Best fighting style for small, light people?

Posted by: littleone

Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 12:11 AM

I'm trying to find the right style for my body type. I'm a girl, 17, 5'1 and 94 lbs. I would like to learn how to defend myself effectively (and gain some weight)
Any ideas?
Posted by: OneStepBeyond

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 05:04 AM

I am 12, 5'1 and 94 pounds!!
I use combonations of kickboxing TKD and Wing Chun.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 07:46 AM

I am bigger than both of you but still smal compared to most of the people I train with. I am just over 5ft 7, and weigh around 130 pounds.

If you fancy karate, wado ryu is a good style for small people (I am biased though, so check it out for yourself). Kung fu/jkd must be good for small people because Bruce Lee was tiny, juitsu or aikido would be good if you would prefer a grappling art, because you will use your opponents strength against them rather that your strength against theirs.

Really though, the best thing is to check out lots of clubs. The instructor is more important than the style. Find one you feel comfortable with and whose students impress you. Try out a few classes and see what you think.

Good luck finding an art/instructor right for you.
Sharon
P.S. welcome to the forums [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: littleone

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 09:25 AM

Thanks for welcoming me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
[QUOTE] juitsu or aikido would be good if you would prefer a grappling art, because you will use your opponents strength against them rather that your strength against theirs. [/QUOTE]

a grappling art sounds good because I am not very strong.

I used to take karate when I was younger but I only got to yellow belt and we moved, I haven't looked in to a new school since.
But just recently, I went to a martial arts school near me and met the teacher, he was really nice and there were only 3 people to his classes. The first thing he teaches you are self defence moves to get your opponent down long enough for you to run. Then he gets into the more complicated stuff later.

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 11:07 AM

Aikido, Ju Jitsu, Kung Fu....

Karate can help with the size difference too..but it takes time to develope power...

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 11:38 AM

Take up running in addition to whatever art.
Posted by: ninja-raiden

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 12:47 PM

Let's face it... For someone your size, pure grappling arts aren't the best idea. I'm refering to BJJ, wrestling, etc. mainly because these arts rely prodominantly on atleast having an average adult sized body to be applied to a real situation IMO. For example, it would be pretty hard for you to head and arm a 6' tall agressor.

I recommend a good striking art. Mauy thai sounds ideal for someone like you. Nothing fancy, just basic moves that will prepare you for the street.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 12:54 PM

Decide what you want out of Martial Arts and be honest with yourself.

Nearly every person I have ever met that says they do it to defend themselves, to keep fit etc. is really their way of covering up the fact that they want to look cool doing fancy kicks and/or breaking boards and playing with weapons. The others really want to get their hands dirty and kick some ass!! (You get the odd one that is genuinely training for Self defence, but they are few and far between and usually lacking in self confidence).

There is always a halfway house, BJJ and boxing will benefit you as will JKD (although JKD instructors tend to have a base art in which their JKD practice is based). But in all honesty BJJ, boxing and JKD to a lesser extent is a bit like a dry red wine, its not to everybodies taste although it sure will get you drunk!! (bad analogy I know!).

Any way to the point, I wouldn't worry about your weight, you might want to see a doctor to get checked out to make sure you don't have any problems.

As for choosing an art, it's easy to make mistakes early so shop around and see what you want; if it just self defence you will want a school with a reality feel, you will know when you get their (mainly because their will be little or no kicks above the waist). If you see fancy looking stuff like Wu shu, capoeira and TKD they are not as easy to apply to street defence (that was not an invitation to every Wu shu, capoeira and TKD exponent to come up with a 100 examples of how a jump spinning back kick knocked out 7 people at once).

In all honesty go find something you like the look of and then buy "Dog's don't know kung fu: a guide to female self proctection" by Jamie O'keefe http://www.newbreedbooks.co.uk/ that will pretty much sort you out.
Posted by: elleTKD

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 04:58 PM

hey littleone,

Im also 17, about 4'11 and coming in about 90 right now I have to agree with ninja-raiden in that grappling arts arent the best choice.

Does it have to be a martial art? Ask yourself what you want. If fitness and defence skills are what you are looking for, take self defence classes and aerobic classes. If you want an education and a more technical base, then a martial art
(preferably striking).

As for gaining weight, do you eat healthy i the right amounts? If so, dont worry about gaining weight. You are the weight intended for your frame. If you are an irregular eater who isnt eating the best and losing some pounds, stop it immediatly and eat healthy.

NEVER think that your size can stop you from doing a martial art.
Posted by: arnisguy@calgary

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/01/03 08:57 PM

welcome to the board little one, I myself am pretty short I'm only 5'4 and 155lbs.at 23 yrs. old, I don't think I'm gonna grow anymore): but my Sensei said that I'm built like a brick since I used to do some weight training alot before and I'm the shortest in our Karate class being the only asian in our Renbukai Karate dojo. Anyway here's some martial arts that I think yould like Arnis,Karate,wing chun,tkd....etc. In the end it's all up to you and how you apply your chosen art.

[This message has been edited by arnisguy@calgary (edited 12-01-2003).]

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 07:14 AM

Let me end this nonsense....

You need both a grappling and striking art..

You can strike to help you grapple (weak the opponent them apply a lock) and grapple to make an opening to strike

The two go hand in hand....

With grappling/wrestling alot of energy has to be spent when you are under your oppponent....(especially if he is bigger than you)
Posted by: MuayThai

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 07:48 AM

Shotokan....

....you need a grappling and striking art to fignt in a mixed martial arts tournament! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] for street defense and self defense in general you need a very simple and practical method, no matter what art you train in there will be some simple techniques that do not require much skill or thought when applying them, it is these techniques that will help you defend yourself. You only need to refine a couple of very practical, simple and effecient techniques for street self defense... honestly, what do you think you will be doing? fighting in a UFC match? I dont think so, you are going to either be attacked by some guy who fights like a windmill (flailing everywhere) or a complete psyhco, you want to be able to avoid his attack and simply knock him out! quickly and hard.

Knowledge in how to clinch is very helpful, as without having any knowledge of this very basic of techniques you may loose balance and fall which then leaves you to the mercy of your attackers boots. Train to stay on your feet... I aint saying this out of arguement but out of sheer common sense, you do not want to fight on the ground if you can help it. Train hard in standup clinch and have your partner try to throw you down while you practice standing, if you end up on the ground then you get up! do not stay there, street is not UFC or any ring, it is a dangerous place and the ground is no place to fight from if you can in any way use your skills to keep it standing. If you get him on the ground then run! dont forget groin shots and headbutts are allowed on the street! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

then on top of all that you as an individual should know if its a good idea to try and run or stand and fight, if you have no choice but to fight then you as an individual must be mentally prepared for this. If he (the attacker is more than likely going to be a he) is much bigger than you then I sugest a good kick in the pearls, or lift a weapon and hit him with it and avoiding any such "over powering" encounters, thats stupid, do you want hospitalised? or raped? I assume no, so then dont act a maggot and just do whatever you need to do in order to get some breathing space for a runner.

If its a street attack you have to show some form of aggression towards him. If you are small and he is big do fight him to gain time so you can run.

If it comes to you being in a fight with him then as you are small you are going to bite, scratch and pull, knee, elbow, you must show a lot of aggression so he lets go cos, god forbid, if that was ever to happen to you I can guarantee all training you have ever had will be forgot, you will be left with some very simple things like punch and elbow, bite and scratch, you will be left with aggression.

You can ignore what I say but I would sugest if you are really serious then go to a very credible self defense teacher and learn some very simple but practical techniques that will give you some time to run.

You are not a man, we have testosterone, we are stronger than women and then on top of that you are small and attackers usually are hell bent on getting what they want! Unless you are some woman who is actually nuts and knows how to fight and can controll all the emotions that are experienced during a fight do not kid yourself by learning complicated stuff, do learn it so you know it but for self defense drill you mind only to use what is practical and sensible.

Think about it.

Thats the reallity, you are small and even if you do know BJJ the chances of you wrestling a man who is crazed is highly unlikely! learn how to gain time so as you can get away to call for help. carry friggen pepper spray in your bag or something...

goodluck.
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 08:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MuayThai:
Thats the reallity, you are small and even if you do know BJJ the chances of you wrestling a man who is crazed is highly unlikely! learn how to gain time so as you can get away to call for help. carry friggen pepper spray in your bag or something...
[/QUOTE]

Sorry Muay Thai, I'm going to disagree with you again [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] My personal view is that women should learn grappling, because the likelihood of an attacker wanting to pin her to the ground is greater than it is for blokes. Given the incidence of so called "date rape" compared to stranger rape, it's possible that she may find herself working from her back before she realises what's going on. Strength and size differentials will also make defeating even a clumsy take down harder, I'd have thought.

My own opinion is that along with practical striking training (in something that utilises hands, feet, elbows and knees) along with grappling working from the guard would be best.

The other thing that I think is imporatant is to do something that's an ongoing training process, including sparring and rolling with people that are trying to not let you do your thing. I wouldn't trust the knowledge imparted at a two day seminar or similar event to stay available for use when you really need it.

This post from rec.martial-arts says it more eloquently than I do;
[QUOTE]
Boy, this is a potential can of worms! Seriously, there's no one "good art for women" -- like men, it depends on the individual woman, what
she's looking for, what her strengths and weaknesses are, etc. That's the easy catch-all general answer to your question.

More specifically, I DO have some recommendations for a woman to consider when investigating which art to study. [I practice jujitsu, just to state my inherent bias upfront.] First off, I'm a firm believer in well-roundedness in any martial art, esp. if self-defense is an important objective of one's training: this means incorporating fighting techniques suitable for many ranges (i.e, stand-up punching and kicking and grappling/ground fighting, for example). Also, as a woman, I am most likely, in any street situation, going to be up against a larger, stronger opponent. Therefore, training in an art like judo, aikido or jujitsu -- where one is trained to use one's opponent's force against him (or her) in addition to one's own force -- is extremely valuable for smaller people of EITHER gender. The striking styles (karate, e.g.,) are excellent for developing speed, strength and coordination when fighting. But if that's a woman's focus, I would still recommend she take a few grappling classes -- Angie, are you listening?!? -- to get some ground-fighting experience in, since if a woman doesn't manage to run
away from an attacker after a quick pre-emptive strike, it's VERY likely she will end up on the ground, and quite possibly on her back with her legs apart... it would be VERY useful to be well-versed in fighting from the guard in that sort of situation!

Many women are uncomfortable with this sort of in-close fighting style, and I understand that. I'm not recommending everyone take up grappling in lieu of a striking art. But grappling IS a critical element when considering women's self-defense, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

-Jennifer
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
A 'stereotypical' rapist probably doesn't know much about groundfighting, and will often have his weight forward trying to pin the woman's shoulders to the ground with one hand, while freeing up the skirt (and other things) with the other hand. We westerners don't really like to drop our weight properly, so he should be in the perfect position for an arm bar or triangle choke - things beginners are usually taught. If she can slip her shoulder out from under the one hand, it should be a perfect setup to break the perp's elbow - in this case, don't be gentle, and push the hips as high as they can go while trying to force his face into the ground with the feet/legs. I would recomend she immediately choke him out once the elbow is snapped, to give enough time to escape. Also, make sure to get a good DNA sample under the fingernails for positive ID later (his wallet can also help - but give it to the authorities intact [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ).

A word of warning that most here will agree with - learning this stuff once in a seminar will not really help. You have to train continuously to make your body know it as natural movement. When the time comes, you won't have time to think it through.

(Posted by Paul Maybury)
[/QUOTE]

Whatever you do do, Littleone, choose something that you enjoy, at a club where you like the people. That way you'll be motivated to keep training, which is probably the most important thing of all!

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 12-02-2003).]

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 08:33 AM

I should have said this

"you are small and even if you do know BJJ the chances of you wrestling a man INTO SUBMISSION who is crazed is highly unlikely!"

honestly do not fool yourself,

you are tiny!!!! lol.

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 09:07 AM

True it is unlikely...but what if you combine striking and grappling..e.g...

kneeing the guy in the groin and then appling a rear choke...

Yep grappling is overated in the UFC/media and promoted by fans like Jkogas...(who is trying to either convince himself that he has choosen the right path or is trying to promote his dojo or whatever he calls it on this forum) lol

Use stand up grappling to compliment your stand up game and your opponent will have a hard time taking the fight to the ground...Why? Because you will be controlling him with a lock while stamping at his neck (just and e.g lol)

later man

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 09:55 AM

lets keep it nuetral! shotokan picking fights, tut tut tut! John hasnt said anything thats lies its just the way he says it! lol, no offense John ya mad man.

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 09:59 AM

K I'll take that

maybe he should take a course on how to say things without offending anybody....Speech-101 lol

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 10:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shotokan:
maybe he should take a course on how to say things without offending anybody....Speech-101 [/QUOTE]

I can think of a bunch of people I'd consider more in need of it than JKogas...

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 12-02-2003).]

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/02/03 11:50 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think small people should take a grappling art. But i think they should learn a striking art first, because for smaller people those are going to be the most effective in a street scenario.

Maybe if they became super great at grappling they could do that, but no fight is going to start on the ground.

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/04/03 09:35 AM

CHIN-NA (Chinese fast wrestling)
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/04/03 10:03 AM

Chin-na is hand seizing/joint locks. I believe you mean San Shou for fast wrestling.

Kind regards,

Raul

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/04/03 12:19 PM

Someone stated that when grappling and you are one on bottom you burn alot of energy.This shows an improper grasp of jj,more specificly bjj.
When I have opponent in my guard, I am resting.I am making him burn energy fighting to get positional dominance, all the while "feeling" his weight and helping him set himself up for a submission move.

I believe alot of people do not understand that any style of jj takes very little power
to perform correctly. As my instructor tells us,"If you muscle it, it is not jujitsu"

As for original question of post- Any art you take requires adaptation to your body.A quality instructor will know this and teach you accordingly.Through real sparring(not point or sport) you will be able to feel,experience what you can realisticly make work against various opponents in various situations.

Ultimately, in a real life situation where you are attacked there are no guarentees.
Posted by: wentwest

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/04/03 07:06 PM

Little one,

I would recommend Wing Chun for a variety of reasons. First, it's a very straight forward system of kung fu that has basically been reduced to the most effective principles and techniques from a variety of kung fu styles. It is not a flowery style with lots of pretty movements, it's all about economy of movement, and energy.

Second, it has been proven to be a very capable (read practical) system for self defense that can be learned in a shorter time than many styles/systems. Within a short time (perhaps a few weeks to months depending on your aptitude and resolution) you will learn practical techniques that you can begin to use in an altercation.

Third, it's a style that excells in close range (in-fighting) hand to hand situations, and this is one of the things that makes it great for smaller people.

Fourth, it's somewhat scientific and logical in its basic principles. Being a Virgo, I love that! For example, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. That principle is fundamental in Wing Chun, where almost all attacks are delivered stright to the centerline of your opponent (while protectiong your own centerline).

Fifth, legend suggests that it was developed by a woman, who took the best of what worked for her from a variety of styles, and condensed it into Wing Chun. In any case, it is a reputable style for smaller people.

Sixth, for the most part, Wing Chun techniques don't rely on power to be effective. You don't muscle or force anything. In some ways, Wing Chun shares a few principles with Aikido (like not trying to stop your opponent's attack/energy, but rather controlling and redirecting it).

I'll admit that I'm biased, but I have dabbled in a number of different styles, and while I like a number of styles, I really, really like this one.

I'm 5' 9" and weigh 153 lbs, so I'm not exactly a big guy... and I feel like Wing Chun is perfect for me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: wentwest

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/04/03 07:09 PM

[This message has been edited by wentwest (edited 12-04-2003).]

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/04/03 08:11 PM

Wing Chun has stand up grappling....

You need both if you strikes are good and your stand up grappling is good you won't have a problem controlling where the fight goes....
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/04/03 09:18 PM

Get a big boyfriend. Learn to run quick and learn jiu-jitsu for the worst case scenario. You're too small to cause any real physical damage. Look to train things that will allow a momentary distraction so that you can escape and get away (like a quick eye-jab, etc).

-John

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/05/03 04:01 PM

JKogas, you are telling her to depend on her boyfriend? sounds like a plan.... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] And what do you mean she cant cause "real" physical damage?

For all we know, she isnt interested in self defense. maybe she wants a martial art for the art.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/05/03 04:13 PM

If she wants an art for the art, that's good too. People train for different reasons and they're all valid.

My post was regarding self-defense. As far as becoming dependent, I would never recommend something like that. However, I WOULD rather someone be realistic and have realistic expectations at the same time.

It's just physics that a smaller person isn't going to cause as much damage as a larger person. Imagine this: A Volkswagon Beetle and an 18 wheel transfer truck are heading directly toward each other at the same speed. Why vehicle is going to sustain the most damage? We all know it will be the smaller one, obviously.

I NEVER teach anyone to rely on "vital point" striking. It has a way of not working like so many expect. The street is NOT the first place you want to find something like that out!

For this reason, I stand by my suggestions.

-John
Posted by: karate-do

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/07/03 07:51 AM

in gung fu the smaller anmals are suited to smaller people the best ones for a small person are probably snake and mantis and they bring a small person to theyre maximum potention by encouraging you to come in close so a larger person wouldnt be able to strike you properly whilst you use sidsteping motions and circular blows to get effective hits when they cant hit effectivly at all
Posted by: Ender

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/07/03 09:43 AM

Jkogas, saying that small people arent able to defend themselves is completely ignorant.

Have you ever seen the average Japanese or Okinawan?

5'1.

Some of the best fighters in history, due to, and heres the funny part...KARATE.

Karate was designed for small people (which is why many westerners, being tall, have trouble with some of the stances).

Being able to defendthemselves may require MORE training, but by no means is it impossible.

-Dan

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/07/03 01:38 PM

My post was regarding self-defense. As far as becoming dependent, I would never recommend something like that. However, I WOULD rather someone be realistic and have realistic expectations at the same time.

So the realistic expectations are....? Basically, you are telling her to find a big man and tote him along with her everywhere she goes.

It's just physics that a smaller person isn't going to cause as much damage as a larger person.

Ok, so we have changed from "You're too small to cause any real physical damage" to not being able to cause AS MUCH damage as a larger person. Does it matter if she causes as much as a larger person? no. What matters is if she can apply techniques effectively in a attack situation. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

Go ahead and stick by your suggestions. But realize they were in no way helpful to littleone.

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/07/03 01:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elleTKD:
"My post was regarding self-defense. As far as becoming dependent, I would never recommend something like that. However, I WOULD rather someone be realistic and have realistic expectations at the same time."

So the realistic expectations are....? Basically, you are telling her to find a big man and tote him along with her everywhere she goes.

"It's just physics that a smaller person isn't going to cause as much damage as a larger person. "

Ok, so we have changed from "You're too small to cause any real physical damage" to not being able to cause AS MUCH damage as a larger person. Does it matter if she causes as much as a larger person? no. What matters is if she can apply techniques effectively in a attack situation. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

Go ahead and stick by your suggestions. But realize they were in no way helpful to littleone.

[/QUOTE]
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Best fighting style for small, light people? - 12/07/03 02:06 PM

Don't know but this is the 15000th post [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG].