week, and you put on weight, you will know right away and as long as you keep running, you will be able to control it.

swimming has an added advantage that it doesn't hard your lower body joints like running. I used to run like an animal when I was in my teens and twenties, and my knees and ankles are f***ed up because of it.
Posted by: Belnick

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/02/05 03:03 AM

umm, walking burn more fat than running, but you get alot better stamina from running

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/02/05 01:35 PM

Then lets run in shallow water and get it all
Posted by: Carbone

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/02/05 03:53 PM

You may hate running.... but it's the most natural thing you can do.

You may not run far, or hate runnign because you get tired cause of a bad diet. More fruits & water into your diet, less meats might help, helped me.

Good luck, but swimming is more tiring & closer to a workout than burning fat. Bike riding is okay but you'll find yourself getting lazy & riding easy at times.

Run my son.... run
Posted by: Derekwl

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/02/05 05:24 PM

Both Work, I tend to do both.

I swim normally 4 times a week, and train Muay Thai 4 times a week, and run once or twice. I would reccommend doing both definitely. Reason being is that many people dont use their legs when they swim, they rely on their upper body, if they are swimming long distances. Now, on the other hand, do some 100 or 200 meter sprints a couple times in a workout, and wow you will feel like you just ran a marathon.

Good luck! I hope you find something that keeps you in shape and interests you!
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/02/05 05:33 PM

i just read that you can burn 9.5-12.5 calories a minute running and about 7.5-9.5 calories a minute swiming. I dont know the exact stats because i read it in the news paper a few days ago. I remember that walking burns more calories a minute then playing tennis
Posted by: Cord

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/03/05 02:30 AM

Calorie burning during exercise is minimal in relation to your daily energy intake.This is not the principle source of 'fat burning' from exercise.
Exercise helps boost the metabolic rate so that you burn more energy 24/7 than those who do no physical activity.
If you were to run a whole marathon at your optimum pace you would only burn around 2500 calories! (that is an average adult males daily energy requirement),All that effort just to utilise your '3 squares a day'
An active body requires its systems to run at optimum efficiency, also it requires continual 'healing' of the muscle tissue, not to mention generation of new muscle fibre to help cope with the demands placed upon it. All this requires much more energy at all times of the day and night than a body perpetualy at rest.
Current studies indicate that anaerobic and high intensity exercise proves more successful for shedding pounds than endless hours of moderate intensity cardio.
Eat sensibly and train hard and your body will reflect that in its appearance.
Posted by: MAGr

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/03/05 06:15 AM

Because i am very injury prone (unlucky is the word i would use) i have had to get into swimming from a very young age. I will reccomend swimming over running any day. Swimming is a fat burning exercise like you cant imagine, in fact i had problems with too little fat at the peek of my training. You have to do it anaerobically, i.e. you have to tire yourself out, and you have to breathe every three-four strokes, not every stroke. It is iompact free, so there will be no pressure on your joints and you will not have old age knee problems that are associated with runners.
I read in a previous post, that people hate running because it is harder than swimming and therefore it is more effective. The reason it is harder is because people when they go to swim they swim at a stupid pace and that will obviously not have an effect on your fitness. You should aim to do a kilometer in 15-20 min and do 3km in a session, then you are talking.
One thing that has to be noted is that to swim effectively and fast enough you should not run because it trains opposite muscle contractions and therefore will make swimming harder without actually making you fitter. The same applies for running, if you run you should not swim too much.
I am not saying one is better for cardio than the other,
the effectiveness of any exercise depends on how you perform it, but swimming is impact free, something which i think is a very big plus!
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/03/05 09:43 AM

magr,

i think ur opinion holds merit. i think swimming is an excellent excersize for people that seek an impact free cardio workout.

i do disagree with ur advice that running and swimming are not complementary. many military workouts have swimming and running as components. USAF PJ's, NAVY SEAL's, MARINE'S, etc are all very heavy into doing both.

i swam a lot when i was younger, but i dont have a lot of time now that i'm older and busy. maybe when i retire and need an impact fee type workout swimming will come back.

i think the important thing is to stay busy!
Kel
Posted by: MAGr

Re: running or swimming ? - 06/03/05 09:52 AM

Well, you are right about them being complementary and you are not.
In the military the person needs to be proficient in all types of muscular movement, so training in both is compulsory.
If, however, you wish to become as quick as you can and gain the most out of the individual training in terms of fat loss and endurance then sticking to one works better. When you throw a punch you have to relax one muscle and contract the other, the more you do it the quicker the relaxation and tensing comes and the more effective the punch, its the same in running. Your body gets used to a specific type of movement and it can perform it easier if you just do that.
So if your goal is to be fit and not to become a professional swimmer then dont listen to me!