You know you're obsessed with martial arts when..

Posted by: SANCHIN31

You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 04:42 AM

If you spend all your free time on forums.
You do kata in strange places.
You constantly kick the top of door frames.
Open/close doors and turn on/off lights with your feet.
You're always thinking about how you would fight so-n-so.

your turn........
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 05:04 AM

Its 4.42 am. your time. Don't you ever sleep? Its 5 pm my time.

You go into a cat-stance when someone go past in a crowded lift.

You breathe out forcefully through the mouth and sink your chi to the tan tien after zipping up.

You do a slow punch, sanchin-like, when happen to walk past a mirror.

You tear french loaves with an eagle claw.
Posted by: Cord

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 05:04 AM

When you 'KIAI!' at, ahem, 'intimate' moments

When you use the yard brush as a Jo instead of getting rid of the leaves.

When it takes more than 30 mins a week to polish and oil your bladed weapon collection.

When you pass a building site, you size up timber for strikes, not home improvement.

When you instinctively drop and do 20 on your knuckles if you mess up at work.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 05:34 AM

Quote:

I work anywhere from 7pm - 8am.(My job is so difficult I have to do something to occupy my time)

When someone goes to shake your hand and you put them in a wristlock!
When you bow to people instead of shake hands.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 06:41 AM

when you are conscience of body mechanics when preparing dinner.

You test your reflexes by teasing the cat.

More than 50% of your dvd library has subtitles.

People at work ask you about the bruises on your forearms.

Walking down the street, you imagine an assailant and 'shadowbox' a technique around every corner.

You blow out candles with the compressed air of a punch.
Posted by: MikeChaff

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 06:47 AM

Quote:

Haha, I thought it was only me that did that because I'm a prat.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 07:04 AM

When you practice chokes on your pets.
When you wear your gi in Wal-Mart!
When you have more than three shirts with your school's name on them.
When someone is talking to you and you block them out looking for "targets" !
Posted by: Ninjasaurus

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 08:28 AM

Quote:

i think u have a internet adiction problem man get help
Posted by: oldman

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 08:36 AM

You are chosen to go on the television show Extreme Makeover and you ask the plastic surgeon to make you look like Choki Motobu.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 08:45 AM

From http://users.binary.net/thomcat/Stupidma.html

* you say to the salesman in the men's store, "Nice pants, but I don't think I can kick in them."
* when you want to say "I'm sorry" and involuntarily bow.
* you go to the shoe store to try on shoes.
* Instead of walking or jogging around the store, you practice pivoting, sweeps, stances and kicks.
* You check to see if the shoe has a sufficiently hard striking surface and whether it protects the toes well
* and lastly, you don't even care if (and they probably are) the other patrons are looking at you funny. (That's the big clue)
* Now when every time you pass a wall you start to wonder:'Is that structural or drywall?' THEN you know you've gone overboard.
* When you hit your head on a low doorway or ceiling and kick it in anger and damage it.
* "GAK! NO! The *left* side of the bathrobe goes on top...."
* "What was I doing in my office when I was spinning around and flailing my arms and legs? Ahhhhhmmmmmmm....."
* when you're practicing your arm blocks while driving down the highway, notice someone in another car staring at you, and suddenly turn your block into vigorously fanning away an imaginary fly
* when you use various strikes to turn lights off and on;
* don your clothing with kicks, thrusts, and punches
* open and close doors with spinning kicks
* find yourself idly doing iaido and kenjitsu moves with the plastic knives at the fast food place
* can't walk by anybody else from your school without casually exchanging a flurry of mock strikes and kicks
* haven't gotten over the phase of seeing everybody walking around with a blanket of little red cross-hairs on all their vital spots
* leap to your feet and shriek with indignation while watching "Kung Fu", "Walker, Texas Ranger", and "Highlander" at home
* deliberately go to see martial arts movies in the theater so you can leap to your feet and shriek with indignation during the movie, out in the parking lot, and with all your friends the next time you're at class
* find yourself practicing bo staff techniques in miniature with your pencil during dull meetings
* try to backfist the correct floor button on the inside of the elevator, based on your memory of the button's location, before you get in far enough to see it
* notice you never stand with your arms crossed or your hands in your pockets
* tend to keep at least one flavour of martial arts weapon close at hand by your bed when you sleep
* buy shoes either because they're particularly flexible or have steel toes
* have at least one fantasy where you are a martial arts hero and end the fight by saying something *so* cool that you make Arnold Shwarzenegger and Clint Eastwood look like nervous chatterboxes
* have begun to master the reflex to commit a very messy homicide when, directly after someone finds out you practice martial arts, they immediately ask "Are you a Black Belt ???"
* Urge to bow every time I enter or leave a room? Uh, not anymore, thankfully.
* I used to accidentally call one of my favorite professors 'sensei' with fair regularity, and I don't think I'll ever stop saying 'hai!' instead of 'yes!'.
* When standing in line you find yourself practicing some stance from your art
* When you bow going into and out of the bathroom
* When you don't use any tools while splitting firewood.
* When you are introduced to someone and you bow to greet them.
* Whenever you see some wood or concrete, even things like stools or tables, and get excited while you picture just how you would go about breaking it. Then you get funny looks as you feel it and give it a look of hard concentration, then maybe measure off a few times.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 09:02 AM

heh...some of those I'll never admit.

There is one that I will admit, that I think is becoming more popular in US homes...we take shoes off at the door and line them up. The reasons are as much culture influence as it is not having to vacuum every other day.
Posted by: coxne

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 09:45 AM

Your friends run away whenever you say "Let me try something I learned..."

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 10:03 AM

When someone mentions to you that they study MA, the first thing you ask is to see thier lineage chart.

You concentrate on your breathing whenever you are forced into a 'moment of silence'.

When camping, you are always the first one to volunteer to break up the firewood.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 10:36 AM

You wear any one of these t-shirts wherever you go:
http://www.superaction.com/108/classic/
When you trip up you do a breakfall and kip-up from the ground into fighting stance.
Your friends wonder why flies keep dying in your chopsticks.
Whenever you're stuck for something to talk about, you always turn the conversation to what happened the last time you were sparring.
You have hand-made your own Gi.
You have hand-made any weapons you are training with.
Anyone has ever told someone else "oh my god, he/she can fly!" (Has happened to me )
If anyone has told you that you look better than most Kung Fu movie stars. (I know I do )
If you critique movies based on their MA performances, rather than stunt work or acting talent.
Posted by: WildBill

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 10:57 AM

Ohhh crap....I`ve got a new addiction...8). This one is something I`ve done all my life. You test your reflexes by teasing the cat. I always have scratches and bite marks on my hands from the cat, the cat enjoys it as much as I do.
Posted by: MiSt

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 11:01 AM

"You test your reflexes by teasing the cat. I always have scratches and bite marks on my hands from the cat, the cat enjoys it as much as I do."

LoL same here Bill :-)
Posted by: Xavier

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 11:09 AM

when you carry your boken around the house with you all day just hoping someone wil break in(without a gun)
Posted by: Karateka13

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 12:55 PM

Hehe, I tease my cat a lot too, only I don't get as many wounds 'cause he's declawed.

One of my MA habits is bowing, too. I don't do it all the way but my head almost always goes down in a kind of half-bow when I'm thanking someone (outside my family and friends) for something or if I want to ask a question. I also have a habit of accepting things someone gives me with both hands--like if my teacher is handing out papers and I'm not paying full attention, I sometimes end up putting out both hands, acccepting it and bowing my head.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 01:46 PM

Each one of these needs to be followed by a drum-riff (Ba-doom Bom...tiisshhh)

* I saw a Japanese and American businessman meet one time: The American bowed and the Japanese guy shook his head.

* You know you are obsessed when you are diagnosed with
"Nincribophobia"
(The irrational fear of being surprize attacked by Ninjas hiding in your house)

* You use the words "One does..." instead of using the words "I do..." like a cheap MA flick:
- "One does not know the answer to such things."
- "Do as one says, not as one does."
- "One does love you."

* You're obsessed if work interferes with your class and forum time.

* (drawing on oldman's earlier funny) You get cologin implants in your first two knuckles.

* How you can tell if you are McObsessed: You bow in seiza at Elvis' grave.
Posted by: DullBlade42

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 02:43 PM

I'm 4 for 5!

*You know you're obsessed with Martial Arts when you get too involved with pillow fights.

*You have Bruce Lee underpants. (Don't lie, I know some of you have them )

*You constantly look for things to jump/roll off of at inappropriate places (Like your sister's wedding)

*You find a forum online about MA and you constantly visit it and everyone knows your life story and - hold on...

Good topic, SANCHIN!
Posted by: Shaymo

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 03:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I work anywhere from 7pm - 8am.(My job is so difficult I have to do something to occupy my time)

When someone goes to shake your hand and you put them in a wristlock!
When you bow to people instead of shake hands.

i plead guilty to that
Posted by: harlan

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 04:13 PM

When you visit the garden/hardware center at Walmart, and stop to handle everything to see if it can be used like a tonfa (bo, sai, chain-whip, etc.).

Oh, and I admit to the cat thing.
Posted by: oldman

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 04:39 PM

When you practice Naihanchi in the restroom at work.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 04:42 PM

harlan...previous hard alcohol references, NOW chains and whips??!

I can't HANDLE the truth! lol
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 04:52 PM

Quote:

When you practice Naihanchi in the restroom at work.

OR....

Do kata when your alone in an elevator

Or...

have a vast collection of Hong Kong kung fu movies

Or...

you arrange all of lifes other priorities around MA training

Or....

you have an on-going dialogue with your spouse about using your credit card to " buy all that martial arts crap "

Or...

you spend hours and hours on the FA Forums that you could, for instance, spend doing volunteer work to help people (or something).

Just a few thoughts.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 05:08 PM

situations that might tell you to lighten up on your training....

someone at an office party comes up behind you to slap you on the back and wish you a merry christmas...you don't remember anything for the next 3 seconds and see the person staring at you in horror from the floor next to a broken table...the room is silent....everyone quietly sips their jungle punch.
Posted by: shorin-ji

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 05:47 PM

when you bow at every doorstep you enter

jeeze i do it constantly, i almost did it at the movie theatre the other day.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 05:52 PM

Eeek, I'm obsessed!!

When you've mapped out your entire property, marking out key defensive spots, and then you destroy the map after you memorize it.

I'm guilty of that one, but I will have the upperhand if anything ever does happen.
Posted by: robot

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 08:26 PM

You are phsycos unlike me which i only BOw everywhere i go and to every person alive.I never talk on the site wait...What am i doing here i'm going CRAZY AAAAAAAAAAAHHHA!!.HELP ME. O ya when you have every edition of jackie chan,jet lee,bruce lee and every other martial art film that has been made.Oh ya on april fools everybody is scared of me.I just cant figure out why.Samething on ALL HOLLOWS EVE. I always dress up as a normal person and go trick and treating.everytime when they would say we have no candy a minute later they give me a ton of candy.They stopped saying WE got no candy and all they do is gimme candy and they go back into their house shaking.Never knew why. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>@#$%LOL@$%#$
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/16/05 09:03 PM

OH MY GOD!!! I'm guilty of 90% of the above, a least!

LOL, Cord:

Quote:

When you 'KIAI!' at, ahem, 'intimate' moments

Wouldn't go that far, but concentrating on breathing through dan-tien is a different story...

A few more:

* If, when you brush the floor, you make sure to use the proper body mechanics for your strokes to have maximum efficiency with minimum effort (and when you're done with brushing, you perform a jo kata with the broom).

*If the light-switches at home are in poor condition because you always toggle them with ippon-nukite.

*If you get out of bed in the morning using lei-yue-da-ting (kip-up).

*If, on the dance-floor, you do kata instead of dancing.

*If, when someone gives you directions (or any other conversation that involves your vis-a-vis to do moves with his hands), you can't help thinking about which wrist-locks you could put him in from his current position.

*If you've got rid of a number of tools and ustensils(hammer, pliers, nutcracker, etc...) which you were no longer using, since you now do barehanded (for conditioning purpose) anything you used to use them for.

*If you use internal strikes to knock on doors.

*If people need to remind you that this cloth hung on their kitchen wall is NOT a makiwara.

*If people need to remind you that their coat-hanger is NOT a mook-jong.

*If you're itching to perform an escape from the bear-hug when your old mother gives you a mark of affection.

*If you're itching to perform an escape from the wrist-hold when the doctor takes your pulse on the radial artery.

*If you're itching to perform an escape from the strangle-hold when the doctor takes your pulse on the carotid artery.

*If you're itching to perform a defense against the knife when the doctor hands you a pen to fill the cheque.

*If when you type, you use your right hand to hit the keys and keep your left hand up to guard your face.

*If you do chiburi with your car-key before "sheathing" it in the ignition.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/16/05 09:39 PM

Oh dear....

I must be in a very bad way because I do most of these things including the cat practice thing [look ma no scratches!!] and kata / punch / kick practice in the ladies restroom

I always use my feet for opening doors and switching on/off lights, what are feet for after all, just another pair of hands!

I often want to bow entering rooms and buildings and yell out HAI! when someone asks me a question.

Ditto that on the clothing and footware too, I usually try out some low shiko dachi and some kicks.....

pretty sad bunch arent we!

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/17/05 03:07 AM

If you've ever used one of your bladed weapons to cut meat.

REALLY guilty on that one.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/17/05 05:05 AM

Ok, I really dont appreciate everyone talking about me like this and when did you all find time to spy on me? Yes, I do 90% of the things stated here.
My favorites:

* When someone walks up behind you while you are seated and you spin in your chair in a defensive posture*

* When the first thing you do when you enter a room is look for what you could turn into a weapon*

*When you mentally picture in what order you would take out the people in the room if the situation turned hostile at a completely non-violent event (son's christmas pagaent, kids birthday party, etc.)*

*When you punch concrete walls while walking down hallways where ever you see them to toughen up your knuckles*

*When you sit in a split to play video games with your children*

Guilty of all these I am afraid.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/17/05 06:18 AM

You went and bought a cheap sword specifically to use for yard work, as a form of training.

Still guilty.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/17/05 06:32 AM

Wow! You guys are obsessed!
If you've taken pictures of your dog wearing a gi.(guilty)
If you call one of your buddies in the middle of the night because you figured something out.(guilty)
If you start conversations with"Let me show you something."
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/17/05 06:35 AM

How about when on the morning of your wedding, your step mum, your three kids, stepdaughter, aunt and uncle are all flapping about the floweres, the cars, their make up and hair...........and you are in the garden practising your kata.

Sad but true folks
Sharon

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/17/05 06:49 AM

Typical dreams of the obsessed MAist...

* You are fighting but your legs are knee-deep in mochi, and none of your techniques are effective.

* You have an entire conversation with 'Bushi Matsumura' but wake up not understanding a word since it was in an extict language of Okinawa.

* multiple opponent fight, but you never remember the outcome or the dream finishes prematurely.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/17/05 06:53 AM

On a MA forum, in a thread about MA obsession, you, as well as several other members, can come up with several symptoms of said obsession, knowing that every one you come up with is true about you, and 90% of what's mentioned is true about every other participant in said thread.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/17/05 09:27 AM

bushi,

and? what does that tell you/us?

The only thing it demonstrates to me is that we are able to laugh at ourselves...which is a good thing.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/17/05 08:26 PM

Just caught myself doing another of those stupid things!

As I was waiting for my dinner in the micro-wave to be ready, I suddenly realized I was doing a nichogama kata with my knife and fork (without the footwork, since I was sitting)...

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/17/05 08:36 PM

Quote:

If you've ever used one of your bladed weapons to cut meat.

REALLY guilty on that one.

I use my broadsword for making coleslaw.

Mind you that's what we jousters do as our fun distraction thing when we're not belting people about with 14ft long lances or charging at them with our horses....

We stick the cabbages [or melons or pumpkins] on a pole and have a whack at it as we gallop past.

They disintegrate surprisingly easily with a strike. Makes it a bit interesting for the horse too as they are not prepared for the cabbage to explode like that!

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 02:16 AM

Kintama, that tells me two things, one, that we are all obsessed with MA, and two, that we know it and are able to laugh at it.

Let's look at the bright side, there are certainly far worse things to be obsessed with or addicted to.
Posted by: underdog

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 10:44 AM

I do all of these things! How many do these?

Not only do you dream of doing martial arts, but you wake yourself up with sudden movements from your dreams.

Or... can't fall asleep because you just thought of another bunkai application for something and you have to completely work it out.

Oh no! I just realized that the name for my computer to turn it on and off is "UKE"!

Your new co-worker from Taiwan wants to know how you learned so many Chinese words.

Your acupuncturist asks you if you are an acupuncturist.

You do your weight training in the gym from martial arts stances.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 11:34 AM

underdog, harlan and Victor might ID these (or any fellow New England yanks):

* You can't look at or say the two letter abbreviation for Massachusetts without thinking 'Martial Arts'.

* During those cold winter nights, instead of raising your thermostat, you perform Sanchin.

* During the summer, if you have perfomed Sanchin outdoors and tried to make the mosquitoes explode from blood pressure.

* Also during the winter, if you have ever worn thermal underwear under your gi....and felt like a wimp for doing so.

* If you've ever had to defrost your gi with a hairdryer.

* The dojo entrance looks like a salvation army depot with all of the coats,boots,hats,scarfs and gloves.

* Thinking 'AC in the dojo' means 'Armed Combat'.

* You watch a recreation of a bayonet-to-bayonet revolution battle and tell the people you are with how they are doing it wrong.
Posted by: imcrazy

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 11:41 AM

Hehe I'm obsessed too

Especially the light switch and door thing.

Some more to add:

When you break down boxes at work using an axe kick

When you enter a room and quickly look around to make sure no one is waiting to jump out at you and attack you.

You are always on alert... everywhere.
Posted by: MN JC

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 11:55 AM

When you are sitting in traffic and find yourself going over kata's in your head...

Yikes I didn't think I was obsessed, now I am begining to see the signs.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 02:41 PM

Friends will no longer watch any action movie that contain hand to hand combat because you point out what is bad, or how you can do it better.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/18/05 04:30 PM

* you begin your salad prep & cooking by tossing the food & cutting it in the air (CAREFUL!)

* you close your office door more than twice to "figure something out"

* you attend your son's christening (or any important event) w/ a shiner/fat lip/limp/(choose your own malady)

* your begin to explain some MA stuff & your wife interjects "Not again..."

* you try to use The Force to crush recyclable cans

* you're channel surfing & you pause longer than 10 seconds when you land on any MA movie/show

* you have a velvet painting of Elvis in a GI in your garage (your wife won't let it in the house...why?)

(some of these are real but I won't admit to which)
Posted by: sunspots

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 04:33 PM

Or your friends see a MA action movie and ask if you can do something they saw!

I sometimes kick file cabinets shut at work, and most always kick the door-opening gadgets. I've bowed into every room in my house, and called my academic advisor "sensei." Anyone calling my name hears "Sir!" or "Ma'am!" as the case may be.

One of my teachers adamantly and absolutely REFUSES to tie his shoes, because he wants to be able to get them off in a fraction of a second if he needs to kick... (He tucks the laces inside so he doesn't trip.)
Posted by: MN JC

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 04:41 PM

Quote:

One of my teachers adamantly and absolutely REFUSES to tie his shoes, because he wants to be able to get them off in a fraction of a second if he needs to kick... (He tucks the laces inside so he doesn't trip.)

I started to wear loafers for the same reason. Ah, Uhm, I mean I have found loafers to be a very comfortable shoe that works well with the suits I must wear ... Yah, that is what I meant.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/18/05 07:09 PM

Quote:

I started wearing those kungfu type slip on shoes in summer so I could move about faster and still kick ok... plus they allow more dexterity for door opening and the like.

I find I'm doing the "balance on one leg holding stuff in both hands" thing while the other foot opens the door or does something else. Makes for some rather strange looks at times from people that haven't seen it before.

I haven't changed over yet to the boots for winter but I will have to shortly because its getting rather wet.
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/18/05 08:52 PM

*You use the toilet exclusively in a horse-riding stance and concetrate on proper breathing
Posted by: Foolsgold

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/18/05 08:53 PM

And honestly, how do people function without opening/closing things with their feet? It boggles the mind
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/19/05 01:33 AM

Yeah, people love it when you hook kick your truck door shut while holding grocery bags in both hands.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/19/05 07:24 AM

Or when you hook kick your car door whith your gi bag in one hand, your sparring gear bag over your shoulder, and a bag with takeout chinese food in the other hand.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/19/05 12:13 PM

Or when you have more bags of MA unforms, weapons and gear than you do of work stuff, like briefcases, etc.
Posted by: OperationSkinnyNinja

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/19/05 01:23 PM

I've woken up because I had my pillow in a clinch and was pretty seriously trying to knee it in my sleep... man, that's a position that takes figuring out when you wake up. Why am I holding my pillow like this and why does my right leg feel fatigued? Gave myself a case of "blanket" burn doing that once. On my knee, of course - thank god.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/19/05 01:34 PM

Quote:

Gave myself a case of "blanket" burn doing that once.

"Honey, I SWEAR it was because I was kneeing my pillow in my sleep. Honey, you know there isn't anyone else besides you!"

I do have a tendancy to kick things in my sleep though. I kicked my wall so hard that a shelf fell off the wall and hit me.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/19/05 02:03 PM

You know you're obsessed with martial arts when...

* You are leaving for a week (on vacation/holiday), and you feel the need to post a topic on an MA forum letting people know. (lol for you, Cord)

* You stare off into space as you rub your protective cup while repeating "My preeeh-cious....my...precious."

* The most unworthy troll could state "Studying MA is a waste of time, I study GlockRyu." and you just wouldn't be able to let it go.

* Something MA related is hanging in your car, stuck to the bumper, or swinging from your keychain.
Posted by: backkick

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/19/05 03:39 PM

ou know you're obsessed with martial arts when...

You go to 3 different MA classes within the span of 2 days (TKD, jujitsu, judo).
Posted by: KiDoHae

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/19/05 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I started to wear loafers for the same reason. Ah, Uhm, I mean I have found loafers to be a very comfortable shoe that works well with the suits I must wear ... Yah, that is what I meant.

Hello all,

would anyone here really discard there shoes (and the protecion/additioanl damage they offer) that quickly to engage in a fight? YIKES!
Posted by: Foundation

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/19/05 04:42 PM

Why not kick with the shoes? Shoes add weight to the impact so the kick's harder especcially those with an iron tip.
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/19/05 10:58 PM

Quote:

You do kata in strange places.
You constantly kick the top of door frames.
You're always thinking about how you would fight so-n-so.

your turn........

well I do one of those things.........

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/20/05 01:51 AM

For us rednecks,

When your shopping for boots, you have to check the toe and heel to make sure you've got a good kicking boot.

Someone ever starts a fight with me when I'm wearing my cowboy boots, they really need to watch my feet.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/20/05 09:00 AM

...when trapped in a PTO function you would rather talk to the most stuck-up rich mother in the pack because AT LEAST she is obsessed with Tennis (and you can talk about training times, schedules, comparing swings, protein diets, etc.).

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/20/05 09:40 AM

I enjoy talking to the stuck-up people at PTO too...I try to find out if they are stuck up because they think they are better, or if they are just ignorant and are trying to mask that fact....either way, they get annoyed at the subtle line of questioning and my job is done.

You know you're an analaly retentive martial arts snob when...
* You evaluate MA'ist by the length of their lineage chart instead of their depth in skill.

* You iron your gi to have creases.

* You take a shower BEFORE class.

* You never talk to anyone lower in rank, and act slightly shocked when they talk to you.

* You get visibly annoyed when students misunderstand new concepts that took you years to get...just to feel and look superior.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/20/05 09:46 AM

Wait...that's not normal?

Quote:

You know you're an analaly retentive martial arts snob when...You take a shower BEFORE class

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/20/05 10:06 AM

you ever do kumite with someone smelling like lilacs?

lol..sure a shower any time is better than none, I just question if someone obsessed with not wanting BO during a workout is worth 40 gallons of hot water. Taking a shower after a workout seems intuitivly justified, and in some cases, should be manditory.
Posted by: Roxer

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/20/05 10:15 AM

For judokas mostly:
-you think learning to fall helps you learn to throw people.
-you see someone taking a bad fall off his bike, and the first word that pops into your head is "ippon!"
-every time you see a big open space you have to restrain yourself from doing ukemi for no apparent reason.
-when you see some big guy walking down the street you plan how to throw him on his back and then armlock him.
-you secretely wish that some untrained, unarmed, and unaccompanied robber would come and attempt to rob you.
-your girlfriend thinks you're a freak because you have callouses on the back of your fingers from doing judo grips.
-you instinctively bridge and roll whenever you wake up from a nightmare.
-you're teaching your kid to ride a bike and start off with ukemi drills!
-you get into bed with a forward roll.
-a shirtless attacker becomes your worst nightmare.
-you choose your dates by how well they look in a Judogi.
-you spend more time on top of your friends than your girlfriend.
-you say "you should see this new technique I learned" and all of a sudden you're the only one in the room.
-you keep having this dream about your mother-in-law reversing your best choke.
-your dog shakes hands with everyone but you.
-when you are sawing wood or hammering nails you consider it uchikomi.
-you can take your child to practice because you're in the same class.

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/20/05 10:17 AM

You men are sooo practical. Lilacs are lovely.

But seriouosly, I have an acute sense of smell, and won't bore you with the difference between the smell of sweat produced under different circumstances. I consider it respectful to shower before class.
Posted by: BAMA REDNECK9000

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/20/05 11:22 AM

You practice techniques on clothes manichans at the store
You bow in and out of every building you enter
You use a katana to cut vegetabled, meat, bread, etc.
While sweeping your house, you end up practicing bo kata with the broom.
you dont walk in your sleep, you practice kata.
Whenever you shake someones hand, you can't resist putting them in a wrist lock or an arm bar
You close doors with side kicks.
you speak in Zen like riddles when carrying on a casual conversation.
You think you are a reincarnation of Atila the Hun, Bruce Lee, Gichen Funakoshi, Motobu Choki, Morihei Uyeshiba, or Gusukuma Shinpan.
Posted by: Smouha_Karate

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/22/05 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Haha, I thought it was only me that did that because I'm a prat.

I do exactly the same thing every morning i get out of bed.

When you decide what to wear today, relying on wether you would be able to kick in it. When you find your self going through kata's whilst trying to sleep. When you find your self up really late reading about Karate. When you find your self talking to someone, thinking of ways to defend your self if they were to attack. HAVE I GONE MAD???
Posted by: shorin-ji

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts when.. - 05/24/05 05:01 PM

Quote:

you speak in Zen like riddles when carrying on a casual conversation.

i had a sensai who would do that all the time
Posted by: Tsurugi_Oni

Re: You know you're obsessed with martial arts wh - 05/24/05 07:14 PM

You know when you're obsessed when you get kicked out of the public library becayse you practicing for 2 hours..... (the mean old hag......)