You all wanted it, now here it is

Posted by: JoelM

You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 08:21 AM

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs...tegory_rn=13501

So what do you think?

Useful tool or McDojo implement?
Posted by: Gemini

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 08:30 AM

For about the same money I can get a boost gauge for my Stang. IMO, that's an infomercial "must have" gimmick. But that's just me....

Regards,
Posted by: RangerG

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 08:42 AM

Ummm..I guess I should not comment as I have GPS and heart monitor for my running...

I sorta look like "Inspector Gadget" when I run...or cycle..
Posted by: Kintama

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 09:12 AM

Out of curiosity of how they work, I have looked into this technology recently...the basic technical problem with it is the durability of the pressure sensors, they don't last very long (for the cost of replacing them).

now, does that cost justify the usefulness of the training feedback it gives...in my opinion, no. The numbers it gives as feedback are just relative and don't really translate into anything with application. The misleading thing about it is, you can make the numbers higher without neccessarily improving your technique... what is a couple more points of psi mean when you are off balence after the punch? nada....you just went backwards in training.

At best, it provides an amusement (like these same devices you see at carnivals...punch the clown in the nose hard enough and win some dollar-store crap).
I could absolutely see it being used at mcdojo birthday parties (if it isn't already).

Anyone serious on improving technique would probably have better things to spend $200 on. Unless you have the money to blow, then why not. Take it out of the closet once a year and get a reading of your 'progress', but don't use it to train. my opinion.

future thoughts...
It's just a matter of time that this technology will change some aspects of sport MA. for better or for worse. (imagine these sensors in each opponents protective padding that relay the readings to judges). This would deter sparring with flurries of 'love tap' slapping strikes at least. but the bad might be opponents learning to defeat the technology instead of each other.
In any case, the cost and durability are just not quite there yet.
Posted by: Gemini

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 10:02 AM

Quote:

future thoughts...
It's just a matter of time that this technology will change some aspects of sport MA. for better or for worse. (imagine these sensors in each opponents protective padding that relay the readings to judges)....
In any case, the cost and durability are just not quite there yet.

It's funny you mention that, because the WTF already tried something like this and it failed miserably because the sensors were knocked "senseless" very quickly, so they gave up on it.
Posted by: OneHeartWay

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 12:10 PM

looks like a fun toy to have around, nothing more. if it were $19.99 instead of $199, i'd think about getting one.
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 02:20 PM

Well fortunatly my school has those built into it. It's my master. They should have one of those dohickys in every Mcdojo happy meal.
Posted by: DullBlade42

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 02:43 PM

I actually saw one of those in a magazine my Sensei gave to me. It caught my interest! Even though I don't have much luck with new electronic devices. They usually stop working or break after a week.

I think that might be very useful for measuring strength and so on...
Posted by: spectrum

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 03:03 PM

As a electrical nut I have some intrest in this stuff.
I asked the salesman at the MA super-show a few questions.
1) the transducer (sensor part) is a multiaxis accelerometer. the kind used in auto airbags.
This should be robust but replacement was like $60.
2) It has a USB port for use with a computer and for firmware downloads:)
3) wholesale should be more like $100

I like the design and how you can use it with lots of equipment. Using the computer you can log combos power and speed

I did'nt get one because I am cheap and hate to be a bata user.

It may be cool for the kids but most adults allready know how hard they hit.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 04:36 PM

I'd rather go by the grunts of my training partner holding the pad as to how effective my strikes were and save the 200 bucks.
Posted by: Gino

Re: You all wanted it, now here it is - 05/24/05 09:26 PM

Quote:

http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs...tegory_rn=13501

So what do you think?

Useful tool or McDojo implement?

Hey!! That's not the inflatable geisha girl I ordered!!